Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

"He's got a look on his face sometimes, it's a little Norman Bates here and there," manager Buck Showalter said, referring to the fictional murderer in Alfred Hitchcock's classic thriller. "Norman Bates is probably a little too strong. You know [Tillman is] listening to you, but he's pissed off about something."

Old quote. Still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hate speech is protected as long as it's not used to incite violence IIRC.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

yeah

this poo poo is bad but it's absolutely puny compared to some of the stuff that goes on in a handful of soccer stadiums. Italy is supposedly the worst and it is absolutely Medieval

A classmate of mine in college had the opportunity to play in an Italian league (I think it was one of the lower leagues, he wasn't playing against Juventus or nothin') and said anytime he played on the road, he was subject to all kinds of poo poo, signs implying he was a monkey, people throwing bananas, rocks and batteries, cups with warm piss, etc.

And he just was just an average D-Mid. Imagine if he'd been a great player. I don't know how Balotelli does it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No poo poo, I didn't remember Pedro on the Phillies either, thought he retired with the Mets. You'd think as an Indian fan I'd be keenly aware of what somebody who'd dashed my hopes as badly and viciously as he did in '99, but no.

Had a decent year, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Dog posted:

Best games I went to were a Haren v Verlander 1-0 game where Haren got the shutout. Got to see a walkoff HBP by Hank Conger. Saw the Angels come back when down like 7 runs to King Felix. Went to the game before Weaver's no hitter.

Weird to be reminded that once upon a time, Danny Haren was a pretty good pitcher. Not an ace, maybe, but pretty dang good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/retired-cubs-catcher-catches-fart-face-dancing-stars-071144462.html

That headline makes up for being unsubtle by being hilarious

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus you might be able to unload Markakis on somebody who needs a leadoff guy for a prospect or two. He's playing well and I'd much rather have Markakis at the top of the order than Carlos Santana. Not that I dislike Santana, I just like the idea of my leadoff guy being more mobile, and Nick can still move despite being 33.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know, I'm not a religious man. But watching Curt Schilling make that argument makes me think again, because clearly a higher power looked at Curt before sending him out into the world and said "Well, I REALLY short-changed him in the mental department, maybe make him an All-Star pitcher, that oughta even things out".

Still didn't help him manage money, but he at least he throws a nice splitter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NiceGuy posted:

Jesus christ Curt gently caress the gently caress off

Why couldn't Randy Johnson have helped us break the curse instead

The only thing I know about Johnson is he's really into Jesus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

You are blocked from following @gehrig38 and viewing @gehrig38's Tweets. Learn more

Validation comes in many forms. What'd you say to him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wish list for Tribe should they still be doing well at Deadline:

1. Get rid of Trevor Bauer.
2. Find proper CF.
3. Find C who can hit.
4. Find another adequate starting pitcher.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Reminds me of a Cards farmhand named Esix Snead, dude could have been an absolute terror if he just could have slashed around 270/315/375 or so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If there's a player who's been active since my birth ('83) who deserves unanimous HOF, it's Pedro Martinez, not Jeter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
La Russa's the most overrated manager in MLB history.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poque posted:

yes, but would he have batted Jeter second?

Depends if he found him as attractive as he found So Taguchi, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Cito was cooler that Tony La Russa and loved to talk poo poo about him which is why Cito is the best.

It's interesting you mentioned Cito because to me Tony is bascially a white Cito, did well when handed vet-laden teams with talent bursting at the seams, so-so when expected to develop players.

Although I'm sure Cito takes credit for Alomar turning into the beast that he did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

Is there any modern baseball nerd analysis discussing just how good Ozzie Smith was defensively? I remember him always being described as "best defensive player ever" etc by announcers when I was a kid but I have no idea if that analysis would survive modern analytics in much the same way Dorak Jeater did not.

He leads all MLB players in career defensive WAR with 43.4, he also had 47.8 Off. WAR so he was pretty drat great at his job

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

I know about his dWAR and etc....I was under the impression though that dWAR for past players was kinda iffy and thus curious if any further analysis had been done.

I read on BP that he also saved about 200 runs total for his career with his D. What's really impressive about that is he was actually a bit of a liability in the last 2 years of his career (-16.7 Fielding Runs Above Average), so had he retired before that, he'd finish with 209 FRAA, which is an average of about 12.5 a year.

By comparison, JJ Hardy won the GG 3 times in a row, and his FRAA was 21.5 in 2012 with only 6 errors (absolutely worthy), -12.2 with 8 Errors (probably should have gone to Dozier, and Hardy shouldn't have got it ), and 1.7 in 2014, although his RTOT was 14. They absolutely could have given it to Dozier there too, although because he bounces back between 2B and SS I seE why they didn't.

Let's take Ozzie's best 3 year stretch as a fielder (84-85 to 86-87 ) and compare: an average FPCT of .980, an FRAA of 29.9, AND only 41 errors 1453 chances. And AN AVERAGE OF 16.5 RTOT.

Ozzie was the loving man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Earth Table posted:

So i haven't followed baseball in any serious matter for years, but i've gotten back into it this season. Any goon-approved baseball podcasts I should check out?

Try Effectively Wild. Done by the Baseball Prospectus guys.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pancakes posted:

In theory I'd be on board but I feel vindictive for the Jim Edmonds snub. No justice, no peace?

Especially since Edmonds was a better hitter than Jones, by a fair bit. Although Jones seems like the better fielder, which is saying something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jummy posted:

My aunt took steroids after getting a transplant, she immediately started jacking 450 feet homers. It was insane.

Your aunt can't hit the curve ball for poo poo though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So what's the contract situation for Kang and the Buccos? Because I imagine they'd prefer to not have to pay him if he's going to jail....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also read The Only Rule Is It Has To Work: Our Wild Experiment in Building a new kind of team.

Two Baseball Prospectus guys buy an independent league team and use sabermetrics to stock their roster. Good book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tinstaach posted:

Unfortunately, only with nobody on base:

Didn't they have to invoke this when Randy Johnson murdered that bird with a fastball?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey so I just saw a thing about this yesterday and listened to all 3 of the released episodes, but I think this thread might enjoy a new podcast from C Trent Rosecrans called "Great American Dream."

It's following the minor elague career of Reds #13 ranked prospect (according to MLB.com, he's not on their top 100) Shed Long. It's good because Shed's good enough that this could go somewhere, but also only got a $100k singing bonus and isn't a top prospect who gets to avoid a lot of the lovely parts of minor league living.

Also, thanks to this I learned that Zack Cozart sounds identical to Zeke from Bob's Burgers. Like, uncanny.

This makes Zack's great year for me on my current OOTP season that much more enjoyable for me, I signed him to my expansion team for defence and he's leading me in pretty much every power stat you can think of. And Bob's Burgers is my favorite TV show.

Also the podcast thing reminds me of a really good book I read about an Angels fringe prospect who pitched for Yale and was baffled by how Alberto Callaspo and Manny Aybar (I think it was Aybar, might be remembering that wrong) would do weird poo poo like stick a hot dog from the post game spread in front of their crotch and the other would suck it when they were excited about winning. Cannot remember the title of the book for the life of me.

Edit: Here it is, called Odd Man Out https://www.amazon.com/Odd-Man-Out-League-Misfit/dp/0143116819

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 23, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be curious to see what a team would cough up for Bautista at this point; he's past his prime but he can still send a ball a long way, and he's very marketable, unless you're a Rangers or Braves fan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't have any wearable gear, but do have some merchandise from seeing a young Vlad Guerrero mash a baseball.

Initially read this as the Albany Podcasts

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what the most ridiculous all star ever is? Mark Redman was an all star for the Royals in a year he finished with a 5.71 ERA, although I don't know how he was doing at the break.

Jack Armstrong is frequently mentioned in this convo, although he was definitely doing well at the break. However:

quote:

Sandy Alomar, Jr., when he actually played 100 games, had no trouble making an All-Star team. Even when he didn't he seemed to make teams, such as in 1995 when he played 51 games.

He was only hitting around .200 in June, and it was possibly the worst season in his career. No home runs, a .217 average for the season and average defense got him the nod somehow.

Brian Harper was hitting over .300 throughout the year, and was a blatant snub at the catcher position. Mickey Tettleton and his power deserved the nod over Alomar as well.

I love Sandy to death but that's unacceptable.

Daves=All-Star?

quote:

There have been a few reliever selections that have just been odd, mainly due to the over-reliance on saves as a great stat. Perhaps the most egregious selection of a reliever came in 2003, when Pirates closer Mike Williams was selected.

At the end of June, he had 21 saves and led the league that year in saves, but he had a 5.58 ERA and 19 walks to 13 strikeouts to go along with that. Numbers like that are what gets you off the team, and one can see why he didn't play in the majors after 2003.

Granted, when you have 14 pitchers in an All-Star lineup, one is bound to be questionable. Still, when Livan Hernandez or Matt Mantei is a better option, then maybe Williams isn't the guy. Had I ranked all 40, there's a very real possibility that Williams would have been No. 1

Also,

quote:

The Texas Rangers finished in first place in 1996, and were led by ace Ken Hill, who had a great year. Despite that, he was snubbed, and instead teammate Roger Pavlik got the nod.

Why Pavlik made it on the team was clearly because someone was looking only at wins and losses. He was 10-2 halfway through the season, but had an ERA of 5.16. He allowed two runs in two innings in the game, unsurprisingly, and he was out of baseball by 1998.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1241568-40-most-undeserving-mlb-all-stars-of-all-time

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Leave it to Kevin Pillar to go 0-6 with 7 LOB in a 17-2 win.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Oh no particular story other than a guy making his first major league start who everyone expected to suck. Then he wins a pitcher's duel with Justin Verlander.

I think it was the parents and the ridiculousness of this middling (to be kind) minor league pitcher owning for a night that got to me.

I love it when nobodies shine for a night and beat future HOFers. I remember once Steve Woodard absolutely dominated the Blue Jays during Clemens' career revival, in Woodard's ML debut, no less. 8IP, 1H, 1BB, 0 R, 12K. I watched that game with my dad (a Jays fan), and we both thought we were seeing the beginning of a very good or even great career.

And it's not like Clemens pitched poorly. 8IP, 1ER, 4H, 10K. Most days, that'd be good enough to win, easily. So even though Woodard's career didn't go great, he can tell his kids he beat a guy who won 354 games, 7 Cy Youngs and an MVP. He probably won't mention the accusations that Clemens was on the gas (although to some people, that'd make it more impressive, not less).

• Locked thread