Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

n: O's and Boston's bad blood just got simmering again as Baltimore's Bundy tags Betts with a HBP. There's a lot of stinkeye coming from the Boston dugout and the on-air guys say it's not going to take much more to clear the benches.

v: this kind of aggro between two rivals gives a certain undeniable spicy attraction to the play and I loving hate to think a player could get injured but I'm fascinated at the same I can't help myself.

(I don't remember what season it was but when Tampa and the Sox cleared their benches at each other at the slightest provocation it certainly was a reason to watch them play. Not a good reason, but...and below is an unforgettable illustration of how much they hated each other )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Goddamnit you loving fucks, get the gently caress out and stop making GBS threads things up for the rest of us.

There's a rumor going around, a quiet whisper, that Jones will get a standing O when he either comes on the field or takes his first AB. That would rock pretty loving hard.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Old quote. Still funny.

Showalter is apt to mumble just about anything. He once, in a conversation regarding what traits to look for when drafting, recommended against drafting any player with freckles. Because you see, no great player in the history of the sport has had freckles.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I mentioned something earlier about Showalter and freckles. I found the article. There's more.

Tim Kurkjian posted:

Showalter told us what scouts look for in a player. "They're looking for high-butt guys," he said. "You don't want a low-butt guy." And, "You don't want a 10-to-2 guy," he said, referring to a player whose feet point outward, like the hands on a clock at 10 minutes to 2. "You want a guy whose feet point in, not out."

Of course they're looking for high-butt guys. Everybody is looking for high-butt guys.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5422772

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

apparently machado just went off on all of the red sox organization

Machado went off because race stuff and because Sale threw at Machado because Bundy threw at Betts because Barnes threw at Machado because Pedy got spiked. Hard to keep track.

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 3, 2017

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kathy tried to kick Jimmy. So Jimmy's friend threw a rock at Kathy. One of Kathy's friends didn't like that so he threw a rock at another friend of Jimmy's. Kathy said all of Jimmy's friends were dumb. And a really bad boy called Kathy's friend a very bad word which the grownups didn't like. And then another friend of Jimmy's threw another rock at Kathy. So Kathy said all of Jimmy's friends were big butts but he used bad words.

Just sit there and don't make me turn around.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It was laughable when MLB's Hype Lords starting selling BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY back when both the Nats and the O's weren't terribly interesting but now that they are both watchable, BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY is still dumb as a slogan but gently caress yeah, I'll watch.

For the opening salvo, Nats should drill Machado. For purely commercial purposes.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't understand why so many people are anti-walk. Like, sure, a walk's not a dinger or a double, but it's not a K or a DP either.

You can't walk off the island.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I steadfastly refuse to hate Matt Harvey, but I will say that at 28 god damned years old, the man really should be better at managing hangover symptoms, if in fact that's what actually happened.

Imagine having a stressful job that beats the hell out of your body and it's against corporate rules to call in sick. Any of us here call in after a few too many the night before?

This is what greenies are for goddamnit, put the big bowl of greenies back on the locker room table for chrissakes. <ghost of Mantle nods his head>

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I said some bad words earlier about Ubaldo Jiménez but other than giving up an early dinger, he was nails. Lights out.

I’m extremely embarrassed. It’s completely my fault. I put myself in a bad place to be jawing about Ubaldo, and that is my responsibility. I take full blame for that.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

On this day in history,

1910 - Future HOF Chief Bender of the Philadelphia Athletics pitches a 4 - 0 no-hitter against the Cleveland Naps. Bender, who misses a perfect game by issuing a walk, will compile a 23-5 record during the season. He entered the HOF with a 212-127 record, for a .625 winning percentage and a 2.46 ERA.

1955 - Toothpick Sam Jones of your Chicago Cubs becomes the first black pitcher to throw a no-hitter. Unfortunately only 2,918 fans are on hand to witness it.

1958 - Willie Mays hits the first grand slam in the history of the San Francisco Giants.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Long time baseball men will tell you that Tebow runs hard out of the box every time, his work ethic is off the charts, has got major league character, a projectable baseball body, a good face, and is a team player that makes everyone around him better. Francoeur is a good comp for him. What is Tebow anyway, is that some kind of French name?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

So to sum that all up: "hi butt."

Hi butt goes a long way for real baseball men. See the physical description for Jeter's scouting report

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gosh I hope I'm not intruding on roidchat but yesterday ALTUVE HIT THE loving DINGER MACHINE.

The internets is fine and all but I wish there was some kind of universe where I woke up in the morning to retrieve the morning paper newspaper, opened it up, and that was the headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

• Locked thread