Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have literally 0 recollection of Pedro Martinez ever being on the Phillies :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My WORST baseball memory was being at Game 7 of the ALCS. This is the series when the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 series deficit, and broke the Yankees voodoo curse over them. When Damon hit that grand slam in the second inning I knew it was over. That was a long, silent drive home with my Dad.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 3, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My first game was the second game of the Braves 1991 season. We walked up and got field level seats behind home plate.

I have ticket stubs I can get out, but don't recall much of anything memorable. I was at the game after Johnny Estrada got trucked, forcing Atlanta to call up Brian McCann.

Saw replacement players in a 1995 spring training game. Also the same game I got autographs of Herb Score and Bob Feller.

I cover prep games these days and see a whole lot of weird stuff.
- A top of the 7th where all three out were recorded at third base.
- A player gets hit on the rear end for a walk-off win.
- No-hitter when even the coaches weren't aware.
- Multiple run-scoring strikeouts.
- A team whose win was vacated because they were raided by the Department of Homeland Security the next week.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 3, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
First game I ever went to Sosa hit one oppo out onto Sheffield and Billy Williams signed a ball for me, so that was cool.

I also got to see Rizzo's tarp catch in 2015.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Aaron judge is cool and good

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

I have literally 0 recollection of Pedro Martinez ever being on the Phillies :confused:
I'll never forget it, because he started an NLCS game I attended against the Dodgers that year. He threw 7 shut out innings and it was very depressing to think about what could have been. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My worst baseball memory had little to do with the actual game. I was the only kid in 6th grade who signed their permission slip and coughed up the $1 for Kids Day at Shea Stadium, so I had to go to the game -- my first baseball game ever -- alone with my grumpy disinterested teacher. We sat there in silence for seven loooong innings before I asked if we could go, and the Mets ended up losing to the Cubs 8-4.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Worst baseball game for me was game 3 of the NLDS in 2008. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and our seats were in the front row of the upper deck. That was a looooong walk to the concourse from the front row through swarms of fans screaming "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" directly into my face. :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Worst baseball game for me was game 3 of the NLDS in 2008. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and our seats were in the front row of the upper deck. That was a looooong walk to the concourse from the front row through swarms of fans screaming "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" directly into my face. :smith:
I was at that game too! :hfive:

My worst was probably Game 5 of the 2015 NLDS, watching their futility against the Mets was made all the more heartbreaking knowing it was likely to be Greinke's last game as a Dodger. I have not been to a postseason game as an away fan but I imagine that's a good deal more difficult.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 3, 2017

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I'm by no means a Yankees fan, but by god if I was this would be in my closet.

e: Do all Yankee players have a version of their jersey with names even though the on-field don't have them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

The baseball moment I'll never forget was being at Game 5 of the 2001 World Series. I've been to a lot of sporting events, including other World Series, NBA Finals, etc. and nothing could ever compare to the electricity that you could feel in the stadium that night.

This home run landed about 20 feet away from me :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNSsDRJb7U

I get goosebumps just watching it.

2001 Game 3 was it for me.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Poque posted:

I was lollin' as I thought it was a troll post, because unlike bawfuls I have blocked out all memory of the late-00s Phillies. Who would have thought that one of the people from yankeesfans.gif was posting alongside us all this time?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got to see baseball's least likely occurrence live: the Mike Fiers nono

I was unable to get out of work after being offered a free ticket to game 4 of the 2015 ALDS, kinda glad to have missed out on that one

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Kwilty posted:

I'm by no means a Yankees fan, but by god if I was this would be in my closet.

e: Do all Yankee players have a version of their jersey with names even though the on-field don't have them?

Yeah, only Authentics and throwbacks are without the name on the back

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No poo poo, I didn't remember Pedro on the Phillies either, thought he retired with the Mets. You'd think as an Indian fan I'd be keenly aware of what somebody who'd dashed my hopes as badly and viciously as he did in '99, but no.

Had a decent year, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Troxartas posted:

Yeah, only Authentics and throwbacks are without the name on the back

Also if you buy a Yankees jersey with a name on the back I am looking down on you forever.

Shirsey is fine, but not on a proper jersey.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 3, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

I got to see baseball's least likely occurrence live: the Mike Fiers nono

I was unable to get out of work after being offered a free ticket to game 4 of the 2015 ALDS, kinda glad to have missed out on that one

I saw Felix Hernandez get a base hit at Safeco Field. I doubt I will ever see a Mariner pitcher get a hit in person again, let alone at Safeco. Thanks, U2!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I remember a while back there was a White Sox fan goon who couldn't use his tickets to a game at the Cell because he was stuck at work, so he offered them up in the N/V thread. A Cubs fan goon took the ticket and it ended up being Buehrle's perfect game.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque and I went to Willson Contreras' debut with my dad. It was on Father's Day and he homered on the first pitch he saw. :unsmith:

That's awesome. Baseball dad memories are the best. I've become completely useless at work now and am just going back and watching old videos of Strasmas. I remember looking forward to it for weeks and trying not to get my hopes up. He was probably not gonna do that well, and that was okay, he was still really good don't go too crazy, blah blah blah. And then he set the team record for strikeouts in his major league debut. It was like a playoff game (not that I knew what that was like at the time) and walking out of the stadium that night it felt like the team had finally turned a corner (and it had! although not just thanks to Strasburg).

Then his elbow blew up a few weeks later and I could barely bring myself to watch baseball for the next year.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Best game I've been to was game four of the 1999 World Series. Chanting at John Rocker from above the bullpen and doing the stupid tomahawk thing on the way back to the bus was magical.

I also was at a game where Joba Chamberlain got ejected, which was pretty funny.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Poque posted:

Yeah and the Yankees kicked his rear end

ZenVulgarity posted:

Aaron judge is cool and good

:same:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Best game I've been to was game four of the 1999 World Series. Chanting at John Rocker from above the bullpen and doing the stupid tomahawk thing on the way back to the bus was magical.

I also was at a game where Joba Chamberlain got ejected, which was pretty funny.

I was at this game! I remember everyone doing the Braves chant and pretending whatever inflatable thing they handed out to the fans was a tomahawk. Thanks for reminding me of that :)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my next goal is to go to a game where the Cubs don't allow a first inning run but that could take years

Blue Jays will be in town August 18-20.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Judge has 12 homers, 2 doubles and 1 triple. And that triple should have been called a home run both on the field and on the replay which was botched.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Poque posted:

Yeah, I think showing a replay would be a lot like showing a replay on a called strike 3 - they don't want to show up the ump so they don't do it on the videoboard.

holler at us next time, we can meet up. Really if anybody goes to Wrigley I can just show my badge and come into the ballpark and find you if I'm in the area :)

drat ok. My next game is in early June. Way out in section 203 I think.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I remember a while back there was a White Sox fan goon who couldn't use his tickets to a game at the Cell because he was stuck at work, so he offered them up in the N/V thread. A Cubs fan goon took the ticket and it ended up being Buehrle's perfect game.

This is pretty much how I got to watch the Fiers nono from Imasalmon's seat :grin:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If we're still talking about fun games we were at, I was at a PHI@TOR day game last summer by myself, high on pain meds from having my wisdom teeth out a few days prior and watched the dinger parade including a Donaldson grand slam (he had 5 RBIs), that was a good time

This BOS@TOR game from last May was also a lot of fun

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I haven't been to a game since the old Yankee Stadium was torn down :(

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I was lollin' as I thought it was a troll post, because unlike bawfuls I have blocked out all memory of the late-00s Phillies.

I was on a mediocre date when the Phillies won the World Series. Everyone in the bar spilled out onto the street for drunken merriment, and I lost the guy in the ruckus.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what happens if a player is ejected after he hits a home run, but before he reaches home?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

Also if you buy a Yankees jersey with a name on the back I am looking down on you forever.

Shirsey is fine, but not on a proper jersey.

I have a Cooperstown Jersey of Ruth with a name

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

Shameful.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ZenVulgarity posted:

Does that come with a +5 modifier to any Dinger or Drinking skill checks?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So even the Bryzzo blooper reel is gold.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/859889582820732929

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

The Walrus posted:

what happens if a player is ejected after he hits a home run, but before he reaches home?

Out

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

Rule 9.01(d)

quote:

Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager or substitute for objecting to decisions or for unsportsmanlike conduct or language, and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If an umpire disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play.

The run scores. The ejection takes effect as soon as his foot hits home plate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cody Bellinger hit a bases clearing triple last night and is now hitting .345/.406/.655 (175 wRC+) in 32 PA. His roster spot is in jeopardy once Joc returns this Friday. Meanwhile Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .267/.340/.322 (84 wRC+) in 101 PA this year while "dealing with" some kind of forearm/elbow issue and some back thing. They really need to DL him and let the kid play 1B for a couple weeks, but Adrian has never been on the DL and there is some kind of stubborn veteran pride about it now.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
My baseball rarity was being at a game where members of the Atlanta Braves received World Series rings, i.e. 1996 Opening Day. At the time it seemed like it wouldn't be an isolated instance, but whatcha gonna do.

Only thing I remember from the game itself is Deion Sanders hitting a ball that got lodged at the base of the fence, would have easily been an inside the parker but the 3B coach held him up at third and I've been bitter about it since.

My first game ever I apparently saw Dale Murphy walk off with a homer against the Padres but I don't remember it despite writing a grade-school "what I did last summer" type essay about it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Pancakes posted:

I've never seen a balk live that I can remember. Odd/cool/bad things I've seen live: Catcher's interference, Yadier Molina triple, Beltran's 1,000th career XBH, Estrada taking a no-no into the 8th, go-ahead pinch hit RBI double by Wainwright in extras, Wainwright blowing out his Achilles.

A little late to the party but my "seen it live" list includes

- a no-hitter (Ervin Santana against my Indians in Cleveland)
- a bases loaded walk-off balk
- a bases loaded walk-off walk
- a division clinching game
- a bench clearing brawl including the bullpens
- the infamous Giambi walk-off against the White Sox
- about 25 other walk-off wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I went to the game where the Rays clinched a spot in the 2008 postseason :unsmith:

The whole team did a full lap around the field jumping and shooting champagne everywhere. We stayed for half an hour afterward cheering. It was amazing.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 3, 2017

• Locked thread