Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dear friends,

Please vote for the Brewers man or something for NL catcher. Vote Seager for short because hell even I did. Vote for Thames just because people's desperation to build narratives as early as April is funny (see also: Trevor Story, April 2016). Just don't vote for any Giants, because they simply don't deserve it.

I'm sure this won't be a problem for many of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Heyman says that Harvey played a round of golf in the morning and then contacted the Mets that he had a headache and wasn't in playing condition.

He'll file a grievance over the pay suspension, naturally.

Mets.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hopefully the Blackburn trade doesn't turn out to be as much of a bust as I initially assumed it would be.

It is insofar as the team is terrible and they'd really like to have Blackburn right now, but it's probably an okay move in the long run. They're going to eventually have a bench with Posey and Crawford when those contracts don't age gracefully, and that's coming right about the time this guy is in his mid 20s.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

Belt could have 20 HR's right now and the Giants would still be below .500

He's correct, though. Giants fandom has been stuck on "Belt Wars" on and off for years, starting when Bochy kept benching him for Brett Pill. There's an enormous group of people on social media whose first inclination is to trade him for every scenario; as if when a light goes out on the stadium it's Belt's fault for leaving the light on too long. And you've got the blowback of people who made a meme of saying "damnit Belt" whenever any unrelated bad happens to the team.

Sometimes fans disagree and mock each other, is what I'm getting at.

A lot of it comes from him getting a lot of walks and a lot of strikeouts with relatively few balls in play. It's similar to Reds fans who hate Votto's walks because damnit he should have hit for extra bases. And there was a period where "slumpy shoulders" took off for a bit because people were so frustrated with his K's that they were complaining about the sort of lost "huh" expression on his face that the camera sometimes catches after he strikes out. But there was a bunch of people online who wanted to see Belt play everyday instead of being benched in platoons etc, and consequently there's a backlash of "OKAY WELL YOUR GUY BETTER BE BARROLD GOOD or we're going to demand he be traded at every juncture."

Also keep in mind many of the people who hate Belt want to move Posey to first base for the long haul effective immediately, even though that would reduce his value and Posey himself wants to be a catcher still.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 9, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hopefully the Yankees lose twice on Jeter Day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While talking about whether homophobia is normalized in locker rooms, etc, remember that's just on the coasts. Go further toward the middle and it gets even weirder.

Until he was given enough money to play in San Francisco that he couldn't say no, Jeremy Affeldt used to hide in his hotel visiting the city on road trips because he was afraid he would be singled out and corrupted by random acts of gay that could be happening on the street.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've read about six pages of Blue Jay related posting about headhunting, slurs, and what sounds like bench clearing madness.

How the hell did a meaningless interleague series between two bad teams who will not face each other again for years become The Rivalry For Our Times?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Considering baseball has a HBP process, I don't think it's appropriate for a batter to charge the mound at almost any situation, sorry.

Harper can be and has been better than that. He got hit for bullshit reasons in his first season and didn't throw punches in response.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Process? Appropriate?

Get outta here.

Protest if you want, the ump is right there, but fistfights are crap. Both guys should get equal suspensions and Dusty should keep his retaliatory beanball poo poo to himself.

Popete posted:

I get that it's your team, but Strickland is an idiot and pitchers need to face repercussions if they wanna throw at someone if MLB isn't going to do anything about it.

Pitchers should get ejected for deliberately throwing at guys. And yeah Strickland is an idiot. Not defending him here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Like really the Giants should give Strickland a suspension on top of whatever MLB does. Bochy is consistently anti-beaning, even after events like the Posey collision injury.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

Posey didn't move at all.

That's always damning.

Posey has a surgically repaired ankle and also walks off to the side during the Bumgarner brawls. Some of that may also be because Bumgarner is big enough to finish the stupid fights he provokes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The best hot take:
https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/869327344175112196

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apparently Strickland hit Also-Named-Hunter Pence for trying to drag him out of the fight. What is it about Bryce that makes people attack their own team?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

Strickland also jawed at somebody on the Royals(?) the other year, called him "boy" and all that. gently caress him.

That was him? Nice catch, for some reason in my memory that was lodged with some guy we once had who had no idea where the ball was going, but insisted on throwing 101 anyway because that was the only positive he had.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hunter Strickland is an enormous bitch.

I enjoy watching Harper getting clocked regardless, because he tries so hard to be Mr. Testosterone. There's a grand ol' list of People Who Are Projecting A Little Too Much, and he's right under the current leader of the free(?) world.

No reason to throw at him, though.

(Edit: Okay after seeing the SF footage I have to believe Strickland is the bigger bitch because it took three guys struggling to pull him out of the crowd long after only one person pulled Bryce away.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 30, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

Harper is really really good at baseball and isn't fake humble about it, so what

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

Granted, he's been feted by media people into thinking he's the greatest athlete into gods green earth, and bounced out of school and young adult life early so he could be in MLB as young as he possibly can, so it's kind of not surprising he is like he is, but let's call a dingus a dingus.

He's not the worst thing about baseball, though. That's AJ Pierzynski.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's wrong with murphy? i didn't know he was hateable. seems like a nice enough guy.

He has a passive aggressive "Christ commands me to love the gays, but scorn their sinful lifestyle" approaches to gay teammates.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

It's fun to watch Harper destroy baseballs and it's funny that you're making GBS threads on him for acting alpha male when he just got thrown at for doing his job over two years ago to prove some point (that if Strickland isn't good enough to get him out then he'll be a big whiny baby about it I guess)

The context was, "why do people not like Harper", not "why does Strickland have moral high ground" (he doesn't.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: But actually people say the same poo poo about Harper, Papi, and Bautista yet everybody seems to accept it at face value about Bryce.

The saying I used to hear about Bonds was "you can be good, you can be arrogant, you can be black, but you can't be more than two at the same time." As in, Bonds being that good and an rear end in a top hat about it would have been acceptable if he was white, but because he's black he upsets white fans on some subconscious level that makes them say, "wow, what a DICK."

This may also explain why some fools could simultaneously hold the opinion that Harper was awesome and Puig was a dick.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

New Concept Hole posted:

So you think the Nats will kill Buster today or in the final game?

If they kill anyone, it's probably Crawford. I'd like to think that Dusty can tell that this was dumb poo poo between two guys that wasn't condoned by the other team, but when he managed the Reds he had a guy throw around Buster's legs for an honest accidental HBP.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Okert gets off a bus in Sacramento, reads text, gets back on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

Everyone is missing the most important part of this Strickland-Harper situation: the Giants still lost (and lost again the next day), and now sit 11.5 games back of the first place Dodgers.

Wait until you see the results of our seven games against the Rockies next month, mister. The futility will make your head spin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's probably enough to get Mr. Met fired.

Waiting for the revelation that Mr Met has been Kathy Griffin the last few years.

• Locked thread