Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

He's been around for decades, former homeless guy who has been a fixture walking around the stands yelling "Wooooooo, Wooooooo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvHi5nU0yw

Unpopular opinion but I don't like Ronnie Woo Woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cautiously optimistic about Butler. Bosio has worked wonders and hopefully one of these reclamation projects like Montgomery or Butler will pay off.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs just going to keep playing Schwarber everyday?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He has to be one of the worst everyday players so far this season. Just not sure you can play him everyday. He is killing them,

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Oh, I agree completely. Once Heyward and Jay are back and healthy, just run with an outfield of them and Almora and use Schwarber as a pinch hitter in late innings. But he needs to be riding the bench for a while, because his offense is brutal and his defense is somehow worse (he's easily several steps slower in left than he was a month ago).

I'd be for leaving Happ up and having him replace Schwarber in the lineup.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My girlfriend doesn't care about baseball but saw Kris Bryant up to bat when I was watching and busted out a "who's that?".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pancakes posted:

Dex or Grichuk.

Why the hell do the Cardinals always come in second in any bidding war?

Looks like maybe they didn't. Chicago media reporting Cardinals offered more money.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/866028335519866880

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reinsdorf outbidding other teams made me question things. This makes more sense. Seems like the strong presence of Cuban players in the organization held some sway.

Sox seem to be making smart moves. I can't remember the last time both the Sox and Cubs were good at the same time. Could be the case in a few years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a book thread in this forum? I'd love some recommendations on baseball books from some of you guys. The last one I read that was recommended was "The Only Rule is it Has to Work" was great.

Lords of the Realm looks interesting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Recently read Ankiel's book The Phenomenon and it was really good. Pretty heartbreaking in parts but a really good read.

I'd be all for a new baseball/sports book thread.

I've been meaning to read this. Ankiel always fascinated me. Might get it on Audible since it's still priced high.

Crazy 08 is a fun read.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol: Came here to post this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

Cubs won't make the post season but the twins will lol

Joe Maddon will still be trying to convince us all that everything is fine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Live look-in at Joe Maddon's postgame press conference.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs bullpen is really good. Even with Joe not managing it particularly well.

I think we're just seeing regression from a lot of players which was expected (especially defensively). Guys like Russell, Contreras, and Rizzo are having down years. Schwarber doesn't belong in the majors right now but he's playing everyday for some reason. And Joe has been really bad at putting out the best lineup each day (especially now when they are healthy).

It's not terrible because the Central is a joke. Still think they'll win the division which is all that matters. But this also isn't just some fluke start to the season and they'll start playing .600+ baseball the rest of the season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I never understood why Schwarber was playing everyday a year from major knee surgery. And why he starts against lefties when he's never shown he can hit lefties. Or why he was leading off so that he came up with no one on and teams could shift on him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I just want everyone to know that Byron Buxton raised his average 54 points in the month of May.

He is now hitting a robust .201 on the season.

Is he still using Return of the Mack as his walk-up music? If so he owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ColdBlooded posted:

Ryan Schimpf is probably my favorite player in MLB. Per the Sporting News :

He's currently hitting .166/.297/.437 and while it's probably pretty unlikely he hits 40 HRs, he's seemed to have picked up where he left off from his play in the 2nd half of last season.

He had like a 70% FB rate going into this week. Anyone know what the record would be for a season?

• Locked thread