Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

You had a chance to say "baseball balk-it list" and missed it and now you have to live with that for the rest of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was at a game where a guy struck out and made it safely to first on a passed ball. That was cool!

The beauty of baseball is any given game there's a chance for you to see something you've never seen before.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RCarr posted:

I was at a game where a guy struck out and made it safely to first on a passed ball. That was cool!

The beauty of baseball is any given game there's a chance for you to see something you've never seen before.

Elias should make an app where you enter the games you went to and it tells you really stupid stats, like "this is the first time you were at an extra inning game" or "this is the first time you saw a 34-year old second baseman hit a triple in the fifth inning"

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My wife and I went to a game for our first date. In like the seventh my wife shut her eyes, slouches down and says "I just want to see someone get hit by the ball" and as soon as she said "ball" someone got hit and she missed it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Poque posted:

Elias should make an app where you enter the games you went to and it tells you really stupid stats, like "this is the first time you were at an extra inning game" or "this is the first time you saw a 34-year old second baseman hit a triple in the fifth inning"

There's money in this idea. That would be really cool.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Yeah that idea is actually really neat-o and if I had any technical expertise I'd be all over it! Do it up, goons!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't go to Busch or you will be shot.

quote:

A woman was grazed in the arm by a stray bullet during Tuesday night's Cardinals game inside Busch Stadium.

A St. Louis police said the 34-year-old woman was sitting in her seat in section 141 at about 9:40 p.m. when she felt pain to her arm. She removed her jacket and noticed a small abrasion to her elbow. She went to the first aid station, and workers there contacted an off-duty police officer working a secondary security job there, police said.

The police department released a statement confirming the incident in response to questions from the Post-Dispatch Wednesday morning.

"This further amplifies our yearly message of encouraging 'Fun Without Guns,'" the statement concluded. "We know 'what goes up must come down,' and in this case, an innocent victim was struck. The department constantly stresses the importance of safety and responsible gun ownership."

Whoever wrote this article has bad grammar

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 3, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Heyo; just got literal row 1 tickets to Friday's game. I've had some pretty baller seats over the years; but never the very first row.

Pretty pumped for that :unsmith:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Walked posted:

Heyo; just got literal row 1 tickets to Friday's game. I've had some pretty baller seats over the years; but never the very first row.

Be careful not to visibly sulk about your team losing (or getting eliminated). They put you on TV looking all glum if you do that in the first row.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When do the Red Sox play in Baltimore next? I kind of want to watch them to see how they treat the team. Especially if Sale is pitching.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Whose to say you actually saw a balk? What is a balk? It's never been proven that balks actually exist.

#balkskeptic

You could take that Jon Bois article about "What is a catch?" and apply it to balks without much work.

I actually really hope they change the rules for what lefties are allowed to do on pick-off moves. It's facially stupid that they can throw to first without taking a foot off the rubber but righties can't.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

I've been to probably a hundred baseball games with you and I know I've seen at least 3 balks in person, including last night, so I am skeptical of this.

My weird baseball game list includes going to the game after Darryl Kile died and also the "here comes a pizza" game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Walked posted:

Bring/make a sign for the camera that states that this pitcher is Something Awful

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I've never seen a balk live that I can remember. Odd/cool/bad things I've seen live: Catcher's interference, Yadier Molina triple, Beltran's 1,000th career XBH, Estrada taking a no-no into the 8th, go-ahead pinch hit RBI double by Wainwright in extras, Wainwright blowing out his Achilles.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Bring/make a sign for the camera that states that this pitcher is Something Awful

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

seiferguy posted:

When do the Red Sox play in Baltimore next? I kind of want to watch them to see how they treat the team. Especially if Sale is pitching.

June 1-4

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Oh yeah, I also went to the game where Carlos Marmol hit his only major league home run.

And being in attendance at game 7 of the 2016 World Series was pretty sweet. :smugdog:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You could take that Jon Bois article about "What is a catch?" and apply it to balks without much work.

I actually really hope they change the rules for what lefties are allowed to do on pick-off moves. It's facially stupid that they can throw to first without taking a foot off the rubber but righties can't.

Balk Rules
1) You can't just be up there and just doin' a balk like that.
1a. A balk is when you
1b. Okay well listen. A balk is when you balk the
1c. Let me start over
1c-a. The pitcher is not allowed to do a motion to the, uh, batter, that prohibits the batter from doing, you know, just trying to hit the ball. You can't do that.
1c-b. Once the pitcher is in the stretch, he can't be over here and say to the runner, like, "I'm gonna get ya! I'm gonna tag you out! You better watch your butt!" and then just be like he didn't even do that.
1c-b(1). Like, if you're about to pitch and then don't pitch, you have to still pitch. You cannot not pitch. Does that make any sense?
1c-b(2). You gotta be, throwing motion of the ball, and then, until you just throw it.
1c-b(2)-a. Okay, well, you can have the ball up here, like this, but then there's the balk you gotta think about.
1c-b(2)-b. Fairuza Balk hasn't been in any movies in forever. I hope she wasn't typecast as that racist lady in American History X.
1c-b(2)-b(i). Oh wait, she was in The Waterboy too! That would be even worse.
1c-b(2)-b(ii). "get in mah bellah" -- Adam Water, "The Waterboy." Haha, classic...
1c-b(3). Okay seriously though. A balk is when the pitcher makes a movement that, as determined by, when you do a move involving the baseball and field of
2) Do not do a balk please.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do you have stairs in your clubhouse?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

I've never seen a balk live that I can remember. Odd/cool/bad things I've seen live: Catcher's interference, Yadier Molina triple, Beltran's 1,000th career XBH, Estrada taking a no-no into the 8th, go-ahead pinch hit RBI double by Wainwright in extras, Wainwright blowing out his Achilles.

I've seen a couple balks but the game I'll always remember was Randy Johnson's perfect game in Atlanta. It was a Sunday night game and it was beautiful outside. Randy is down there pitching a perfect game and it got to the 7th-8th inning and you could see people heading for the exits. I was so loving mad - it was Randy Johnson for one, two it was only a 2-0 game at that point and three it was a perfect loving game!

The people that stayed did give him a standing ovation though, which was cool

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I saw a drunk Yankees fan beat the piss out of a drunk Mets fan in the nose bleeds of Yankees stadium.

That's probably the most unique thing I've seen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For some strange reason Not Ervin Santana won AL Pitcher of the Month and Not MarcusEric Thames won NL Player of the Month for April

Trout and Ivan Nova were AL Player and NL Pitcher, to round out the awards

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 3, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I watched the Giants celebrate their world series win in 2010.

:smithicide:

looking at the Wikipedia for that series is depressing.

quote:

In Game 4, the Giants sent 21-year-old rookie Madison Bumgarner to the hill against the Rangers' Tommy Hunter

Also, Tim Lincecum beat us twice.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

IcePhoenix posted:

Marcus Thames

Not bad for a 40 year old that hasn't played in 6 years!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

For some strange reason Not Ervin Santana won AL Pitcher of the Month and Not Marcus Thames won NL Player of the Month for April

Trout and Ivan Nova were AL Player and NL Pitcher, to round out the awards

When I first saw that Trout had won AL Player I was gonna kick up a fuss about it not being Judge but he won AL Rookie of the Month :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

Not bad for a 40 year old that hasn't played in 6 years!

:downs: whoops

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've only been to 3-4 games due to being a filthy foreigner, but one of the ones I've been to featured this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Home Run derby could be absolutely spectacular this year, with all these big bruisers now! And if I remember correctly, as a bonus, Berman isn't doing them for ESPN anymore!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Coolest things I've seen in person are the Holliday dickshot, Kershaw's opening day home run (which happened in the 8th of a scoreless tie), and Mike Piazza hitting two home runs in the final game of 1993 to keep the Giants out of the postseason. I saw Carlos Quentin break Zack Greinke's collar bone too but that wasn't very cool.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Top three coolest for me were a Johan/Pedro duel, Game 2 of the '91 series, and singing the anthem the first game after 9/11 :911:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
I saw Carlos Guillen hit a walkoff 3-run HR against the Yankees (batting right handed) at 3:30 AM

Also Torii Hunter hitting a come from behind walkoff 3-run HR off of Grant Balfour, but that wasn't quite as epic.

Edit: Went to Game 1 of the 2006 World Series, but that sucked :v:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I got to go to Stephen Strasburg's debut with my dad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

alpha_destroy posted:

my wife shut her eyes, slouches down and says "I just want to see someone get hit by the ball"

drat, your wife is ice cold.

I was at a game that was going fine and as soon as I got up to go to the bathroom, Travis d'Arnaud got injured.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The baseball moment I'll never forget was being at Game 5 of the 2001 World Series. I've been to a lot of sporting events, including other World Series, NBA Finals, etc. and nothing could ever compare to the electricity that you could feel in the stadium that night.

This home run landed about 20 feet away from me :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNSsDRJb7U

I get goosebumps just watching it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I saw Bret Saberhagen's comeback game in 2001 and John Smoltz's first game as a Red Sock. The latter was the day Michael Jackson died so the organist just played MJ songs the whole evening.

I also saw Wil Nieves hit a walk-off homer against the Cubs :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Poque posted:

I was at the game too, and it also was my first time seeing a balk. Well, I didn't actually see it, I looked away, and turned back to see the ump signalling everyone to move a base. I was pissed I missed it, and they didn't show a replay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was at the game too, and it also was my first time seeing a balk. Well, I didn't actually see it, I looked away, and turned back to see the ump signalling everyone to move a base. I was pissed I missed it, and they didn't show a replay.

Yeah, I think showing a replay would be a lot like showing a replay on a called strike 3 - they don't want to show up the ump so they don't do it on the videoboard.

holler at us next time, we can meet up. Really if anybody goes to Wrigley I can just show my badge and come into the ballpark and find you if I'm in the area :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
last year i was at a dodgers@brewers game and Puig finished the game with a .666 ops for the season thus far. that's about the most interesting thing i've seen in person.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got to chant "Who's your Daddy?" with 55,000 other people @ game 2 of the 2009 World Series when the Yankes beat Pedro. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ego symphonic posted:

I got to go to Stephen Strasburg's debut with my dad.

Poque and I went to Willson Contreras' debut with my dad. It was on Father's Day and he homered on the first pitch he saw. :unsmith:

• Locked thread