Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'd say a 6 game suspension for intentionally throwing at someone and 20 games for throwing at someone with intent to injure.

I think his point was that it is really, really hard to determine which is which. Hockey and football both go through this on a weekly basis where the incident gets the Zapruder treatment and fans/sports shouting shows/league officials all try and divine what was in the assailant's head moments before the incident. Believe it or not fans of the respective teams believe either that "it was clearly accidental" or "he was clearly headhunting" depending on team affiliation, then the league hands down a punishment somewhere in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

The answer is obvious. Harper is the one who escalated a common occurrence, into a fistfight, though. I'm not enough of a regular of baseball threads to know if this is something you guys bring up every time someone is thrown at, or if you're taking exception because it's Bryce Harper.

There's an awful lot of precedent that says charging the mound after getting deliberately plunked is at least tacitly acceptable - the league obviously can't condone the behavior but they certainly don't want it gone from the game, either (look at all the media coverage this has put on one of the league's marquee players).

I'm probably more into fighting and violence in baseball more than most posters and thus I'd be fine with Harper just getting a fine, or a very short suspension. In this case especially, Strickland was totally off the reservation with his own childish vendetta. He unilaterally instigated the incident, and having to answer for that behavior with fighting is not only entertaining but also the moral and just thing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

I don't think many of us here think he was trying to injure Harper, just that his reason for doing this is so blindingly stupid as to make it indefensible. MLB pitchers are good enough that they can put a ball between a guys numbers and "send a message" or whatever they're trying to do, and clearly not be trying to injure the guy.

The ironic thing is that most injuries that happen from HBPs are just balls thrown inside that get away from the pitcher and hit a hand or forearm, and that of course should not be punished except by awarding the base (I'm still sorry about Springer last year guys)>

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what is an abraham almonte?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In his rookie season Albert Pujols played with Mark McGwire, who in his rookie season played with Reggie Jackson.

• Locked thread