Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mets are in lat place

Mets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Anyone goon go to any of the "Pitch Talks" events? It's in Philly next week and I'm debating if I should go. Anyone read Keith Law's "Smart Baseball?" He's peddling it and I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting in it or its just classic Kieth Law?

http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/2017/5/8/pitch-talks-philadelphia

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Just do what European soccer and does and play some games in an empty stadium

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

bewbies posted:

yeah

this poo poo is bad but it's absolutely puny compared to some of the stuff that goes on in a handful of soccer stadiums. Italy is supposedly the worst and it is absolutely Medieval

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A classmate of mine in college had the opportunity to play in an Italian league (I think it was one of the lower leagues, he wasn't playing against Juventus or nothin') and said anytime he played on the road, he was subject to all kinds of poo poo, signs implying he was a monkey, people throwing bananas, rocks and batteries, cups with warm piss, etc.

And he just was just an average D-Mid. Imagine if he'd been a great player. I don't know how Balotelli does it.

BBC posted:

He was booked for dissent after asking the referee to stop Sunday's Serie A match against Cagliari, claiming he was being racially abused.

The 32-year-old ex-Ghana international then walked off the pitch in protest - for which he received a second yellow card, officials have now confirmed.

They added not enough fans took part in the abuse to trigger action.

The Serie A disciplinary committee agreed their actions were "deplorable" but said its guidelines meant it could not impose sanctions as only "approximately 10" supporters were involved - fewer than 1% of the Cagliari supporters in the ground,

Earlier on Tuesday, world football players' union Fifpro had called for Muntari's punishment to be rescinded - though it was then unaware the player had been given a second yellow card and sent off.

"Muntari was well within his rights to approach the referee," said a Fifpro statement.

"Players should feel comfortable bringing any issue to the attention of the referee, especially one as significant as allegations of racism in the workplace.

"We urge Italian authorities to hear Muntari's version of events, investigate why the situation was mismanaged, and take firm action to ensure this never happens again."

Ex-Portsmouth and Sunderland player Muntari was playing for AC Milan when then team-mate Kevin-Prince Boateng walked off the pitch because of racist chanting during a friendly with lower-league side Pro Patria in January 2013.

Boateng has since tweeted his support to Muntari, saying he is "so proud" of his former team-mate.

Meanwhile the Serie A committee warned Lazio and Inter Milan faced partial stadium closures if there was a repeat of recent racist behaviour shown by their fans.

Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly suffered abuse from Inter fans while Lazio supporters targeted Roma defender Antonio Ruediger.

:italy:

now with bonus obligatory Lazio racism

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anyone goon go to any of the "Pitch Talks" events? It's in Philly next week and I'm debating if I should go. Anyone read Keith Law's "Smart Baseball?" He's peddling it and I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting in it or its just classic Kieth Law?

http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/2017/5/8/pitch-talks-philadelphia

Just got cancelled

:smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Paracaidas posted:

In today's 35-6 loss to the Red Sox, Joe Mauer came in to pinch hit for the Twins with a runner on 3rd and 1 out, down 7-6 in the 8th.

He worked the count full and struck out looking on a borderline third strike. He proceeded to angrily get into it with the umpire. When asked about it after the game, Joe was still clearly irate:

https://twitter.com/DerekWetmore/status/861347606634606593

I thought thiswas a typo so I looked up the score. Turns out it was only 17-6 with a 10 run Ninth. Huh

Aaron Altherr owns

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm going to my first Phillies game in forever. What massively overpriced foodstuff should I buy?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Dexo posted:

He's a goddamn professional athlete shouldn't he have access to a training staff with IV's and poo poo.

The Mets have a training staff?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Mr. Fix It posted:

The M's are at .500 despite the rotation and their RotY candidate being on the DL. When they get healthy they're gonna be good :neckbeard:

Mets will never get healthy, sorry

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Phillies extended Pete Mackanin for 2018 and a 2019 option. This comes less than 24 hours after Joaquin Benoit ripped him for bullpen management.

Phillies Bullpen is so bad, it doesn't matter what inning he puts in a guy. Benoit has been around long enough to know how to get guys out, no matter what inning it is

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tony Phillips posted:

Well, no, of course not. He'll never sniff the majors unless the Mets go full idiot, and by all rights should never have been signed.

I was just trying to come up with what Poque was describing. Willie Boom Boom is my permanent vision of utility guy that plays a load of positions, but none of them all that well, yet stuck around a lot longer than anyone would have guessed.

I will put :10bux: on this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm Pete Mackinin and Edubray Ramos is my favorite baseball man

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

YEAH JEETS

he was pretty good at baseballing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm pretty sure the Bonds conviction was overturned on appeal

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The Walrus posted:

the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

But Bonds was never caught tho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

iospace posted:

Another person who should be in the hall of fame but isn't: Tommy John.

I would put John's doctor in before John

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So how many games does Harper get?

Charging the mound never ends well

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Was yesterday the first AB between Strickland and Harper since the offending playoff game?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Im alright with this?

MLB did a good job :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

When did Harper get hitched? He's what, 23?

• Locked thread