Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

pasaluki posted:

"loving bullshit. loving bullshit coward stuff. That’s stuff that you don’t loving do. But I’m not on that side, I’m not in that organization. They’re still thinking about that same slide that I did that was no intention on hurting anybody and I’m still paying, I’m still trying to get hit at. Getting thrown at my loving head, getting loving thrown at everywhere. It’s loving bullshit. I’ve lost mad respect for that organization, for that coaching staff, for everyone over there.

[...]

Pitchers out there with loving balls in their hands, throwing 100 mph trying to hit people. And I’ve loving got a bat too. I could go out there and crush somebody if I wanted to. But you know what, I’d get suspended for a year and the pitcher only gets suspended for two games. That’s not cool."

O's fan but Machado is 100% justified in saying this.
I saw this as it happened, but the only thing I wonder is if MLBHQ is going to fine him or call him in for a sit-down for implying that he could start hitting opponents with his bat if he wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's certainly not wrong about pitchers getting light suspensions for throwing 100mph at dudes. If he or any other hitter went after a pitcher with the bat in this day and age it sure seems like it would provoke a much longer suspension.

Then again, Marichal was only suspended 8 games for bashing Roseboro over the head with a bat, but that was 1965.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 3, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Here's Marwin Gonzalez's grand slam, which is apparently a homerun 2% of the time based on EV

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

He's certainly not wrong about pitchers getting light suspensions for throwing 100mph at dudes. If he or any other hitter went after a pitcher with the bat in this day and age it sure seems like it would provoke a much longer suspension.

Then again, Marichal was only suspended 8 games for bashing Roseboro over the head with a bat, but that was 1965.
Yes, but attacking a player with a bat is seen as the line that you just can't cross. Even though his suspension was only eight games, after his career members of the BBWAA used that on-field incident as justification to vote against Marichal for Hall of Fame induction, and it took a public appeal from the victim - Jonny Roseboro - for the writers to relent.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The Red Sox are being assholes no doubt but lol if you really think machado is being anything but a whiny bitch.

'Why don't i just attack people with my bat then??' :qq:

Edit: removed the unnecessary 'wah'

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 3, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Drunk Canuck posted:

I agree with Manny Machado, please disband the Red Sox.

If the Red Sox are disbanded, where will all my hatred go? I mean, sure I can hate Atlanta and the Nats, but it's so much more satisfying to hate the Sox.

R.D. Mangles posted:

sale would have never thrown at machado if the red sox had a mature, veteran clubhouse presence like drake laroche

This will never not be hilarious.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

NiceGuy posted:

The Red Sox are being assholes no doubt but lol if you really think machado is being anything but a whiny bitch.

Edit: removed the unnecessary 'wah'

he's not threatening to attack anyone with a bat. he's calling out mlb and their incommensurate penalties. a guy throws a 100mph object at you, he gets a game. a guy comes at you with a bat, he probably gets banned for a season or life. sure, the bat-wielder will likely inflict far more damage, but the gap in potential injury is not as great as these penalties suggest.

they need to fix it, and that's what he's calling out. at least in that segment. he's definitely calling out the red sox elsewhere in his statement.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 3, 2017

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

NiceGuy posted:

Machado's point is that he's NOT doing that but that it is closer to the level of force the Red Sox are trying to use against him compared to a loving SLIDE. The MLB both at the game and after as well as countless analysts have said the slide was not dirty. But for sake of argument let's say Machado went full Ty Cobb and sharpened his cleats and went to the game that day with the intent of taking out Pedroia. It still would be bullshit to throw at his head.

The irony of the situation is if the Red Sox were just regular assholes they would peg him in the ribs or leg or whatever which I wouldn't agree with but would understand and everyone just shrugs.

But the Red Sox are being incompetent psychotic assholes. Incompetent because they still haven't even managed to hit Machado after how many tries? 5? 6?
And psychotic because they are STILL trying to hit him and are basically playing mind games.

So imo Manny has a right to complain about the fact that he has to wonder if every Red Sox pitcher is A. Going to pitch to him or B. Try to maim him on national TV because like a month ago he slid awkwardly that one time. Hell at this point I'm surprised Machado isn't doing a slow rendition of the Michigan J Frog whenever he hits a homerun against them, he loving hates the Red Sox.

And he should.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 3, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pasaluki posted:

Hell at this point I'm surprised Machado isn't doing a slow rendition of the Michigan J Frog whenever he hits a homerun against them, he loving hates the Red Sox.

gently caress the Red Sox. gently caress Chris Sale. This would own so hard

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
To be honest, I'm just happy it isn't my team that are the crazy idiot psychos this year. I mean the Royals are garbage, but at least their not head-hunting right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

To be honest, I'm just happy it isn't my team that are the crazy idiot psychos this year. I mean the Royals are garbage, but at least their not head-hunting right now.

They're also currently the worst team in the league.

I think I'd probably rather be psychotic and good than what they are so far.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I would like to just say I was under the understanding that the Dylan/Mookie HBP was intentional until just now, which definitely changes my interpretation of the events. Because yeah, I was having a hard time giving a poo poo about throwing at machado again if they were continuing things even after Matt Barnes made himself look like a chump. But if the Dylan pitch was incidental, yeah, Sale obviously took it too far and the Red Sox are bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Grittybeard posted:

They're also currently the worst team in the league.

I think I'd probably rather be psychotic and good than what they are so far.
The Red Sox don't even have "good" going for them, anyway

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alpha_destroy posted:

Probably because their biggest culprit is no longer with the team :rip:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nate RFB posted:

The Red Sox don't even have "good" going for them, anyway

I'd probably also feel better about being terrible if Chris Sale was on the team really.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think the Orioles and Red Sox should both have to forfeit all of this month's games while they attend some sort of bridge-building workshops so that they be nice to each other

e: wait the Jays don't even play the Sox this month

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Hold up, the Twins have loving TVs in their seats?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

The Berzerker posted:

I think the Orioles and Red Sox should both have to forfeit all of this month's games while they attend some sort of bridge-building workshops so that they be nice to each other

e: wait the Jays don't even play the Sox this month

Rivalry ended with YANKEES
Now ORIOLES is my bitter rival

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Is Chris Sale the same guy who cut up his jersey because he didn't like the way it looked?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Miz Kriss posted:

Is Chris Sale the same guy who cut up his jersey because he didn't like the way it looked?

It's so much better than that, he cut up all the jerseys so the team couldn't wear them.

This is a pretty good writeup on it.

e: I'd forgotten that he didn't do it with scissors or something, he did it with a goddamned knife. This guy was murdering jerseys in the locker room while his team was taking batting practice.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2017

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Miz Kriss posted:

I believe he said it was because they were uncomfortable (it was a throwback jersey)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

RisqueBarber posted:

Hold up, the Twins have loving TVs in their seats?

Why do you think the woman got drilled in the face? Darn kids these days, not paying attention (for 460ft HRs to deadcenter)

Real answer: It's an all-inclusive space with free food & drink (the cost is in the season ticket). IIRC they're surface tablets that allow fans to choose between different camera and/or network feeds of the game. There's no good scoreboard viewing from that spot, so it's pretty necessary for replays etc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I no longer really give a poo poo about the Yankees or the Angels it's kind of weird that the only team I kind of dislike is the one team I follow/ostensibly care about :geno:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Why do you think the woman got drilled in the face? Darn kids these days, not paying attention (for 460ft HRs to deadcenter)

Real answer: It's an all-inclusive space with free food & drink (the cost is in the season ticket). IIRC they're surface tablets that allow fans to choose between different camera and/or network feeds of the game. There's no good scoreboard viewing from that spot, so it's pretty necessary for replays etc.

Yeah it's a VIP area, which is also why they have a restaurant back there (which you can see in the video of the dong on the other tweet).

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

That's actually really loving cool

Shame to have to watch the twins though

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Miz Kriss posted:

If Chris Sale and MadBum ever ended up on the same team, people would die.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
At least Sale didn't take a pair of scissors to Machado. Baby steps!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Grittybeard posted:

It's so much better than that, he cut up all the jerseys so the team couldn't wear them.

This is a pretty good writeup on it.

e: I'd forgotten that he didn't do it with scissors or something, he did it with a goddamned knife. This guy was murdering jerseys in the locker room while his team was taking batting practice.

That is... wow. Didn't realize it was all the jerseys.

In happier news, Cubs catcher Miguel Montero and his wife became American citizens on Monday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I saw a tweet that Montero saw Ryan Dempster after the ceremony and told him "Get out of my country" which is hilarious.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it's a VIP area, which is also why they have a restaurant back there (which you can see in the video of the dong on the other tweet).

its weird because nowadays i can afford the vip poo poo, and yet id rather buy tickets somewhere really close to the infield. i can get my own drat food, i just want to see 90% of the action up close.

i assume areas like that are for companies to do events for staff who may or may not care that much about baseball and for like birthday parties and stuff.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mike Fiers is allowing 4.26 HR/9

:stare:

Meanwhile Josh Hader is sporting these locks

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Saw Nelson Cruz put one off the facade of the "Catch" section last year and was impressed enough.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1184193583/seamin-cruz-hammers-tworun-homer-to-deep-center/?player_id=443558
The extra bit to put it in the section is awesome. Sano the first to do it?

cis autodrag posted:

its weird because nowadays i can afford the vip poo poo, and yet id rather buy tickets somewhere really close to the infield. i can get my own drat food, i just want to see 90% of the action up close.

Ditto, though front row of that section is on my short list. I tend to splurge on stubhub the 3-4 times I get to see the M's each season. In recent years, garbage M's vs. garbage Twins tickets can be had for cheap - even if you're grabbing decent seats.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kathy tried to kick Jimmy. So Jimmy's friend threw a rock at Kathy. One of Kathy's friends didn't like that so he threw a rock at another friend of Jimmy's. Kathy said all of Jimmy's friends were dumb. And a really bad boy called Kathy's friend a very bad word which the grownups didn't like. And then another friend of Jimmy's threw another rock at Kathy. So Kathy said all of Jimmy's friends were big butts but he used bad words.

Just sit there and don't make me turn around.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Saw Nelson Cruz put one off the facade of the "Catch" section last year and was impressed enough.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1184193583/seamin-cruz-hammers-tworun-homer-to-deep-center/?player_id=443558
The extra bit to put it in the section is awesome. Sano the first to do it?

Park did it last year

http://m.mlb.com/video/v593993283/laamin-park-follows-arcias-homer-with-his-own/?c_id=mlb

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/859781424336994304

Setting cool poo poo to titanic music is funny

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Reading the comments from Sox fans about Machado is hilarious. Is this what BFiB is like for you guys? This is great.

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

You have a ring, are you even allowed to have a bucket list anymore?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Whose to say you actually saw a balk? What is a balk? It's never been proven that balks actually exist.

#balkskeptic

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

You have a ring, are you even allowed to have a bucket list anymore?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my next goal is to go to a game where the Cubs don't allow a first inning run but that could take years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my next goal is to go to a game where the Cubs don't allow a first inning run but that could take years

Cubs play the Mets on the 12th of June.

• Locked thread