Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

N: Schwarber mashed a 462-foot dinger tonight.

V: I don't care if he's only hitting .187 and is a disaster in the field. I love our beefy boy. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Walrus posted:

so all cheating should be allowed then

Hell yes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

3 of the last 4 teams that had the same record or better after 40 games have gone on to win the World Series:
  • 1984 Tigers
  • 1998 Yankees
  • 2001 Mariners
  • 2016 Cubs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

If Keuchel stays healthy I see no reason why he can't repeat a 2015-like line. He's back to doing what he did then.

Why isn't Arrieta pitching like he did in 2015 then? :argh:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

For an outfielder to get the ball you pretty much need to catch and drop it. Anything else that requires a modicum of effort and it won't get called an error.

Which is why Poque's $10 charity donation for every Schwarber error isn't working out very well. :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

patonthebach posted:

As a gay jays fan this whole this is getting way overblown and fast. Its all over the radio this morning. I hear that phrase all the time at pro and amateur sporting events.I hear it on my softball team that is half filled with gays, lesbians, EMTs and cops. It doesn't have to mean "lets round up the gays". It was a stupid and hateful thing to say, and I am sure he regrets saying it, but he wasn't saying it with the intention to insult gay people in general. If I remember correctly, Pillar was one of the vocal Jays when they were interviewed a year or two ago about the leafs "everyone can play" initiative supporting gay athletes in pro and amateur sports. He isn't John Rocker. He just said a stupid phrase. I really dont see it any different then if he called the pitcher a little bitch.

It was the last thing my ex heard before he was knocked unconscious after he came out in high school, so the word definitely has a lot more weight to some people than others. I try to at least call people out on it every time I hear it. It's a slur that's way too commonly heard, especially when sports are involved.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

If he apologized and is sincere I see no reason to lambaste him. If anything, it draws attention to how using the word was wrong and how even he recognizes he made a mistake

Hopefully the apology isn't "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

pee pee doo doo

Here is an example of a good apology for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz80FKusUA

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if a pitcher is so inaccurate that he can't stop from hitting dudes maybe he shouldn't be in the majors?

It worked really well for Nolan Ryan :shrug:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/rt_ohio/status/866845996881289216

As if you need another reason to like Joey Votto

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Going to see Giants/Cubs next Tuesday now, it will be billed as an NLDS rematch of Cueto vs Lester but now that both teams are garbage who knows what will happen! (prediction: rainout)

You predicted this a week ago and the forecast says it's nothing but rain tonight :negative:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kyle Schwarber just hit the first homer to reach Sheffield since they expanded the bleachers last year. 476 feet. :stare:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

rickiep00h posted:

The one Rizzo hit was pretty well murdered, too.

Pff, that one was a measly 407-footer. :rolleyes:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't want to alarm anyone in this thread, but a cubs starter made it past the seventh inning for the first time this season

99-pitch complete-game 4-hitter for Lester. Too bad 3 of those hits happened in the same inning and he didn't get the shutout.

2:05 game time. Must be because of the new intentional walk rule.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joey Freshwater posted:

Best minor league affiliate is Montgomery Biscuits. It's my favorite hat

Hillsboro Hops, even though I hate IPAs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Lester's feat last night of throwing a complete game while getting 10+ strikeouts and 0 walks in under 100 pitches was only the 6th time since 2000 that's occurred. The last time it happened was by James Shields in 2012.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

N: Michael Conforto leads all NL outfielders in wRC+. He isn't on the All-Star Game ballot.

V: the ASG voting process is awful and needs to be updated ASAP.

I hope you're ready for Kyle "80 wRC+" Schwarber, starting NL left fielder. :getin:

In looking up his stats, I saw that Schwarber's wRC+ in low-A ball was 397 :eyepop:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He had 24 PA's lol

1.975 OPS tends to advance you to the next level pretty quickly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

wade davis finally has recorded earned runs :(

The only pitcher for the Cubs this season that hasn't recorded an earned run now is Miguel Montero

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:siren: ATTENTION: CHICAGOONS :siren:

I don't want to keep clogging up the N/V thread with this stuff, so I'm just going to post it once. Once I get all the SAS Chicagoons' cell numbers, I won't need to post here to advertise anymore. :v:

We're having another meetup this Sunday (May 28) at noon at Links Taproom in Wicker Park. We've currently got myself, Poque, Popete, Explosionface, and Joey Freshwater attending, with Pancakes tentatively attending. If you want to join us, either PM me for my cell number or just show up at Links at noon on Sunday and you'll be able to identify Poque by his giant sparkling World Series ring. :swoon:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

humpthewind posted:

Who is that

CJ Edwards.

He's also solid at doing the worm.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Thanks everyone who came to the meetup, it was super fun. Especially watching Kevlar get angrier and angrier with each successive Dodger home run.

My favorite part was when I spilled my drink. :cry:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Plaschke is always good for making himself the biggest idiot in any situation

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In the month of May, the Cubs have hit .141 with RISP and less than 2 outs. :stonklol:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Wasn't Heyward's RBI double yesterday the first non-homer run they'd scored in like a week and a half>

Yeah they mentioned that on yesterday's broadcast. The Cubs lead the NL in walks, but despite this, they're still 10th in the NL in OPS. They're just flat-out not hitting and they're even worse with RISP.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Sorry I couldn't hear you over the echoing sounds of a sweep reverberating from the weekend

My reaction this burn:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Cubs score a run! Woooooooh Contreras!

So naturally they gave up 2 the following inning. :v:

There's always last year... :unsmith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

Cubs won't make the post season but the twins will lol

The NL Central is enough of a dumpster fire where the Cubs could definitely still win the division and pull a 2006 Cardinals.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs batters with RISP this road trip:
    Friday: 0-3
    Saturday: 0-2
    Sunday: 0-9
    Monday: 1-10
    Tuesday: 1-7
    Today: 1-9
TOTAL: 3-40 (.075 AVG)

:rip:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

Live look-in at Joe Maddon's postgame press conference.

I made a more appropriate version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

That's probably enough to get Mr. Met fired.

He could still get a job being a mascot for that art museum on 5th Ave, though.

• Locked thread