Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I legitimately have not been this excited about Astros baseball than the World Series year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If he ever gets it together at the plate to be even a career ~.750 OPS player he's going to be an absolute star in this league.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Schwarber starting to sniff a little bit of an overhyped mediocre player.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He'd definitely be a very good DH. I think it's quite obvious that he cannot play the field consistently, and it's affecting his batting ability. I'm not sure what the Cubs can really do with him, honestly.

But they should start with not playing him at the leadoff spot every single day. If you want to blame anyone for the Cubs woes, even before Arrieta, you have to start with him. The leadoff man sets the tone, and he's set a piss poor one.

Edit: It really says something when he's a better catcher than left fielder, and he was an awful catcher.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

beejay posted:

I just never expected they'd play Schwarber every day this season and that was before seeing the way it actually played out. Talking about his performance negatively in any way though is apparently verboten so apologies in advance.

Saying anything negative about the Cubs in this forum immediately gets legions of defenders out in full force. It is what it is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Schwarber missed an entire year of development and is coming off major surgery for a serious injury. What he did during the World Series was so unconscionably ridiculous and no one in their right mind should expect him to maintain that for an entire season, especially for what is essentially his rookie season. His 160 PAs this season make up 37% of his career PAs. He's still a young, developing player. Give him at least another 500 PAs before declaring him a bust.

I never said bust, because I think he's still a good hitter overall. But this is not a good sign at all for him to be a top 10-15 hitter in the league like the majority of Cubs fans expected.

He really has no business playing in the field, outside of maybe first base. He's nearly a -1.0 WAR for a reason.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There is nothing divisive. gently caress the Yankees.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Personally I think it's time to let Shoeless Joe Jackson into the Hall.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

Let us forever be the underdogs.

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic that as of this point in the season, this is the best Astros team I've ever seen. There is no real glaring weakness.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Joe Musgrove is a fine #4, and he's getting better...still very young too.

Sure, Mike Fiers is horrible, but which team has an actual great #5? If they had a great #5, they'd be a #2 or 3.

Dallas isn't going to have a sub 2 ERA for the season, of course, but with the way he's pitching? A ~2.50 ERA and a potential second Cy Young is certainly not out of the realm of expectations. This is 100% a return to form of the 2015 season.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 17, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

Fear not! Steve Cishek is back!

Eh, 4.5 ERA is clearly not ideal for a reliever, but it could be a sign of bad luck. He could end up being pretty g...

oh...

That's his WHIP.

:stare:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FYI Astros fans:

James Hoyt and Evan Gattis were acquired for Mike Foltynewicz and Rio Ruiz.

What an absolute steal.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros are up to a 98.6% chance to make the playoffs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Twins bullpen have given up the most runs today in their entire franchise history.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Congratulations Twins,

You just laid the biggest, foulest, smellist turd I have ever seen from a bullpen, ever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you have a chance (and have mlb.tv), I implore you guys to watch the Astros vs Twins starting at the top of the 8th.

It's a glorious thing to witness.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I hope we never see him again.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If y'all want to hop aboard the Astros bandwagon, there's still a few seats open, but you need to act fast!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Should I go to the SS All Star game in Hillsboro this year? I live here, and none of the teams are even affiliated with the Astros, but it seems like a dumb thing to take part of.

Plus, that Hops logo is the best.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Altuve is definitely a no brainer at this point.

Correa and Lindor are neck and neck. One should start, the other as a backup. I'm fine with that.

No one else on the Astros deserves it. Other than Altuve we don't have a clear best player at that position at the AL...just a bunch of 2nd-5th bests.

Keuchel and McCullers will easily make it. That may be the only four players we get in the All Star game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Twins entered the series +1 in run differential.

They finished it -23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You cannot keep putting Kyle Schwarber out there. I understand it's fun to make fun of him and haha, look at that fat man play left field, but he is spiraling downward.

• Locked thread