Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"No guys really, I think I tore something in my arm."

"Get OUTTA HERE with the quitter attitude, Harvey!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Belt could have 20 HR's right now and the Giants would still be below .500

Well yeah, but he's not, so the people that don't know anything about baseball will continue to blame him instead of the 9 other guys who suck worse. Also they'll blame Arroyo for not hitting .350 at the major-league level.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't understand why so many people are anti-walk. Like, sure, a walk's not a dinger or a double, but it's not a K or a DP either.

You can't hit dingers if you don't swing! :byodood:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Belt had an amazing first half last year followed by a mediocre second half, and now people think he's terrible.

Also fun fact:

Giants 1B from 1997-2011: 16.4 WAR
Brandon Belt 2011-2016: 16.8 WAR
(Baseball Reference numbers)

And 3 of those 6 seasons are <500 PAs due to injuries, except 2012 when they were trying to platoon him with a Brett Pill.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

New Concept Hole posted:

Giants 1B from 1997-2011: 16.4 WAR
Brandon Belt 2011-2016: 16.8 WAR
(Baseball Reference numbers)

Okay I was wrong here, the Giants got 23.4 WAR from the 1B position from 1997-2011. That's what I get for not relying on web tools to compile this data.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Yeah, back when suggesting he was the second coming of Mantle was an exaggeration, as opposed to an understatement. :v:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's funny, a couple days ago the Giants broadcasters were discussing that Collins was lamenting having to use his relief pitchers so much in an interview before the game, then using all their best pitchers in a 6-1 game including their closer. Then the next day they had a close game and used them all again.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good Dog posted:

Well it worked, and Kershaw only made 21 starts last year.

They also have like 10 outfielders because those fuckers don't stay healthy either.

This all flies in the face of the Giants' strat of, "play people injured" and, "anyone can play outfield"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's safer to be on a dirt bike than on the Mets.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Marcade posted:

The insane thing is he reported tingling in his hand to the trainers and they still said he was clear to pitch.

This is both egregious and also 100% believable.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ComposerGuy posted:

I loving love this team and can't wait to see what inevitable disaster befalls us to keep us from winning our first world series ever!

Idk who you're a fan of but the answer is always the Marlins

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good Dog posted:

Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.

Is it possibly related to home run totals spiking? Supplying the power and all that.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

patonthebach posted:

You'd get rid of like 25% of all MLB pitchers this way

This will make baseball more exciting for sure.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I saw Doug Fister win a playoff game.

I remember this because for the entire game someone yelled, "Fister? I hardly know 'er!"

That's my Doug Fister story.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Imagine if the Jays strolled into AT&T for a series, broke Posey's wrist and sent him to the DL for 10 weeks with a HBP, one of their players called Moore a human being, and then Bautista hit one into the bay and flipped his bat while staring the pitcher down just a few innings later.

That's how.

e. Oh and in the final game of the series after that they absolutely crush you.

Just another series for the 2017 Giants

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

Joey Votto: slashing .293/.412/.592

Man remember when that guy used to be good?

Barry Bonds hit .276/.480/.565 in '07 and followed that up with never playing again. Clearly this Votto guy is a bum.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
As we all know, Eric Hosmer is the best first basemen in baseball.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I haven't seen Astros fans this excited since 2015

So needless to say I don't believe them

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm guessing Posey was just staying out of an ejection. Also Strickland is the same size as Harper pretty much.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

DL players can't get on the field even for a fight.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This was actually revenge for that graphic comparing Harper to Bonds that showed during this game.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Forcing the Giants to release a member of their bullpen wouldn't be a punishment though

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
So you think the Nats will kill Buster today or in the final game?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Dusty already gave his "We don't start trouble, but we certainly don't take trouble lying down" tough guy talk yesterday after the game. Hopefully if the Nats feel they have to bean somebody, it won't be the guy who's fresh off the concussion DL and spent the bulk of the brawl standing off to the side looking on disapprovingly.

That's too nuanced to be unwritten

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This isn't even the first time I've heard of someone holding a grudge for years over something like this-- I've heard broadcasters talk about players holding a grudge for years over something that happened in spring training.

I guess to make it in the big leagues you have to have an obsession to keep you going from one game to the next.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

lol the Giants know a plunker is coming and know they can't justifiably take out Buster

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/869684101321605121

This is more embarrassing than the HBP

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I like to imagine that the punishment is that George Kontos comes in to pitch anyways, all but guaranteeing the run scores.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Castro should make the team because of his glove

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There should be a vote for who pitches the HRD

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Also the results count against their stats for the season.

This might be Anibal Sanchez's best bet on lowering his HR/9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Sounds to me like the Cubs should trade for Eduardo Nunez...

• Locked thread