Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't really care for the prospect of teams being able to fine fans, regardless of what it's for

And it really does become a free speech issue if the city or state issues the fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hate speech is protected as long as it's not used to incite violence IIRC.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Any word on the softball/beer/rec league thread? I would make it but I am a blushing newb to these forums. I also play on two rec leagues and love talking about it (to an annoying degree, probably)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I mentioned something earlier about Showalter and freckles. I found the article. There's more.

Tim Kurkjian posted:

Showalter told us what scouts look for in a player. "They're looking for high-butt guys," he said. "You don't want a low-butt guy." And, "You don't want a 10-to-2 guy," he said, referring to a player whose feet point outward, like the hands on a clock at 10 minutes to 2. "You want a guy whose feet point in, not out."

Of course they're looking for high-butt guys. Everybody is looking for high-butt guys.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5422772

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Came across this stuff from my childhood

The lineup card and Morgan picture were given to me when I had an extended stay in the hospital. The Sam Horn card came when me and my brother ran into him in the bathroom of a Bennigan's after a game. He pulled a stack of his own baseball cards out of his pocket and signed two of them for us.

Edit: That lineup card does not match what BR.com has for that date. The gently caress?

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 3, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Where do you guys get those little graphs on home runs with the exit speed and trajectory and all?

I wanted to check out Bonifacio's from last night for KC.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looks like there's other things going on at Fenway besides racist chants:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/1/15499650/red-sox-fan-proposal-fenway-chant-she-said-no

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remember where you were on this day, the day lester nailed a dude on the basepaths

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Joey Freshwater posted:

There's no way the stadium or team would realistically be able to enforce it except to ban them from the stadium until it's paid - then you have people bitching about free speech without actually understanding what it is.

I instead submit that they should have their pictures taken and posters be hung with their pictures and "I'm a stupid dumb racist" printed on them.

Intruder posted:

I don't really care for the prospect of teams being able to fine fans, regardless of what it's for

And it really does become a free speech issue if the city or state issues the fine

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

How about just a lifetime ban from Fenway, so you don't send the message that it's ok to shout racial epithets as long as you're wealthy

Realchat: You trespass the offending fan (as you would a field jumper) and offer to rescind it upon restitution - a donation of volunteer time and/or money to a qualifying organization.

In a perfect world, the targeted player also has to approve of lifting the ban... but things get gross and weird fast when you put a victim in a situation where they look bad for withholding forgiveness. Even still, you've avoided free speech concerns and demonstrated that racist heckling is as frowned upon as entering the field of play.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

I will be cooking a grilli cheese for dinner, tonight. I'm thinking if I cook it during the 6th inning break it'll be ready just in time for me to slam it down on the floor when he blows the save, tonight.

It wasn't a save so I hope you didn't need to break out the swiffer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

Where do you guys get those little graphs on home runs with the exit speed and trajectory and all?

I wanted to check out Bonifacio's from last night for KC.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed

Click the game in question, you'll see that each ball in play gets a link.

For example:

and

Both from Aaron Judge tonight. #AllRise, motherfuckers.

EDIT: Oh poo poo they also added these nice little 3d visualizations...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 3, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

apparently machado just went off on all of the red sox organization

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/859591255940050945

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just do what European soccer and does and play some games in an empty stadium

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just do what European soccer and does and play some games in an empty stadium

yeah

this poo poo is bad but it's absolutely puny compared to some of the stuff that goes on in a handful of soccer stadiums. Italy is supposedly the worst and it is absolutely Medieval

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

yeah

this poo poo is bad but it's absolutely puny compared to some of the stuff that goes on in a handful of soccer stadiums. Italy is supposedly the worst and it is absolutely Medieval

A classmate of mine in college had the opportunity to play in an Italian league (I think it was one of the lower leagues, he wasn't playing against Juventus or nothin') and said anytime he played on the road, he was subject to all kinds of poo poo, signs implying he was a monkey, people throwing bananas, rocks and batteries, cups with warm piss, etc.

And he just was just an average D-Mid. Imagine if he'd been a great player. I don't know how Balotelli does it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Love to take a six run lead into the ninth, get two outs and still be sweating the outcome. Might be time to write off Matt Wisler -- and I guess the whole Kimbrel/BJ trade as salary relief cause the other major return on that was Cameron Maybin who was flipped for uhh, Ian Krol?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Eric Thames: .326/.446/.761, 202 wRC+ 11HR
Aaron Judge: .313/.424/.795, 233 wRC+ 12HR

I like Judge.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I hate that the O's lost but Sox fans you're cool with me. That was cool and good.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Abel Wingnut posted:

What did he do?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bewbies posted:

yeah

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A classmate of mine in college had the opportunity to play in an Italian league (I think it was one of the lower leagues, he wasn't playing against Juventus or nothin') and said anytime he played on the road, he was subject to all kinds of poo poo, signs implying he was a monkey, people throwing bananas, rocks and batteries, cups with warm piss, etc.

And he just was just an average D-Mid. Imagine if he'd been a great player. I don't know how Balotelli does it.

BBC posted:

He was booked for dissent after asking the referee to stop Sunday's Serie A match against Cagliari, claiming he was being racially abused.

The 32-year-old ex-Ghana international then walked off the pitch in protest - for which he received a second yellow card, officials have now confirmed.

They added not enough fans took part in the abuse to trigger action.

The Serie A disciplinary committee agreed their actions were "deplorable" but said its guidelines meant it could not impose sanctions as only "approximately 10" supporters were involved - fewer than 1% of the Cagliari supporters in the ground,

Earlier on Tuesday, world football players' union Fifpro had called for Muntari's punishment to be rescinded - though it was then unaware the player had been given a second yellow card and sent off.

"Muntari was well within his rights to approach the referee," said a Fifpro statement.

"Players should feel comfortable bringing any issue to the attention of the referee, especially one as significant as allegations of racism in the workplace.

"We urge Italian authorities to hear Muntari's version of events, investigate why the situation was mismanaged, and take firm action to ensure this never happens again."

Ex-Portsmouth and Sunderland player Muntari was playing for AC Milan when then team-mate Kevin-Prince Boateng walked off the pitch because of racist chanting during a friendly with lower-league side Pro Patria in January 2013.

Boateng has since tweeted his support to Muntari, saying he is "so proud" of his former team-mate.

Meanwhile the Serie A committee warned Lazio and Inter Milan faced partial stadium closures if there was a repeat of recent racist behaviour shown by their fans.

Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly suffered abuse from Inter fans while Lazio supporters targeted Roma defender Antonio Ruediger.

:italy:

now with bonus obligatory Lazio racism

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kensei posted:

What did he do?

He was salty about Sale throwing behind him.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

Machado went off because race stuff and because Sale threw at Machado because Bundy threw at Betts because Barnes threw at Machado because Pedy got spiked. Hard to keep track.

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 3, 2017

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/1340AMFOXSports/status/859601948873543681

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MarneyGellner/status/859580082012246017

https://twitter.com/RealClearSports/status/859581269834956800

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 3, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

He must have really gotten ahold of...
https://twitter.com/RhettBollinger/status/859614879036133376

Oh. Carry on then.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Aaron loving Judge is the best goddamn baseballer alive

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I agree with Manny Machado, please disband the Red Sox.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what's the kangaroo court fine for this
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v1345175383/phi-chc-lester-catches-altherr-stealing-second

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed

Click the game in question, you'll see that each ball in play gets a link.

Thanks for this, I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out how to copy the picture to imgur but Bonifacio's was 107 mph exit at 28 degrees, ended up 432 feet away from home. Here's the video.

In other news the Royals were shut out again tonight, on the season they have scored 2 runs or less in 13 out of 25 games. So, uh, I guess I need to appreciate the long dingers when they happen.

e: Weird what I usually do was sending me to some html page instead of an image, thanks Inspector.

I fully expect to be impressed by at least one more Royals home run in the year 2017. I'm not holding my breath on two though.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 3, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Sadly, since he threw to second, this won't deter broadcasters from pointing out he can't throw to first

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

Thanks for this, I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out how to copy the picture to imgur but Bonifacio's was 107 mph exit at 28 degrees, ended up 432 feet away from home. Here's the video.

In other news the Royals were shut out again tonight, on the season they have scored 2 runs or less in 13 out of 25 games. So, uh, I guess I need to appreciate the long dingers when they happen.

Just right-click copy/upload to Imgur.

Also the 3D representations they have now are seriously awesome:

You can get them from top-down, home plate (seen here), outfield, or first base angles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The shame and embarrassment is punishment enough.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Eric Thames: .326/.446/.761, 202 wRC+ 11HR
Aaron Judge: .313/.424/.795, 233 wRC+ 12HR

I like Judge.
Freddie Freeman: .378/.491/.811, 228 wRC+, 10HR

On track for another season that might win an MVP if he was on a playoff team

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Grew up a Red Sox fan and it's baffling to me that they can be so much more unlikable than the Yankees ever but here we are

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

kensei posted:

What did he do?

"loving bullshit. loving bullshit coward stuff. That’s stuff that you don’t loving do. But I’m not on that side, I’m not in that organization. They’re still thinking about that same slide that I did that was no intention on hurting anybody and I’m still paying, I’m still trying to get hit at. Getting thrown at my loving head, getting loving thrown at everywhere. It’s loving bullshit. I’ve lost mad respect for that organization, for that coaching staff, for everyone over there.

[...]

Pitchers out there with loving balls in their hands, throwing 100 mph trying to hit people. And I’ve loving got a bat too. I could go out there and crush somebody if I wanted to. But you know what, I’d get suspended for a year and the pitcher only gets suspended for two games. That’s not cool."

O's fan but Machado is 100% justified in saying this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Freddie Freeman: .378/.491/.811, 228 wRC+, 10HR

On track for another season that might win an MVP if he was on a playoff team

poo poo, I knew Freddie was off to a good start but not that good. Wow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Manny Machado has done some dumb asshat stuff in the past but he is also a cool dude who seems to always get singled out and thrown at so I understand why he's sick and tired of it happening especially after that slide which was clearly not meant to hurt anyone.

The Red Sox are the only ones who come out of this looking bad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sale would have never thrown at machado if the red sox had a mature, veteran clubhouse presence like drake laroche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

poo poo, I knew Freddie was off to a good start but not that good. Wow.
He had this weird slump at the beginning of 2016 but has been clobbering the gently caress out of the ball for basically an enitre calendar year. My fear is he's peaking about two years too early to matter.

They're still a bad team but it's insane how much the Braves' lineup has changed from the '15 roster of Freddie and seven AAAA position players -- Freeman is a god; Inciarte, Phillips, Kemp and Markakis are, at least for the moment, more than credible MLB starters; Flowers/Suzuki will regress to garbage at the C but are both hot right now; Garcia is not entirely embarrassing until Ruiz is ready and Swanson is slumping but not in a way that raises a real red flag about his future. Several of those guys are stopgaps but I think they're adequate at least for the goal of putting a major league team on the field to open SunTrust.

• Locked thread