Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh don't worry, I plan to make a big effortpost near the end of this LP about Kainé and why I love her a lot, and why her outfit is ridiculous looking but ultimately not a concern for me like it is with characters like Quiet, for example. Long story short, Kainé is a goddamn badass and her outfit is great

Speaking of great things, here's this session's NieR Notes!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love your little sketches, they reminded me of the Odyssey to the West LP where they had that one commentator doing sketches, and at one point she just runs out of things to draw and draws a page of nothing but peoples toned Butts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some scenes seem much more suited to one of the Niers than the other. That "Yes! You and I are friends now!" bit feels like it was shot with Brother Nier in mind. Fits more of a juvenile enthusiasm thing.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I read it more as Dad really wants Kainé to live, either because he respects her as a fighter and a person or because he just doesn't want to let someone die on his watch (or hell, both) and he will say or do anything to make sure she doesn't give up. Including agreeing to whatever cheesy thing Weiss is saying, since the notion of having friends did seem to perk Kainé up a bit. He's just desperate, and is grasping at whatever he can to try to convince her not to give up on herself.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Is it possible to agree with both Bruceski and Fae? Like, that line really does sound like it was written for the original Nier, but yeah they definitely found a way to justify it for DadNier.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Bruceski posted:

Some scenes seem much more suited to one of the Niers than the other. That "Yes! You and I are friends now!" bit feels like it was shot with Brother Nier in mind. Fits more of a juvenile enthusiasm thing.

With that body language, definitely. The animations look a little ridiculous for an old man.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Related, one of my favorite alterations between versions is the scene where Nier agrees to go look for Jakob and Gideon's mother at the Junk Heap. Brother Nier goes along with it because he sees two kids with a situation similar to him and his sister and he idealistically and desperately wants there to be a happy ending for the two brothers, while Papa Nier does it out of a sense of obligation to make the kids feel better, not unlike a dad checking under the bed for monsters; he already knows what's waiting at the end, but it's just the fatherly thing to do.

Source, from TDI's LP's bonus content

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

tiistai posted:

With that body language, definitely. The animations look a little ridiculous for an old man.

This; for a brief moment, it was as if Dad was an "I fight for my friends!" anime protaganist, and the contrast of that with the rugged and roughed-up old man body was beautiful. :allears:
Though I did come to the same conclusion, that it was a result of him clutching at straws just to get Kanye to not give up, and not really thinking about what he was doing/saying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I read it more as Dad really wants Kainé to live, either because he respects her as a fighter and a person or because he just doesn't want to let someone die on his watch (or hell, both) and he will say or do anything to make sure she doesn't give up. Including agreeing to whatever cheesy thing Weiss is saying, since the notion of having friends did seem to perk Kainé up a bit. He's just desperate, and is grasping at whatever he can to try to convince her not to give up on herself.

Nier is a really good guy at heart. This game does a great job of making its main characters textured but genuinely likeable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tiistai posted:

Yeah, that's what pings it for me. The sentiment works.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If Yoko Taro does remake NieR I hope that it includes both Father and Brother NieR so we can see how they play off each other.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

White Coke posted:

If Yoko Taro does remake NieR I hope that it includes both Father and Brother NieR so we can see how they play off each other.
Oh yeah, I'd definitely be down with that. It'd resolve that lingering question of "why is Nier going off for days at a time when he has a sick daughter at home": the other one would be taking care of her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Oh yeah, I'd definitely be down with that. It'd resolve that lingering question of "why is Nier going off for days at a time when he has a sick daughter at home": the other one would be taking care of her.

It takes a village to raise a child.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

11. The Prestigious Mask

RareAcumen posted:

It takes a village to raise a child.

Childcare is difficult, you know!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The audio seems weird in the uncut version.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"At least the music's nice!" says Fae, in this, the game where the music is always incredible.

NieR's OST is a work of art all on its own.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

12. Temple of Drifting Sands

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There has never been a desert level I enjoyed. In any genre of game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

13. Gods Bound by Rules

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This boss music is extremely good and you should probably click that music link!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I know you guys (finally) mentioned the words, but have you been equipping them at all? It's not a big deal in the early game, but you can get pretty significant boosts to damage/magic/health/etc. from them, and they get ever more powerful as the game goes on. Also, you should try out Dark Phantasm sometime, especially when you are finding yourself a bit outnumbered.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

I know you guys (finally) mentioned the words, but have you been equipping them at all? It's not a big deal in the early game, but you can get pretty significant boosts to damage/magic/health/etc. from them, and they get ever more powerful as the game goes on. Also, you should try out Dark Phantasm sometime, especially when you are finding yourself a bit outnumbered.

I think I equipped some between sessions after this one? I'll give Dark Phantasm a shot eventually...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dark Phantasm is great for those wolves.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How did you not use Dark Lance on that boss until the mid point? :v:

Seriously though, I don't know how far behind the thread is but leave Dark Lance on one button and switch out the other as needed. Using the right magic on the right enemies helps to get through Nier's bland combat but unfortunately it's really easy to forget to switch magics because it's behind a couple menus. Luckily the game only really throws you into situations where you're fighting one or two enemies types so you just need to see what you're fighting at the start of the encounter and switch then.

Dark Lance is basically for everything that isn't really small and really fast. Dark Blast for basic work against basic, slower enemies. Dark Fist for physical resistant and slower enemies. Dark Phantasm for fast swarms. Gluttony for bullet hells with a single target. I don't think Wall ever saw much use because of the aforementioned magic switching menus.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahaha whoever bought Fae's avatar deserves a cookie or something, that's great!

6. This Dream

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

and here's the NieR notes for the last session, featuring really lovely doodles of shades, wolves, and the boss!

Also whoever got my avatar, I love it! Thank you!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

and here's the NieR notes for the last session, featuring really lovely doodles of shades, wolves, and the boss!

Also whoever got my avatar, I love it! Thank you!

Argate, you need to get more herbs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I still have no idea what's happening. There's not a lot of talk of the overall plot in the game so far, but if fetch-quest oriented games have taught me anything, some major poo poo is due to go down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be fair, we haven't seen the main plot yet, anyway. So far all we have is "Yonah has the Black Scrawl" and "You can cure it by collecting all the Sealed Verses". The real plot doesn't really kick in until the second half of the game, although we'll get a taste toward the end of Act 1.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's natural if you're confused now, because we just don't have all the information on on what's going on yet. We're desperately chasing rumors. My only advice is to pay attention to every new piece of information we get, but don't take anything for granted: our understanding of this Black Scrawl situation could change at any moment.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I still have no idea what's happening. There's not a lot of talk of the overall plot in the game so far, but if fetch-quest oriented games have taught me anything, some major poo poo is due to go down.

This is the first act of a Yoko Taro game, you shouldn't expect to get the whole story in the first loop. I'm sure things will be explained in time but in the meantime I'm basically doing this:

JT Jag posted:

My only advice is to pay attention to every new piece of information we get, but don't take anything for granted: our understanding of this Black Scrawl situation could change at any moment.

This is actually the original intent of The Notebook and I think its going to get a lot of use in the upcoming acts of the game as I struggle desperately to understand the plot and remember details that I only half wrote down because I have zero skill in note-taking

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I'd been meaning to start following this thread when it first started, but I'm so very glad I got caught up now.

The notes are a real treat, because I've read TDI's LP of NieR and it's wonderful to see someone else's blind take on Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Now we just have to wait and see how long it takes for more avatars to erupt, because this game makes Avatar material in spades.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Disc 1
23. Yonah / Pluck Ver. 2
Disc 2
5. His Dream

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Mayor's voice reminds me of the Mayor of Townsville in Powerpuff Girls. "You must rescue my people! Blah, HURRY!"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I quite enjoyed the CJacobs audio book!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

7. Repose

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is the world ending because people are either just waiting around all day or spending all their time doing sidequests?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
"Tell him thank you for lying to me for 50 years about someone being alive so I could never move on with my life."

:psyduck:

No lady that's not what you're supposed to say

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I mean yeah it was a nice sentiment in a way I guess, but these people also lied to you mainly so you could keep the lighthouse running until you drop dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think it's supposed to be partly or mostly telling him thank you for the letter delivery, because he's not supposed to to know that she knows, with maybe just an underlying acknowledgement that he tried, if poorly.