Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

One of the most memorable moments in the history of the sport involved stealing signs, better vacate the Giants victory
but really, vacate the Giants 1951 pennant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know if anyone cares (you don't) but bewbies and I made an avatar bet this spring and the progress so far is.... not what you'd expect!

The bet is Danny Duffy vs Julio Urias FIP this year. Royals posters made fun of bewbies for agreeing to this b/c Duffy's ERA has consistently outperformed his FIP and Urias is a high strikeout guy who we should expect to do well by FIP. So how's that going thus far?

Danny Duffy - 3.38 ERA - 3.34 FIP
Julio Urias - 3.43 ERA - 4.31 FIP (and a 4.71 K/9 lol)

Baseball!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.
It's probably related to the general trend of "throw your best pitch more" that has been happening. Guys like Rich Hill that have a really good breaking pitch are now throwing them 40% of the time or more, which is a lot more than conventional wisdom dictates.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I think someone said the fastball being thrown less frequently is a relatively new thing.
so is the trend towards throwing your best breaking pitch a fuckton even for starters, which is why I'd guess the two are related

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Dodgers should be contracted for throwing at Giancarlo
counterpoint: the whole thing started because Donny is insane

https://twitter.com/timbhealey/status/865800874936778752

(and they threw behind Giancarlo at least)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/mcculloughtimes/status/865937425079480321

:lol:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Alex Wood has an NL-leading 1.88 ERA and 1.89 FIP

V: Thanks Atlanta?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I still don't get it. He made the trailer comment about twitter fans so they offered him passes to come back in?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I don't use the twitter
I think the DMs happened before. The Rays hooked him up with tickets to the game and then he spent the game poo poo talking them and their fans on twitter, so they trolled him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

One part Gold Glove shortstop, one part dream boat

And most of the rest of the roster looks like Buster Posey or Jack Sparrow
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

His hair is an industrial grease fire waiting to happen

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Other baseball books that always come up in these discussions include:

Baseball Between the Numbers
Moneyball
(both a little outdated but worth reading if you haven't yet)

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave
The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I get the Braves trading for Adams as a Freeman replacement, but why bother? It's not like they were going into the season expecting to compete (and they definitely won't without Freeman), just slot a minor league filler guy into first and call it a day.
yeah I thought that's why they signed James Loney just this week

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see what a team would cough up for Bautista at this point; he's past his prime but he can still send a ball a long way, and he's very marketable, unless you're a Rangers or Braves fan.
I don't know that many teams worry about the marketability of a 2 month rental player

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol get hosed Cueto

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Clayton Kershaw has now thrown 1830 1/3 innings in his career and accrued a 0.9998 WHIP in that time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

edit: not the gameday thread

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All time career WHIP leaderboard:

1 - Addie Joss, deadballer who died of tuberculosis at age 31
2 - Clayton loving Kershaw
3 - Ed Walsh, deadballer & owner of career ERA and FIP records
4 - Mariano Rivera, greatest reliever ever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kershaw is arguable having the best pitcher career through 10 seasons ever.

He only has 133 wins.

This is convincing me that we will never see a 300 game winner again.
I have an irrational desire for Kershaw to become the last pitcher ever to win 300 games. In a hundred years that would be the best fun-fact about an antiquated stat no one uses anymore.

Realistically he'll only get there if he remains healthy and productive into his late 30's. Steve Carlton is a good comp in this regard. He also debuted at age 20, and through his age 29 season had 133 Wins. He reached 300 in his age 38 season, but he also had 6 seasons of 20+ wins including one with 27, which Kershaw is unlikely to get.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 24, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Koufax had a hosed up early career development because he was a "bonus baby." In that era, if a guy got a large enough signing bonus he had to be on the major league roster not stashed in the minors, so Koufax was forced to develop in the majors starting at 19. It took him until age 25 before he figured out how to not walk everyone. He literally never threw a single minor league pitch.

It was a real dumb rule which was abolished in 1965.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 24, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Tell that to urias and your repeatedly dying pitching staff
Are you trying to say Urias would be better off if he had been forced to stick on the 25-man roster starting at age 16? And I don't know what your point about "repeatedly dying pitching staff" is either, cause that staff currently leads MLB in fWAR so...?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

THE FUCKIN RALLY MONKEY

lol jk 3 titles in the 2010s ended the pain of 2002
Here's to another 56 years! :hfive:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Miller notoriously hated the Hall of Fame and repeatedly said he'd boycott his own induction.
This was a result of their snubbing him though. He didn't hate the HoF on principle, he just decided to tell them to gently caress off once it was clear they were going to jerk him around.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just imagine if the Angels had competent ownerhsip

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They definitely solicit ASG nominations before the season even begins. Andre Ethier is on the ballot despite being on the DL since spring training and currently having no timetable for return.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Its extra stupid since the whole thing is online-only now, it would be trivial to you know, adjust the ballot as the season progresses. How hard would it be to replace Ethier with Bellinger now, for example?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 28, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw and Lester combined today:

7.2 IP, 18 H, 10 ER, 5 HR

Uhhhhhh what?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Alex Wood is the latest Dodgers SP to go on the DL with a Very Serious injury that will cause him to miss exactly one start.
This one is probably not bullshit

Wood has been the best starter on the team this year, and replacing him this week will be Ryu who is a mess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.
Likewise, I am pleased that Corey Seager is just barely holding off Addison "74 wRC+" Russell

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

MIF vote totals are completely insane, but at least the right people are still at #1 (I guess you could argue the corners, but the Cubs are definitely in the mix there.)

The Cub OF leaders are completely insane and indefensible though.
Anthony Rizzo currently has a 119 wRC+ on the year so yeah I'd say he shouldn't be "in the mix"

Freeman, Zimmerman, Goldshmidt and Votto should all be leagues ahead of him but ASG voting is impressively dumb so here we are.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Maybe I'm the dumbass here, but since when has the ASG been about performance in the first couple months of the given year instead of a mix of that and the second half/playoffs the year before?

Just for clarification: no, I don't think the Cubs deserve all the spots by virtue of being Cubs. (I just vote that way because I'm an irresponsible fan that shouldn't be in charge of this in the first place)
I would vote this way if there was an easy way to sort leaderboards by "since last year's ASG" on Fangraphs but alas there is not. At this point in the season "last 1 calendar year" is pretty close I guess? (btw if you do that the answer for NL 1B is still Freeman, Votto, Goldy before Rizzo so lol)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am impressed that Strickland got more games than Harper. Maybe MLB isn't completely incompetent after all

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

My only problem is that the 6 game suspension is presumably designed to make him miss 2 starts but since its being given out a day after he pitches probably means he only misses 1. Right? So wouldn't it be better to give him like 8 or 9 just to make sure you cover the rotation?
Hunter Strickland is a lovely bullpen pitcher, not a starter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Somebody's mad cause their teams fans can barely get Corey Seager ahead of Addison Russell :smug:
Sorry I couldn't hear you over the echoing sounds of a sweep reverberating from the weekend

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone is missing the most important part of this Strickland-Harper situation: the Giants still lost (and lost again the next day), and now sit 11.5 games back of the first place Dodgers.

In unrelated news, the Dodgers have won 6 straight against the Cubs and Cardinals. They have the best run differential in baseball at +87

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/869769694756184064

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Everyone should make sure to vote for Sano so there's no reason for MLB to avoid the Sano/Judge/Stanton HRD showdown
I thought they determine this by HR totals now, regardless of who gets voted into the game?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

know who is not bad at baseball?

The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

My team is absolute garbage right now, so in response I'll just post video of happier days.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=saftUXlpRv4
:sweep::sweep:

(But Ryu is starting today and he's kinda broken so the winning streak likely ends here)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

~Happier Days~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers have led in attendance every year since McCourt sold the team and that will continue until they are bad. It's the largest stadium by a good margin now so that's an extra advantage in addition to you know, a good team in a large city.

• Locked thread