Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I'll donate $10 to the brain aneurysm foundation for every Schwarberror this season, tallied up monthly

I have donated my $0 for April. :toxx:

I forgot how relatively rare scored OF errors are

edit: also that's a killer thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The last Brewers series vs the Braves was great, because Ryan Braun got injured and Freddie Freeman dropped a bomb on Miller Park.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rad Valtar posted:

Guys I think the Indians are really good.

Lindor is going to be a great player.

I saw some offseason question about which young SS you'd want to build a team around - Correa or Lindor - and in my mind it felt like such an obvious choice for Correa. Lindor really looks superb though. Lotta fun young talent in the league.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I wonder how much better Corey Seager has to be than Addison Russell to overcome the Cubs WS tidal wave of fandom and win the NL SS starting spot.

If the pre-world series fandom was any indication from last year, I'm pretty sure that every non-Cub NL team will get exactly one player each and Cubs will fill out the rest. Hope you're looking forward to Brian Duensing coming in for mop-up duty after John Lackey gives up 9 first inning homers.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
look Ryan Braun can go screw

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Carlos Martinez is getting rid of his silver hair extensions. I imagine the Best Fans will only be pleased.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i'm 99.999% on Adam Jones' side here, the other 0.001% of me is laughing at his suggestion that the offending fans get fined $30,000

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Grew up a Red Sox fan and it's baffling to me that they can be so much more unlikable than the Yankees ever but here we are

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

You have a ring, are you even allowed to have a bucket list anymore?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my next goal is to go to a game where the Cubs don't allow a first inning run but that could take years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RCarr posted:

I was at a game where a guy struck out and made it safely to first on a passed ball. That was cool!

The beauty of baseball is any given game there's a chance for you to see something you've never seen before.

Elias should make an app where you enter the games you went to and it tells you really stupid stats, like "this is the first time you were at an extra inning game" or "this is the first time you saw a 34-year old second baseman hit a triple in the fifth inning"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I saw Bret Saberhagen's comeback game in 2001 and John Smoltz's first game as a Red Sock. The latter was the day Michael Jackson died so the organist just played MJ songs the whole evening.

I also saw Wil Nieves hit a walk-off homer against the Cubs :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was at the game too, and it also was my first time seeing a balk. Well, I didn't actually see it, I looked away, and turned back to see the ump signalling everyone to move a base. I was pissed I missed it, and they didn't show a replay.

Yeah, I think showing a replay would be a lot like showing a replay on a called strike 3 - they don't want to show up the ump so they don't do it on the videoboard.

holler at us next time, we can meet up. Really if anybody goes to Wrigley I can just show my badge and come into the ballpark and find you if I'm in the area :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have literally 0 recollection of Pedro Martinez ever being on the Phillies :confused:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

On August 26, 1991, the Royals played the White Sox. I had won some sort of stupid writing contest and so got to go into the Royals clubhouse to meet some of the players. I got to meet George Brett and Danny Tartabull which was badass and I clearly remember, but my favorite player on that team, for whatever reason, was Mark Gubicza. I do not remember this, but my dad was very fond of retelling it: I saw Gubicza off at his locker and decided to go say hello. In order to get there, I had to walk by Bret Saberhagen's locker. Apparently Saberhagen stood up and said something like "hey buddy!" or something else totally awesome and friendly. I completely ignored him in order to try and talk to Gubicza (WHICH I DID AND HE WAS SUPER COOL AND I GOT A PICTURE WITH HIM).

Saberhagen pitched a no hitter that night and I like to think he was motivated in part by an elementary school kid snubbing him in his own goddamn clubhouse.

This is the best one yet.

I don't think I've been to a game with an ejection, I need that

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

You guys aren't gonna believe this but apparently Cespedes might be out longer than the Mets initially anticipated!

how funny that he was allowed to play while injured, by the Mets of all teams

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm gonna need video of the wrigley crowd chanting "gently caress JOE WEST" as asap as possible

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mike_V posted:

Cubs SP last year was improbably good. Now they're regressing a bit and also they got even older than they already were. Didn't they also have incredibly good injury luck last year, aside from Schwarber?

Yeah, our injury luck is still pretty good right now since Brett Anderson on the DL is probably addition by subtraction and nobody else has died

I can't wait to see our starting lineup today, guessing Rizz and Baez are both out since they were both ended up gimpy from that game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it seems possible that perhaps both sides are bad and stupid in this situation

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Citizen Tayne posted:

It takes a lot of strength to admit that you have a guy who posts six times a year on ignore. Bravo.

Do you have a google alert or something

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Citizen Tayne posted:

I come here to share news and views on my favorite baseball team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, i.e. that the ownership and management let a very good team sink by being cheap. Anyone who gives a poo poo about decent baseball in the NL should be upset at how hosed this team was over the course of two years.

You're not wrong! As much as I want the Cubs to win I'd prefer the pirates over any other alternatives in the division

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

sucks, that's his beatin' arm

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

seiferguy posted:

Are there a bunch of broken players on the Marlins? Seems like teams starting with M are cursed this year.

jose fernandez is on the 60 day dl

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I need an adult

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

offensively, schwarber is doing fine and is suffering some really bad luck. his walk rate is up, his babip is barely above 200, his swinging strike rate is almost half of what it was in 2015 yet his k-rate barely moved, he's swinging at outside pitches less. dude's going to go on a tear with these kinds of numbers.

defensively, what did you expect?

how dare you post a reasonable defense of the guy who just finished his 106th major league game? he is a washed up bum who should be traded for pennies immediately.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Derek Jeter is literally the 10th best shortstop in the history of Major League Baseball by WAR.

and nondescript Mike Trout is set to surpass his career WAR by his age 28 season :v:

this is not intended to be a criticism of Jeter, just an eyepopping number from Trout

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

I went to look this up and discovered there was a second Billy Hamilton in the 1800s, and this one had 100+ steals in a season three times. :tinfoil:

he is a hall of famer so this is probably only news to me

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah, that shortstop sure was garbage for his 36-40 age seasons

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
even if you pull out his last five years he's still good enough for the 12th best SS all time in fWAR, and that's unfairly (imo) pulling out his legit 2012

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

El Gallinero Gros posted:

La Russa's the most overrated manager in MLB history.

yes, but would he have batted Jeter second?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

If this isn't Hall of Fame material then just disband it already

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

loving truth. Before 1998 (which is when he started according to Game of Shadows) he had 7400 PAs with a 162 OPS+, 3 MVPs and 91.5 WAR.

pff, that's obviously just because they gamed his order in the lineup to enhance his Hall of Fame likelihood

Going to see Giants/Cubs next Tuesday now, it will be billed as an NLDS rematch of Cueto vs Lester but now that both teams are garbage who knows what will happen! (prediction: rainout)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm still skeptical about this conclusion. For one thing, pitches Bonds sees at 0-2 are not going to have the same ball-strike ratio as pitches he sees at 3-0.

Not to mention that his bat was so feared that he was literally intentionally walked with the bases loaded on at least one occasion

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

I have an Altuve jersey that I found in the breakroom, does that count

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kirios posted:

Let us forever be the underdogs.

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic that as of this point in the season, this is the best Astros team I've ever seen. There is no real glaring weakness.

Mike Fiers and Joe Musgrove a little. Is Keuchel's return to form sustainable?

They are clearly the class of MLB right now though, them or the Nats (whose bullpen is a huge issue right now)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

29-13 :getin:

Didn't realize it was a day game earlier

Keuchel has been great but I'm concerned by him having such a huge number of balls out of the zone swung at. If hitters start waiting him out it might get messy

I thought this was a big part of his down 2016 but that's probably a gross oversimplification.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Which is why Poque's $10 charity donation for every Schwarber error isn't working out very well. :smith:

it is for me.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope the game goes off without a hitch and everybody goes out for ice cream after

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Keuchel to the DL with a pinched nerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

I mean, that's the easiest question ever

God how dare you