Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Freeman made comments saying the Miller Park was like a little league field because it had poor lighting and he felt he could never see the ball well. Which is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Senf posted:

Thanks. The Player's Tribune is seriously so loving good.

Yeah I shared this and other articles with the GF and she loves them. She's not not even really into sports but the stories are great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What next? 5 O'clock stubble???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The shame and embarrassment is punishment enough.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Manny Machado has done some dumb asshat stuff in the past but he is also a cool dude who seems to always get singled out and thrown at so I understand why he's sick and tired of it happening especially after that slide which was clearly not meant to hurt anyone.

The Red Sox are the only ones who come out of this looking bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

Whose to say you actually saw a balk? What is a balk? It's never been proven that balks actually exist.

#balkskeptic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't go to Busch or you will be shot.

quote:

A woman was grazed in the arm by a stray bullet during Tuesday night's Cardinals game inside Busch Stadium.

A St. Louis police said the 34-year-old woman was sitting in her seat in section 141 at about 9:40 p.m. when she felt pain to her arm. She removed her jacket and noticed a small abrasion to her elbow. She went to the first aid station, and workers there contacted an off-duty police officer working a secondary security job there, police said.

The police department released a statement confirming the incident in response to questions from the Post-Dispatch Wednesday morning.

"This further amplifies our yearly message of encouraging 'Fun Without Guns,'" the statement concluded. "We know 'what goes up must come down,' and in this case, an innocent victim was struck. The department constantly stresses the importance of safety and responsible gun ownership."

Whoever wrote this article has bad grammar

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 3, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

This is unfortunately not too rare. I've seen people do this multiple times. "Feels good man."

Nothing feels better than warm piss splashback on your bare legs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Do you...get piss splashback on your pants???

Urinals aren't exactly perfect pee catches. But I try not too pee on myself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

We were talking about the bat incident in the GDT and Intruder reminded me that the bat they replaced wasn't Belle's, and in fact belonged to Paul Sorrento, with Sorrento's signature stamped on it. The scheme could not even conceivably have worked unless the umps were colossal idiots.

Yeah I meant to post that bat incident story here.

Albert Belle Wiki posted:

Belle was suspended in 1994 for using a corked bat, and gained further notoriety for sending teammate Jason Grimsley through the building's ceiling panel to break into the locked umpires' dressing room to retrieve his corked bat and substitute it with another teammate's bat, resulting in a seven-game suspension.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Curt Schilling with the "Oh but it's not ok when I say it???" defense, lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm out of town on Castro weekend and it's making me very depressed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

A couple times in this series I've noticed that the pirates pitchers are wearing hoodies or jackets whole running the bases. I would have assumed it was illegal to wear anything more than your uniform. Is that allowed?

Jackets are allowed, it's common for pitchers to wear one on the basepath when it's cooler. Because pitchers are fragile and will shatter if they get chilly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is this season peak "lol Mets"?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're not cheering for the Yankees do not sit in the bleachers that's about all the advice I have for being a visitor at Yankee Stadium. It's a literal cess pool.

Rest of the park seems a lot nicer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What the? I assume this was something everyone knew about beforehand or was it a sudden diagnosis and surgery?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps the Dark Knight has become the Joker?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was thinking that Harvey would have some sort of dual nature, two faces if you will, but couldn't think of a good batman reference

A man with two sides too him? Hmmm nope, can't think of a good analogy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The unwritten rules of not showing up hungover to practice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Mets can't even get mic levels right.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Stealing off a lefty is straight up gambling because they are allowed to balk with impunity.

I hate lefties.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Who is this guy? I've seen Cubs fans posting about him on Twitter but I never heard anything about him before.

He's been around for decades, former homeless guy who has been a fixture walking around the stands yelling "Wooooooo, Wooooooo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvHi5nU0yw

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tim Tebow is rumored to possibly get a promotion by mid season. If you're wondering how Tim is doing in single A he's slashing .250/.330/.370 for a .700 OPS. I'll give him credit, that's better than I expected but he's also striking out %29 of the time and this is just single A.

So either the Mets minor league outfield is terrible that he is an option for promotion or the Mets are gonna ride this poo poo into the ground and call him up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The idea of Tebow being a utility guy for 5-6 years is not realistic though, he's already 29 and only at the single A level where he is struggling. A utility player has to have you know, utility. That means a strong baseball IQ, good defense and can play multiple positions around the field at a competent capacity. Tebow just started playing baseball again last year, he doesn't have the baseball IQ or defensive utility to be anything but a poor too mediocre outfielder where the premium is on his bat which currently isn't enough to carry him.

If he makes it up in a year or two (doubtful) he'll be in his early 30's and unless he's hitting the crap out of the ball he won't be a good utility player either. Again this whole experiment is doomed to fail but that's not why the Mets signed him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tony Phillips posted:

Well, no, of course not. He'll never sniff the majors unless the Mets go full idiot, and by all rights should never have been signed.

I was just trying to come up with what Poque was describing. Willie Boom Boom is my permanent vision of utility guy that plays a load of positions, but none of them all that well, yet stuck around a lot longer than anyone would have guessed.

Did I just get confused with Poque? If only...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now I really wanna see Tebows scouting report.

Every MLB Team but the Mets: "He's 29 and hasn't played in a decade. No."

Mets: "Will sell minor league tickets"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

I do love how it's always the old, not in any real danger of being plunked starters who talk poo poo like this. Lester, Lackey, etc. I hate the stupid faux-macho posturing that comes with this and am super not looking forward to whichever Cardinals player will feel obliged to respond, either in the press or by throwing at a Cub.

E: Betting on Yadi somehow instigating.

I don't think he's referring to the Cardinals. I think he's saying in general that the slide rule is making players "pansies" which is a stupid statement but I don't see why the Cardinals would take offense to it.

It's not like the Cardinals enforce the rule.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he finally had his first alcoholic drink inspired by Harvey.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Saying anything negative about the Cubs in this forum immediately gets legions of defenders out in full force. It is what it is.

What? Is this your first time here?

Like %99 of the posts on this forum are people bitching about the Cubs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tony Campana had more stolen bases than walks every year he played in the majors.

Over 3 partial MLB season Campana had 66 SB and 27 BB with 2 HBP.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Derek Jeter only had 358 stolen bases for 1082 walks. So personally I think he's poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

My issue, which I keep having to come back to, is that Jeter's case is better for him having been a Yankee than it would be had he been on another team. This is clearly not his fault and I certainly have never said I blame him for it.

If you're implying that there might be some sort of bias towards the Yankees when it comes to HOF/broadcasting/media exposure than you truly are insane.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Local city news site compares their teams response to that of rivals after call negatively impacts them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Matheny might want to have a chat with Fowler then.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Good job Mike Matheny!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hot take Monday ITT

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been drinking a ton of this HGH milk and I haven't hit a single home run. This is bull poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Admittedly I'm still weirdly stubborn about Pete Rose but I'm willing to let it go if he admits Ichiro is Baseball's Hits King.

What a weird hangup. I mean I get not liking Pete Rose but he very clearly has the most hits, it's really not debatable. It's the same as not counting minor league hits.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

It's more about Pete Rose having to check his ego than anything else.

This is a much more legitimate reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Something that's been bugging me lately is how an error is never a positive for the hitter. There have been loads of fast running hitters who force errors due to their speed or guys who drill the ball (good contact) but it still results in an error and in both cases this negatively impacts their slash.

Is there a stat that tries to incorporate errors as a positive? I honestly think their should be two grades to an error, something like a forced error which would give credit to the hitter and an incidental error that's just your typical wild throw to first on a slow ground ball and hurts the batter.

• Locked thread