Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Home Run derby could be absolutely spectacular this year, with all these big bruisers now! And if I remember correctly, as a bonus, Berman isn't doing them for ESPN anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

the "Millville Meteor" nick originated here?!?!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

God bless you Weed Rat

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think someone said the fastball being thrown less frequently is a relatively new thing.

Anecdotally, I want to say that I got real pissed off after the Big Strike in '94, and I went from being a guy who would watch three or four full nine-inning games per week (whatever teams were on, didn't matter) and spending the rest of my time reading about baseball and working on my fantasy teams, to someone who paid little attention to baseball at all until about 2010 or 2011.

The main difference I noticed (or thought I noticed) when I really started paying attention again, was that in the so-called hitter's counts in 2010 it seems like batters were now as likely or more likely to get a breaking pitch or some off-speed thing as they were to get the old #1, which had been a pretty much automatic pitch selection in the 90s and long before that.

I can't say for sure if this was the case because i don't think pitch types were tracked faithfully until more recently, but man I was pretty blown away when I started watching again. Seemed like kids arrived at the MLB level with one or two more genuinely good pitches than they had been before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dunno if he's still around, but Ronald Belisario was a recent player who was perhaps the ugliest man ever in MLB.

• Locked thread