Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To whoever was asking if a rec league baseball/softball thread would be warranted, I would be all about it. My body is too broken to play hardball anymore, but I'm on a slow pitch softball team, and I absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was at a game where a guy struck out and made it safely to first on a passed ball. That was cool!

The beauty of baseball is any given game there's a chance for you to see something you've never seen before.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Poque posted:

Elias should make an app where you enter the games you went to and it tells you really stupid stats, like "this is the first time you were at an extra inning game" or "this is the first time you saw a 34-year old second baseman hit a triple in the fifth inning"

There's money in this idea. That would be really cool.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The baseball moment I'll never forget was being at Game 5 of the 2001 World Series. I've been to a lot of sporting events, including other World Series, NBA Finals, etc. and nothing could ever compare to the electricity that you could feel in the stadium that night.

This home run landed about 20 feet away from me :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNSsDRJb7U

I get goosebumps just watching it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got to chant "Who's your Daddy?" with 55,000 other people @ game 2 of the 2009 World Series when the Yankes beat Pedro. That was fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My WORST baseball memory was being at Game 7 of the ALCS. This is the series when the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 series deficit, and broke the Yankees voodoo curse over them. When Damon hit that grand slam in the second inning I knew it was over. That was a long, silent drive home with my Dad.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 3, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Best game I've been to was game four of the 1999 World Series. Chanting at John Rocker from above the bullpen and doing the stupid tomahawk thing on the way back to the bus was magical.

I also was at a game where Joba Chamberlain got ejected, which was pretty funny.

I was at this game! I remember everyone doing the Braves chant and pretending whatever inflatable thing they handed out to the fans was a tomahawk. Thanks for reminding me of that :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bawfuls posted:

That reminds me, last year I saw a grown man pull his pants and underwear down to his ankles to stand at a urinal and piss at Petco. It was relatively early in the game and he didn't look particularly drunk.

This is unfortunately not too rare. I've seen people do this multiple times. "Feels good man."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Senf posted:

I was at the Jeremy Giambi no-slide game. That was an interesting day in the bleachers.

That's awesome. Watching this on TV was one of coolest things I've seen in sports.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Friend had two extra tickets to the Mets game tonight, but it's been pouring all day and is supposed to rain on and off throughout the night. What time do they usually decide if a game is postponed? I don't want to waste my night going out to Queens only to find out the game is postponed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I sat in the bleachers once just for the experience. I wouldn't do it again. Mainly due to having to sit on a bench without a seat back. That destroyed my back.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Obviously a cheese steak.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

shadok posted:

Starting pitchers usually only play every five games. If a starting pitcher gets a 4-game suspension he doesn't actually miss any game time.

Gotchya, I thought there was some backstory that led to the escalation. Thanks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If a co-worker punched you as hard as they can in the gut because you were better at your job than they were and you defended yourself would you think it was ok for them to get off with a lesser or equal punishment than you?

Also in this scenario you can't call the cops on them, so no falling back on that.

That's not a fair comparison, because one is illegal, and the other happens hundreds of times during the course of a season. I figured there was something that had set Strickland off, but if it was just the fact that Strickland's pride was hurt by not pitching well years ago, yea that's a bitch move. Understood.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

We're again back to the main point which is that pitchers shouldn't allowed to intentionally hit batters and just walk away from it.

I totally agree, but it's something that has been accepted for over 100 years, so it's not going to be easy to change the culture.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No, one is literally illegal while the other is not.

I understand and agree with your opinion, but that doesn't change a fact. It's the same reason why hitting a quarterback late gets you a flag and not jail time, or punching another hockey player in the face results in a time-out instead of being arrested.

Inspector_666 posted:

Longer pitcher suspensions are a good start!

Agree 100% with you on this.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 31, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If I whipped a baseball at you when you were walking down the street at 98 MPH and nailed you in the hip would you just be "well it's always been this way so I'l let him go" or would you call the cops on me.

No, because it has never been that way? That makes no sense.

See:

bewbies posted:

Being hit by a pitch is very clearly an assumed risk when playing baseball, it is not when walking down the sidewalk. This is like in hockey threads when people want players prosecuted for nasty hits - it doesn't work that way.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

He asked why everyone wanted the pitcher to be suspended longer and I used a workplace metaphor that spiraled out of control because even though I stated "you can't involve police" he still fell back on "well no becuz it's illegal!" and "it's always been this way! :downs:"

I didn't realize he was a starting pitcher (probably because he's not), so I wasn't sure why everyone was calling for a punishment that is above and beyond what is generally handed out for this type of incident. Also, once it was stated that the intentional HBP was not provoked, and was just out of pride/spite, I pretty much agreed instantly.

Like, if you feel that the system is wrong, I get it, but that doesn't mean I should agree that this one pitcher should suddenly have the book thrown at him for every single injustice by a pitcher in MLB history.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the type of thing that would provoke an HBP?

Having a teammate thrown at, or injured on a reckless play, showboating, talking poo poo, being an rear end in a top hat, etc. Haven't we all watched the same sport all our life?

The first person to be punished will be the first person to intentionally throw at someone after the MLB makes a rule with an appropriate punishment. Not when some fans on a message board say so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

He's not a starting pitcher, he's a relief pitcher, but even then he's not going to pitch every game. And six games is having the book thrown at you for every injustice by a pitcher in history now?

I can't even follow your thought process now. 6 games is the suspension he got. You are asking for a longer one. The longer suspension would be throwing the book at him, not the suspension which is the norm. Where did you get the idea that a 6 game suspension is throwing the book at him?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

iospace posted:

What hurts more, losing your star player for 4 games or losing a reliever who isn't your closer for 6?

The answer is obvious. Harper is the one who escalated a common occurrence, into a fistfight, though. I'm not enough of a regular of baseball threads to know if this is something you guys bring up every time someone is thrown at, or if you're taking exception because it's Bryce Harper.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

I'd love for you to find the post where I asked for a longer suspension or said they should throw the book at him. Hell, I'm glad and suprised he got suspended at all

And "this is how it's always been" is still a lovely excuse for allowing beanballs

I guess I lumped you in to the other people who were in the discussion, so you're right. As to the "it's how it's always been" excuse, yea, but it's on MLB to address that, and until they do there's no use in complaining.

Intruder posted:

If you're going to argue "common occurrence" for beanballs then you can't hold charging the mound to a different standard as it too happens fairly (if less) frequently

A beanball is a pitch intentionally thrown at a batter's head, though. This was not a beanball. I'm honestly all for harsh and severe punishment for throwing at someone's head. That is just amazingly reckless/dangerous/malicious.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

iospace posted:

That's splitting hairs, and you know it. The long and short of it, Hunter threw a 98 mph fastball directly at Harper, and now he's sitting out for 6 games. When your catcher stands there and doesn't even try to bail you out, you done hosed up.

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Changing the culture has to start somewhere. That's why you don't have 80's style fights in the NBA anymore, they forced a culture change

I would give anything to bring 80's style NBA fights back.

• Locked thread