Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB.tv Sharing Thread

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

CLICK THE COOL THING FOR .GIF THREAD

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also I asked this in the previous thread that was closed for no reason pls answer:

So seeing all of these exit velocity charts based on baseballs hit by very large very strong young men....

...How in the hell did Mickey Mantle/Babe Ruth hit ~600 foot HRs? Or is that apocryphal?

Almost definitely, unless they count rolling distance in which case it's possible.

Poque posted:

edit: also that's a killer thread title
:tipshat:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

To whoever was asking if a rec league baseball/softball thread would be warranted, I would be all about it. My body is too broken to play hardball anymore, but I'm on a slow pitch softball team, and I absolutely love it.

someone :justpost: and then say something about it in here and I'll put a link to it in the OP

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

We have a nice shiny new 2017 GIF thread that you can post that to, just so you know :)

I knew I forgot a link in the OP, thanks for the reminder

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MarneyGellner/status/859580082012246017

https://twitter.com/RealClearSports/status/859581269834956800

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 3, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alpha_destroy posted:

To be honest, I'm just happy it isn't my team that are the crazy idiot psychos this year. I mean the Royals are garbage, but at least their not head-hunting right now.

Probably because their biggest culprit is no longer with the team :rip:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Why do you think the woman got drilled in the face? Darn kids these days, not paying attention (for 460ft HRs to deadcenter)

Real answer: It's an all-inclusive space with free food & drink (the cost is in the season ticket). IIRC they're surface tablets that allow fans to choose between different camera and/or network feeds of the game. There's no good scoreboard viewing from that spot, so it's pretty necessary for replays etc.

Yeah it's a VIP area, which is also why they have a restaurant back there (which you can see in the video of the dong on the other tweet).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Saw Nelson Cruz put one off the facade of the "Catch" section last year and was impressed enough.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1184193583/seamin-cruz-hammers-tworun-homer-to-deep-center/?player_id=443558
The extra bit to put it in the section is awesome. Sano the first to do it?

Park did it last year

http://m.mlb.com/video/v593993283/laamin-park-follows-arcias-homer-with-his-own/?c_id=mlb

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

You had a chance to say "baseball balk-it list" and missed it and now you have to live with that for the rest of your life

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You could take that Jon Bois article about "What is a catch?" and apply it to balks without much work.

I actually really hope they change the rules for what lefties are allowed to do on pick-off moves. It's facially stupid that they can throw to first without taking a foot off the rubber but righties can't.

Balk Rules
1) You can't just be up there and just doin' a balk like that.
1a. A balk is when you
1b. Okay well listen. A balk is when you balk the
1c. Let me start over
1c-a. The pitcher is not allowed to do a motion to the, uh, batter, that prohibits the batter from doing, you know, just trying to hit the ball. You can't do that.
1c-b. Once the pitcher is in the stretch, he can't be over here and say to the runner, like, "I'm gonna get ya! I'm gonna tag you out! You better watch your butt!" and then just be like he didn't even do that.
1c-b(1). Like, if you're about to pitch and then don't pitch, you have to still pitch. You cannot not pitch. Does that make any sense?
1c-b(2). You gotta be, throwing motion of the ball, and then, until you just throw it.
1c-b(2)-a. Okay, well, you can have the ball up here, like this, but then there's the balk you gotta think about.
1c-b(2)-b. Fairuza Balk hasn't been in any movies in forever. I hope she wasn't typecast as that racist lady in American History X.
1c-b(2)-b(i). Oh wait, she was in The Waterboy too! That would be even worse.
1c-b(2)-b(ii). "get in mah bellah" -- Adam Water, "The Waterboy." Haha, classic...
1c-b(3). Okay seriously though. A balk is when the pitcher makes a movement that, as determined by, when you do a move involving the baseball and field of
2) Do not do a balk please.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For some strange reason Not Ervin Santana won AL Pitcher of the Month and Not MarcusEric Thames won NL Player of the Month for April

Trout and Ivan Nova were AL Player and NL Pitcher, to round out the awards

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 3, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

Not bad for a 40 year old that hasn't played in 6 years!

:downs: whoops

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Top three coolest for me were a Johan/Pedro duel, Game 2 of the '91 series, and singing the anthem the first game after 9/11 :911:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

To be fair, "old fashioned" is in fact a kind of donut, and they are pretty good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't have a "Miguel Sano is really strong" update today for you all but instead have a "Byron Buxton is stupid fast" update

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1350810883/statcast-of-the-day-buxtons-catch-triple-vs-as

(it is a pretty cool diving catch and a stand up triple to not right field)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cis autodrag posted:

If I want to just see quick highlights of yesterday's games when I get into the office, what's the best place? I looked at the Must C section on MLB but there are only two clips from yesterday. I just want to see a rundown of the notable stuff from the day before since I only have time to watch Brewers games in full.

http://m.mlb.com/video/search?mlbtax=vtp_mm_wrapup&tagName=Recap

I think they do one that summarizes every game from the previous night as well but I can't find it. They may have stopped doing it because it was good, much like they stopped doing the video that showed every dinger from the night before.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was at this game. It was incredible. e: I lied, it was a different Twins/Cubs game that I went to but this play is so ingrained in my memory that I thought I was there.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/06/1357204783/1494042164504/asset_2500K.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Having sat through the entirety of that poo poo, I'd believe essentially any number in the Red Sox score.

We all had 23 runs scored for the Santana/Sale matchup though, right?

The Twins continue to inexplicably own Chris Sale and Santana was probably due for a stinker so sure, why not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Yeah, our injury luck is still pretty good right now since Brett Anderson on the DL is probably addition by subtraction and nobody else has died

I can't wait to see our starting lineup today, guessing Rizz and Baez are both out since they were both ended up gimpy from that game.

Brett Anderson on the DL is also his natural state

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

The Braves picked up another lovely bench player today, acquiring Danny Santana from the Twins. In return, they sent over one of their many lovely bullpen arms tucked away in AAA and a little cash.

I like this trade. Santana is super bad (don't let his rookie year fool you, he had a .405 BABIP) and Chapman is a lefty who strikes people out sometimes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

NJ.com has some decent writers on their site, so why not read this wonderful listicle about potential trade targets for Matt Harvey.

-Mike Trout plus a throw-in

That's not even close to what it says

quote:

The signature piece in the deal would be a guy the Angels continually say they won't deal, so the Mets may have to give up a little more than just Harvey... Actually, a lot more. It would have to be a huge package that would include some top prospects. First base prospect Dominic Smith, who grew up nearby in Los Angeles, would give the Halos an exciting face to replace the aging Albert Pujols at first base. The Mets need a third baseman and Cowart isn't quite panning out the way the Angels had hoped and a change of scenery could be beneficial.
The Mets might have to mortgage the farm but hey, it's the best player in baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

Baseball has had plenty of Johnny Manziels.

Here's where I plug Jon Bois's thing on Lonnie Smith again in case there's anyone left who hasn't seen it.

I hadn't seen it until just now and holy poo poo. I almost felt bad for Lonnie about 1991 until Jon Bois showed that slow motion replay where he clearly turns to look at Knobloch while JB continues to deny that he did.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm still too pained by that Series to watch after game five. I hadn't seen the Lonnie Smith piece until today and I still couldn't watch that portion.

As far as I'm concerned, the real enemy is Kent Hrbek.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I wish people didn't no-sell my Astros Lounge :smith:

This is your only post in the thread and I have no idea what you're talking about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

Michael Conforto and Jerry Blevins need to get together and find out who is poisoning/kneecapping their teammates.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

Twinsposting.

DON'T MIND IF I DO!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1377398583/mincws-sano-lifts-a-solo-homer-to-right-field/?query=twins

Casually flipping a pitch down and away about 350 feet for a dong on a 1-2 count :allears:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/12/1378198183/1494557760035/asset_2500K.mp4

I love that the video board is celebrating the win while the ball is still in flight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

This owns, the team's social media dude just coming out and roasting them is great

iospace please update the title: I may need a ticket for a Cubs game

If anyone can work a pun into that please do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

:toot: Twins Alone In First Place! :toot:

Twins, bitch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cleveland's radio guy was pretty excited about the Buxton catch (also this shows just how much ground he had to cover to get there)

https://twitter.com/Monte_Colorman/status/863838174199656450

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

There's a serious debate on my facebook timeline about whether or not he deserves to be the first unanimous HOFer and I want to die.

The answer is no because there are tons of players before him that deserved it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't put ketchup on hot dog sandwiches but I do put ketchup on hot dogs because if you use actual good ingredients you're wasting them on a freaking hot dog.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Errors are a dumb stat in general because they're 100% subjective.

Also you get punished for having better range and trying more difficult plays.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is why I always laugh at people who hate WAR because it's "too complicated" but still think batting average is a good stat.

Not that batting average is a bad stat, but it's complicated as poo poo because of all the things that can change whether or not something is a hit or at bat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

I'm not actually participating in BondsHallDopeChat v13855 but this did make me curious: were amphetamines etc banned at that time?

They were banned in the same way steroids were banned in the 90s/early 2000s. There was technically a rule against it but no testing for it at the major league level and nobody actually gave a poo poo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Not to mention that his bat was so feared that he was literally intentionally walked with the bases loaded on at least one occasion

This doesn't even do it justice. It was the bottom of the ninth and walking him made it a one run game

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67794252/v134341083/arisf-dbacks-walk-bonds-with-the-bases-loaded

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Especially since Edmonds was a better hitter than Jones, by a fair bit. Although Jones seems like the better fielder, which is saying something.

Edmonds was probably closer to an average fielder than anything, he just made a lot of highlight reel plays because he positioned himself like an idiot.

But still, even an average fielding CF with a bat like that not being in the hall is sad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Citizen Tayne posted:

*cooperstown vanishes suddenly*

Having been to Cooperstown before I'm not 100% sure this is a bad thing, though I'd feel bad for basically the entire town losing their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Guys I just went outside and polled twenty-six people and none of them had cancer so good news, cancer is cured!

• Locked thread