Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah the whole "Greenies do nothing" point was hilarious

I'd also love to hear how steroids made Bonds have a 13% O rating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How many of those subjects had been playing a grueling marathon of a season? Conditions matter

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

I'm sure we all agree with this but I suspect, without having done any analysis of my own, that you can show at least a very strong correlation if not causation between power numbers and age during the roid era. Has anyone ever done a good analysis on this? Specifically maybe, something like comparing SLG, or better yet ISO, to age during the roid era? I would bet pretty strongly that ISO-by-age rose pretty sharply.

Probably, but getting away with cheating is a time honored tradition in the game. They got away with it, kudos to them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't even get assed to get mad about the steroid era, it largely helped the sport after the backlash from the strike since America is so anti-labor

I won't even deny that taking steroids is cheating EVEN THOUGH IT WASN'T AGAINST THE RULES AT THE TIME. I just think it's stupid to classify it after the fact as a more egregious form of cheating than all the other ways players have cheated pretty much since the invention of the sport

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also:

Astros bitch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just convince the Giants this is a playoff game somehow

The Rangers have won 7 straight and are still 8 back of the Astros, it owns

Only the Nationals have a bigger lead in their division because lol NL East (granted the AL West is also pretty weak this season, but not "Second place is six games under .500" weak)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of speculation that balls are juiced this year to increase offense. Thoughts?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baseball Simulator 1.000 damnit

So underappreciated

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

I am not sure where this line began, or where it is now, but I think it has reached its conclusion.

The Houston Astros

They good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

No robots allowed will become baseball's unspoken rule.

They won't even let robots call balls and strikes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beltran got off to a hot start but has cooled significantly lately and actually has a negative WAR

Thanks a lot jerk

But seriously, this The Ringer article goes into how this is one of the worst seasons for players over 35 ever and is the worst in wRC+ since 1965

https://theringer.com/mlb-veteran-player-statistical-decline-c431a2690c06

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Selig is easily in the upper tier of commissioners, possibly top two. (Not that it's a terribly high bar to meet, given most of the clowns who held that office.) But really, outside of the failed contraction scheme, the shell game to kill the Expos, the All-Star Game / home field advantage thing and the A-Rod witch hunt, he did a lot of good for the game.

He forced the Astros to play with the roof open in the WS and forced them to play a "home" game in Milwaukee against the Cubs during Hurricane Ike, gently caress him :colbert:

(they got no-hit in said game in front of a huge crowd of Cubs fans)

Inspector_666 posted:

Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the NL, now I have to hate you.

I never wanted them to leave the NL :(

Now I have to watch games that start at like 9 PM in my time zone

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of the Astros playing with the roof open, I really think they should have told whoever maintains it to create a problem that would prevent the mechanism for opening it from working and then pretend they couldn't figure out what was wrong until after the series ended

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nvm, was asked to drop, dropping

...how bout them 'Stros!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

29-13 :getin:

Didn't realize it was a day game earlier

Keuchel has been great but I'm concerned by him having such a huge number of balls out of the zone swung at. If hitters start waiting him out it might get messy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Seems odd that he would get screwed out of a tiny bit of batting average like that.

And an RBI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

This all circles back to my complaint about Errors in the first place, they usually punish someone incorrectly. If that had been scored an error it would have taken away a game winning hit/sac from Pujols on what was a well hit ball.

I'm shocked he even went for the ball, typically on a ball hit that deep that'll bring the run in anyway you see the outfielders just start jogging in

e: Oh my, I thought the Astros were 29-13 but they're actually 29-12. Better still!

14-3 in their last 17 and they actually have a better road record than home, unlike 2015 where their road woes severely hosed them

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's boring. We need some more Billy Martin style "Let's get em boys!" while hefting a baseball bat

Also 'them' being the fans in that case but you know what I mean

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Didn't hear anything about this before now, but apparently a fan died from a fall at Wrigley last night. Apparently it happened after the game as fans where exiting.

http://wgntv.com/2017/05/17/man-dies-after-fall-at-wrigley-field/

When did Josh Hamilton get traded to the Cubs?

In Curt Schilling news:

quote:

“If he wants to maintain the lie he made here, that’s fine. No one denies racism exists, but when people like him lie about an incident and others just take him at his word, it perpetuates a mythical level of racism,” Schilling explained. “And for some reason, it appears blacks believe only blacks can talk about racism and only whites can be racists. I promise you if some scumbag yelled the N-word at Adam Jones in Fenway, it would have been on Twitter, Facebook and every other social media site asap, like every other ‘incident.’ Not to mention the liberal Boston media would have broken its neck to identify the racist. But just taking him at his word means there are a bunch of white cowards and racists living here, because no one stood up to the guy. Adam has an agenda and one needs to only look at his past commentary on race and racism to see it. But see, when you question fake hate crimes in this day and age it somehow makes you a racist. If you use this use every word or none at all.”

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Curt's stance: It's unfair that only minorities can claim to be oppressed in America

This is a real thing he believes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

I feel like the Astros may lose the Cleveland series. It just feels like we eventually have to lose one after so many in a row.

We've already lost one series to them (one of the two series losses we have this season, the other being to the Royals)

No game today, looking forward to hopefully a strong weekend series

Astros status: still flying high like Gurriel's hair

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

It's like a separate team member all on its own.

I wonder if it can field at 1st base.

As much as I love Gurriel's hair, OPSing .700ish at first base while being a butcher in the field isn't going to cut it

Trade for Freddie Freeman immediately

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh right

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If he apologized and is sincere I see no reason to lambaste him. If anything, it draws attention to how using the word was wrong and how even he recognizes he made a mistake

Hopefully the apology isn't "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

pee pee doo doo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Michael Sam's combine was historically bad it's not hard to see why teams passed on him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jason Collins was 35 when he came out and also not very good

He was 7 years removed from averaging more than 3 points a game or 3 rebounds a game as a center

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing fine. Just saying

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The_Hat posted:

I love this quote

lol

patonthebach posted:

Also this kinda weird and creepy. I hear this poo poo all the time of people trying to out sports stars and it just seems like you are implying being gay is a bad or shameful thing. Either the guy is gay but isn't public about it (which is ok) or he is straight and this is weird thing to say about him.

It's a running gag that I guess doesn't play outside of TFF, sorry

e: ER I SHOULD SAY I'M SORRY IF ANYONE WAS OFFENDED

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gonna bow out of this one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sucks because it seems like the backlash against Sam probably kept a bunch of other pro athletes in the closet. I know a few activist players said that they had been in contact with gay NFL players who were considering coming out, but that never happened.

The almighty "It's a distraction" that doesn't apply to domestic violence for some reason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Actually watched the Batista homerun finally and :lol: did the benches really clear after that good but not overly theatric bat flip?

What a bunch of babies

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Apparently bat flips make the game 'tough to watch'

lol

We have so much to learn from Korea

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Honestly I think Bautista's batlfip was dumb because the Jays were losing, but a batflip is basically the football spike of baseball. It's so mundane it's not even worth mentioning.

Fair, and it also doesn't help that Bats is slashing a healthy .208/.330/.376 and appears to be just about done, but it's still a stupid thing to get mad about

elentar posted:

Braves shouldn't have gotten up for that, bat flipping when you've brought your team within 4 of an excessively lovely team is already sufficient self-ownage.

Also true

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's always the best time to be dramatic about a bat flip when you hit a dong

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just increase the extravagance of the flip based on the result

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

Bunting is probably the main reason I don't want the "runner starts on second" rule change in extras. Literally every inning: Bunt, attempt at sac fly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*throws fastball at dude for perceived sleight*

*loses poo poo over flipping the bat toward the dugout*

Do people still wax poetic about how Bob Gibson would put one in your earhole if you so much as glanced up from the basepaths after hitting a homer off him?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If anything the Braves should be grateful since their tank wasn't quite tanky enough

• Locked thread