Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Happy Dock Ellis tries to hit all the Reds day!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT197405010.shtml

11 pitches, three hit batters, 1 walk since Tony Perez was having none of it, and 1 run. Pulled after missing Bench twice.

Something oddly funny to me about hitting Reds on May Day though. Save it for the bourgeoisie, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Saw Nelson Cruz put one off the facade of the "Catch" section last year and was impressed enough.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1184193583/seamin-cruz-hammers-tworun-homer-to-deep-center/?player_id=443558
The extra bit to put it in the section is awesome. Sano the first to do it?

cis autodrag posted:

its weird because nowadays i can afford the vip poo poo, and yet id rather buy tickets somewhere really close to the infield. i can get my own drat food, i just want to see 90% of the action up close.

Ditto, though front row of that section is on my short list. I tend to splurge on stubhub the 3-4 times I get to see the M's each season. In recent years, garbage M's vs. garbage Twins tickets can be had for cheap - even if you're grabbing decent seats.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Bring/make a sign for the camera that states that this pitcher is Something Awful

Do you have stairs in your clubhouse?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pancakes posted:

N: Cardinals rained out again, so have an adorable Dex video.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/859524170778005504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Save her, Dex.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I'm an M's fan. I've got nothing.

Willie Horton night? They drove around the perimeter of the Kingdome and threw 300 baseballs into the stands to celebrate his recent 300th HR.

Despite going to a game or two a season since 1977, I think it was 1987 or so before i saw the M's win a game.
I was in college and grad school in the 90s. Too poor and busy to have seen any of the decent crap they did in person.

If I did the math right, I saw the M's clinch at least a wild card berth, but it was in 2001 and nobody gave a crap since the playoffs were a foregone conclusion.

Edgar Martinez night in 2004 - annoyingly one game after Ichiro collected hit #258 the night before.

Saw a drunk as Hell A's fan get cuffed and arrested at a game in 2007. That was amusing.
Also saw 4-5 Miguel Bautista starts in 2007, so that offsets any enjoyment from that season.

Saw Taijuan Walker throw a one hitter. Ruined by a Miguel Sano HR that didn't have the decency to go 450 feet.

At least the future is super bright for the M's though. Right?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Went to watch the clip of Belle laying out Vina. Saw this in the related videos.

Bottom of the 11th? Hit by a pitch? NO. I want to hit, drat it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDBFAFOqC8

With a bonus of what I assume were some "turn forward the clock" unis.

Edit : I didn't notice the graphic at the start of the clip and checked the box score. Belle was 4-4 on the day at the time of the at bat. 3 HRs, a single and walk. Wanted that game winning 4th HR pretty bad, I guess. Orioles won in that inning. Ripken singled in Surhoff three batters later.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 4, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Gonna doublepost, cause James Paxton just went on the DL with a left forearm strain. That's 3 out of the 5 original starting pitchers on this team on the DL now. Also, left forearm strain sounds too ominous...

Jesus loving Christ.

Guess I had momentarily focused on him being good instead of remembering that he's made of glass.

edit :
I work at a smallish ad agency in Minneapolis. A coworker was told to do this in a meeting room today.

Apparent meeting / schmooze fest with some reps from the Twins on Monday in hopes of landing a new client.

Bring on the free tickets.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The Mariners and Griffey napgate was hilarious.

Cliff Lee stopping mid press conference, refusing to go on until the reporter that broke the story left the room. And Mike Sweeney apparently offering to fight any player that admitted to being of the of two unnamed sources.

Professional athletes are hilarious babies.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The baseball reference facebook page points out the best things.

Joe West - a big baby even 33 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIykgVoGVXc

Also, this is me when I'm able to correctly guess their player of the day.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

I laugh every time I remember that ESPN put the words "Weed Mouse" into an article.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nick Rivers posted:

I was looking up Harvey on BBref after all this talk about him and found his Most Similar Player at age 26 was this dude with a really awesome name:
Old Hoss Radbourn

Old Hoss has over 300 career wins despite only playing 11 years, and only winning 7 games one of those years.

One year he went 59-12 with a 1.38 era, he started 73 games and every game he started was a complete game, and he pitched 678.2 innings.

Baseball is cool and the olden days were wacky.

Do yourself a favor and read "59 in '84" by Edward Achorn.
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825875/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

He liked pitching, drinking, and flipping off cameras.

When you're done, read Achorn's other book as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Beer-Whiskey-Barkeeps-Immigrants/dp/1610393775/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Cano listed day to day after leaving last nights game early and...

Iwakuma to the 10 day. Now at 4/5ths of the expected opening day rotation on the DL at once. Metsesque.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Cano is back today and he's 4/4 with a HR, so I wouldn't be too worried about him.

Heh. Hadn't even noticed they were already playing today.
That's a hell of a day to day.

Edit : Ladies and Gentlemen, your .500 baseball Mariners.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 10, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
When your upside is Willie Bloomquist....

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Lol, Tebow's upside is not Willie Bloomquist. He can barely keep up with kids almost a decade younger than him in A ball. He's going to get slaughtered in AA.

Well, no, of course not. He'll never sniff the majors unless the Mets go full idiot, and by all rights should never have been signed.

I was just trying to come up with what Poque was describing. Willie Boom Boom is my permanent vision of utility guy that plays a load of positions, but none of them all that well, yet stuck around a lot longer than anyone would have guessed.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Did I just get confused with Poque? If only...

Lol. Yes you sure did.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

kensei posted:

Not seeing the downside to Tim Tebow, knuckleballer. I mean, you saw him throw footballs, right?

WHAT IN THE HELL SINCE WHEN HAS BO BEEN WINKING?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
He was still playing a handful of games in the field, but Harold Baines was DHing a vast majority of the time starting in 1987.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If PEDs help you so much, how come Bartolo only has one dinger?

Also - please remember that Bud Selig is going into the HOF this Summer. Elected as the earliest opportunity, less than two years after retiring.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kwilty posted:

This article made me feel slightly better about the Mariner's problems.... slightly.

Fear not! Steve Cishek is back!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

he's pitched for 2/3 of an inning and allowed three runners (all of whom scored, which is why his ERA is what it is)

Yeah - it's really just SSS, but drat.

A ground out his first game back, and then got lit the Hell up last night.

Even if all the injured M's get back, their pitching is suspect as Hell and the bullpen is a mess.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Oh my gawd this is amazing. I'd also like to thank it for being a thing that reminded me of Jose Canseco's header home-run.

The game was over even if he caught it, but drat.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1397217283/cws-laa-pujols-wins-it-with-walk-off-single

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait did they...not score than at error?!

Come to think of it...

If he catches it, the runner tags and scores from third. Game over, sac fly for Albert.

If it was scored an error - game over but Pujols gets dinged for it.

Seems odd that he would get screwed out of a tiny bit of batting average like that.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Have some Tom Lawless and enjoy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From the "Why are you guys still watching baseball this season? LOL M's" division of trivia:

According to baseball reference, last night's M's starter Christian "who?" Bergman put of the 2nd worst game score in Mariner's history with a -8.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

How is this even a rivalry

They're perpetually mean to Felix.

But drat it it's impossible not to love Altuve.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

We traded Randy to you in 98 and he went from mediocre to incredible and it sucked a lot.

But his back was going to give out any minute. You cant extend that contract!

Uhhh. Might want to check that giants bats game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Assuming he meant the first half on 1998.

• Locked thread