Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I think where it stopped rolling used to be the thing. Like you couldn't actually prove where the ball bounced, so you just measured from where it ended up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love that Glenallen Hill's rooftop shot also made Hittracker's list of historic homers. :allears:

Bo's first home run made it too.

How is it I can't find a better video of that than this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

They were in the World Series literally two years ago

Yeah, contract the Royals too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

The All Star Game voting is always stupid but for some reason the Dodgers' nomination for LF is... Andre Ethier. Ethier has yet to appear in a game for the Dodgers this year, and has not even resumed baseball activities. He will be lucky to come off the DL before the ASG. Someone must really hate Andrew Toles.

Checking out the ballot. Players listed with no stats so far this year:

1B - Luis Valbuena
SS - Matt Duffy
3B - Adrian Beltre
OF - JD Martinez, Colby Rasmus, Jorge Soler, Andre Ethier

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Where do you guys get those little graphs on home runs with the exit speed and trajectory and all?

I wanted to check out Bonifacio's from last night for KC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed

Click the game in question, you'll see that each ball in play gets a link.

Thanks for this, I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out how to copy the picture to imgur but Bonifacio's was 107 mph exit at 28 degrees, ended up 432 feet away from home. Here's the video.

In other news the Royals were shut out again tonight, on the season they have scored 2 runs or less in 13 out of 25 games. So, uh, I guess I need to appreciate the long dingers when they happen.

e: Weird what I usually do was sending me to some html page instead of an image, thanks Inspector.

I fully expect to be impressed by at least one more Royals home run in the year 2017. I'm not holding my breath on two though.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 3, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

To be honest, I'm just happy it isn't my team that are the crazy idiot psychos this year. I mean the Royals are garbage, but at least their not head-hunting right now.

They're also currently the worst team in the league.

I think I'd probably rather be psychotic and good than what they are so far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nate RFB posted:

The Red Sox don't even have "good" going for them, anyway

I'd probably also feel better about being terrible if Chris Sale was on the team really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Miz Kriss posted:

Is Chris Sale the same guy who cut up his jersey because he didn't like the way it looked?

It's so much better than that, he cut up all the jerseys so the team couldn't wear them.

This is a pretty good writeup on it.

e: I'd forgotten that he didn't do it with scissors or something, he did it with a goddamned knife. This guy was murdering jerseys in the locker room while his team was taking batting practice.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The most memorable game I've seen in person is this one, Royals/Orioles back in 2000.

This was the third of four straight walkoff wins for the Royals which seems ridiculously improbable. The O's eventually went up 6-0 and the stadium emptied around the 6th, by the 9th inning the ushers didn't give too much of a poo poo and me and my idiot teenage/early 20's friends had managed to move up all the way to first row right behind the visiting team's dugout.

The Royals got 4 back in the bottom of the 7th but it still didn't seem like they were in any danger of actually winning the game. In the bottom of the 9th someone walks, Mark Quinn (I don't know why I even remember Mark Quinn's name other than that night) hit a pinch hit double and the Royals have something going with guys on second and third. The double was important, because I cannot imagine Rey Sanchez who was next up being asked to do anything but sacrifice bunt down 2 if that didn't happen. Rey Sanchez hit 15 home runs in a 15 year MLB career. He hit one of those 15 right then, 3 run shot and the Royals walked off 7-6.

I also remember this because Albert Belle was walking off the field super slowly after the game and my jackass buddy who must have been all of 5'7" and 175 soaking wet was just laying into him with bullshit. Nothing bad or anything but just loudly and constantly for what felt like a minute to walk between the third base foul line and into the dugout. Right when he finally goes down the dugout steps Albert looks up at him and gives this subtle little 'come on' gesture. Not seriously I'm sure, but just taunting him back because he knew my friend wasn't going to do poo poo.

I've also been in attendance for an 8 run comeback win but I don't remember it anywhere near as well, the combination of Rey Sanchez: hero and the Belle thing make me remember this one perfectly.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 4, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As a side note to that story wow was Albert Belle robbed of the MVP in 1995.

I could see giving it to Edgar maybe, bur Mo Vaughn was flat out worse at everything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

Jose Mesa, a closer who finished 4th in the voting, was only worth .4 WAR less than Vaughn. That was a terrible year for voting.

Yeah I mentioned Edgar right off the bat, my main problem is with Mo Vaughn winning.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

Yeah I meant to post that bat incident story here.

There's a really good video on the story somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it. It's really ridiculous and worth watching if someone knows what I'm talking about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Oh I know but I'd almost rather a platoon game than throwing him in front of the bus

If he's as bad as you expect you'll get both.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are dugouts typically heated in any way or is the pitchers wearing jackets thing just a weirdo thing that's like, "well I can so I guess I will??" like footballers wearing that elastic stretchy tape that was trendy in the Prem like 5 years ago

More like when someone will ride a stationary bike on the sideline than magic tape, it does serve a purpose. Well, I don't know the science, maybe this is bullshit and does nothing but the idea is to keep their arm as warm as possible since getting warm and cooling off supposedly isn't good for you.

Sometimes you'll see a pitcher not bother to put the jacket on all the way, just on their throwing arm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alcides Escobar is slashing .183/.220/.250 so far this year. He has the worst OBP over the last 5 years for any player who's averaged 100 games a year ( a robust .287). Good enough to be promoted to the leadoff spot on the Royals!

Oh wait, the chart I was linked to on that OBP thing includes 2017. Still he has more than a full season's worth of games on the next closest in games played to him that had a worse OBP (660-493).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

And let's not act like there isn't years of history here, davecrazy's Harvey meltdowns the year they went to the WS were about him skipping/being late for practice.

I can agree that Harvey probably has some professionalism problems if not something worse, but citing davecrazy's posts as anything other than hysterical crying is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

How many seasons did the Royals WS buy Dayton Moore and Ned Yost? Because the team looks loving terrible.

Moore probably gets a chance a rebuild, and it sounds like he actually realizes they need one if they aren't in contention in July (heh) which is better than last year when they thought they were buyers despite being something like 10 games out at the trade deadline? I don't know about Yost.

There are rumors that the Glasses have been screwing with things again, and Moore thought he would have more leeway to add salary last offseason than he actually did. Not that a few more million would fix anything for this team, but I'm willing to take any opportunity to hate the Glass family.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Hmm yes staying out drinking so late that you're unable to turn up to your job sure is "showing a personality" and "having fun".

That seems like a response to the previous post and nothing else.

If I were a Mets fan I'd probably hate Harvey for insisting he pitch the 9th inning of game 5 in the 2015 world series. Sure I'd hate Collins more for letting it happen, but I'd probably hate Harvey too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

At the end of the 8th he'd given up 1 walk, 4 hits, and struck out 9 on 102 pitches, and was coming off a 1-2-3 9-pitch 8th. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was far from a clear-cut decision to pull him.

Wasn't it reported at the time that Collins had made the decision to go to Familia and Harvey went after him and wouldn't stop arguing until Terry gave up? At least I remember it being something more than a simple 'no I'm still good' conversation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

exploded mummy posted:

I'm sorry that the Mets now have the more talented baseball equivalent of Johnny Manziel.

Baseball has had plenty of Johnny Manziels.

Here's where I plug Jon Bois's thing on Lonnie Smith again in case there's anyone left who hasn't seen it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Waffles Inc. posted:

also is there any reason to suspect that the team didn't send the security dudes in order to see if harvey wasn't, like, dead?

I'd think if they were worried about that they'd send someone with medical experience.

But since it's the Mets they might have decided it was safer to send security instead of their medical team :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

How in the world did I miss this?

I knew it started here, I knew there were several goons trying to spread it through wiki vandalism re-writes and such. I never knew the story actually made espn.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Magneuris Sierra has insane speed, but is somehow unable to regularly steal bases. What the gently caress is wrong with the Cardinals organization when it comes to baserunning?

Some guys just don't have the knack and coaching can only help so much. Bo freaking Jackson wasn't very good at stealing bases, and there were other guys on those 80s Royals teams that stole bases at will.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

will_colorado posted:

also, I though I'd ask this here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT-nCfiBgcK/

Jeff Hoffman's delivery combined with him being all legs and like 6'4", it reminds me of a pitcher from the mid-90s and earlier

I can't remember who though, I don't think the guy played for any of the top major market teams, at least from that time period I'm thinking of, I thought it was a smaller city like Pittsburgh, KC, or Milwaukee, but I cannot for the love of all things holy remember. Does anyone have a suggestion on whom?

Mark Gubicza was probably the tallest pitcher on the Royals regularly from the late 80's to 90's. Oh hey I actually found some video on him...yeah that doesn't look the same at all so probably not him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx3zoudnz2w

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

Tim Tebow is rumored to possibly get a promotion by mid season. If you're wondering how Tim is doing in single A he's slashing .250/.330/.370 for a .700 OPS. I'll give him credit, that's better than I expected but he's also striking out %29 of the time and this is just single A.

So either the Mets minor league outfield is terrible that he is an option for promotion or the Mets are gonna ride this poo poo into the ground and call him up.

I watched Jordan Rides the Bus the other day, the 30 for 30 on his baseball....uh, career. Supposedly the guy who wrote the article for Sports Illustrated making fun of the whole thing went back at the all star break and wanted to write a followup of how much he'd changed in a few months, and everyone who was on the team with him talked about how they could imagine him putting it together. It's Jordan so he easily might have just paid everyone off to talk good about him.

I mean he slashed .202/.289/.266 for the year (although the White Sox threw him directly into AA which seems dumb), so if he improved significantly by the all star break he must have started off like 1-50 or something.

But anyway the one thing everyone agreed on is that Jordan worked his rear end off trying to make things work. I wonder how much of this Tebow is doing, you'd think we'd be getting dumb articles about how he's taking extra batting practice every day and stuff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Plus even if ESPN dropped him he's set for life with speaking appearances.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kensei posted:

Not seeing the downside to Tim Tebow, knuckleballer. I mean, you saw him throw footballs, right?

Knuckler with an eephus as his second pitch seems weird though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

The one good thing about this Braves season is at least I won't have to deal with Jeff Franc--
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/863097410289098756

This actually seems like a...good thing for Frenchy to do? Or maybe an ok thing?

He might be too nice to be a good analyst, but the main problem with him was always he was bad at baseball. From what I can tell he's pretty good at being a human being.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ice Fist posted:

Legit curious - has Tebow ever claimed from his own mouth that his religious beliefs have been held against him?

I believe the whole baseball thing is a cynical ploy to keep his name around and make more money, but no I don't think he's ever said that. This might be because he or someone in his inner circle is savvy enough to let him know that he has an army of people willing to do it for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

Hi butt goes a long way for real baseball men. See the physical description for Jeter's scouting report

If there's one thing I've learned about professional scouts for pretty much every sport, it's that they absolutely love talking about butts.

I'd imagine Jaromir Jagr's scouting reports had pink hearts drawn around them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Alcides Escobar is slashing .183/.220/.250 so far this year. He has the worst OBP over the last 5 years for any player who's averaged 100 games a year ( a robust .287). Good enough to be promoted to the leadoff spot on the Royals!

Oh wait, the chart I was linked to on that OBP thing includes 2017. Still he has more than a full season's worth of games on the next closest in games played to him that had a worse OBP (660-493).

Ned Yost posted:

"Crazy as it sounds, the catalyst [to winning five of last six] is putting [Alcides Escobar] at the top. His at-bats are better. [Eric Hosmer's] at-bats are better. Moss' at-bats are better. ... Guys are putting together good at-bats." -- Royals manager Ned Yost, on #EskyMagic

Of course. He's going to sign an extension and be in the leadoff spot for the next 5 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is a shame, he was apparently a really nice guy. Like, outside of for the one reason anyone knows his name I mean.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wait a second is this actually real?

If so does...does it look better from a different angle?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lol you got owned

Is it the Ronaldo thing?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alex Gordon is slugging, slugging .192.

What in the loving world happened to him? I can get behind the idea that the Royals bought high on him after a couple of his better years and he was probably going to regress, but he still shouldn't have just turned into this absolutely horrid player at the plate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Aside from the obvious stuff they pointed out Jeter was in very, very little danger of not getting 3000 hits by 2010 no matter where he was in the lineup, as long as he was getting playing time.

Jesus Christ your argument is bad when I feel compelled to defend Derek Jeter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

Imagine how much better those Yankees would have been with Major League Leadoff Hitter Alcides Escobar at SS.

He's been on fire since the switch! He's in danger of reaching the Mendoza line if he keeps it up!

e: I had to look up what on fire is for Escobar (this is actually a thing people are saying, that he's been much much better as a leadoff hitter). And I guess he is much better. .226/.226/.258.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Chipper is first ballot and anyone who says differently should shove themselves in a locker.

I think he probably will be, but who knows. He definitely gets in at some point no matter what though. I'm more worried about Rolen because

Paul Zuvella posted:

Scott Rolen maybe had the most boringly great career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ego symphonic posted:

Inevitably one or two of them will either forget because they're 90 years old,

These guys are mostly going away, finally. Other than the ones who are actively covering the sport. So at least there's that.

• Locked thread