Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was worried that this LP had fallen victim to the NieR VLP curse. Glad to see it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

White Coke posted:

I was worried that this LP had fallen victim to the NieR VLP curse. Glad to see it back.

Me too, this LP is great.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hi I have an episode ready that I'll post later, but for now, we're starting a stream as soon as OBS decides it's done updating.

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As promised, the next episode.

(Special thanks to Jobbo_Fett for reading this one).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, that was a short boss fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Well, that was a short boss fight.

Yeah, that'll happen when the second boss of the act is transplanted straight into your NG+ without any changes. :v:

(Video will be up in the next two days, it's been a very busy week for me).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Time for the Nier Notes for this session!

Page 17 - Page 18 = Episodes 36-37

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I really appreciate the effort you go through to make these sections into excellent audiobooks.

It's funny, back when I read TDI's LP of this game, I was sure this new guy's interjections were all his work. :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The amazing fittingness of each song and song-variant to the scene is another, albeit much lesser, reason that everyone flipped their collective poo poo in anticipation when they heard about NieR Automata - Keiichi Okabe's a goddamned wizard with music to begin with, and Platinum Games does some stellar dynamic music mixing in their games (See: Revengeance for a perfect example, as extra layers of the song and/or the actual vocals fade in and out depending on the action level).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Archenteron posted:

[...] and Platinum Games does some stellar dynamic music mixing in their games (See: Revengeance for a perfect example, as extra layers of the song and/or the actual vocals fade in and out depending on the action level).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw being the most well-known one. That is not accident, if you rush in they delay the boss's attack so that they can drop in the vocal track at the right place and suddenly you've gone from gameplay to choreographed cutscene without a hitch in the atmosphere. This blend of music without jarring is not easy to do, and is amazing when folks pull it off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Tyrann knows what franchise he's in and embraces it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So, I guess this whole run is from Kainé's perspective? We're still controlling Nier but we're hearing what she hears instead of what he does. Now that we know the shades are people we get to have our noses rubbed in how much of a monster we're being killing them all, something Kainé knew all along but can't escape from because if she stops murdering the murder-monster takes over her body and does more murder.

That still doesn't explain why she's wearing lingerie though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

So, I guess this whole run is from Kainé's perspective? We're still controlling Nier but we're hearing what she hears instead of what he does. Now that we know the shades are people we get to have our noses rubbed in how much of a monster we're being killing them all, something Kainé knew all along but can't escape from because if she stops murdering the murder-monster takes over her body and does more murder.

That still doesn't explain why she's wearing lingerie though.

I don't remember if this ever gets explained in the game but, while it's safe to assume the whole design is a "I want a woman in my game who fights in lingerie, works backwards from that" thing, shades don't like light so Kaine is wearing as little as possible except for the arm and leg that she lost entirely. Those limbs are presumably all shade and would die in light.

Don't pay attention to how Tyrann just fought the party just fine in sunlight just now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is also an aspect touched on in one of the flashbacks that we've seen, with one of the reasons the bullies give for they treatment of her is "I can't believe your still acting like a girl!"

The lingerie thing is partially her broadcasting to the world "I don't give a gently caress what you think, I'm a girl and Imma dress like one whether you like it or not!" Is her asserting her femininity in the most extreme way she can.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Don't pay attention to how Tyrann just fought the party just fine in sunlight just now.

He's probably resistant what with possessing someone's body.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how they still call them Mysterious Switches it's like, you know what they are for, you use them to repair lighthouse parts. There shouldn't be a mystery to them any more. Just say "We need replacement lightswitches/junction switches/however you use them" Surely you'd have named them by now so that you can tell them apart, even if you don't know what they used to do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I like how they still call them Mysterious Switches it's like, you know what they are for, you use them to repair lighthouse parts. There shouldn't be a mystery to them any more. Just say "We need replacement lightswitches/junction switches/however you use them" Surely you'd have named them by now so that you can tell them apart, even if you don't know what they used to do.

Father Nier just wants to think the world still has some mystery to it, all right?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Father Nier just wants to think the world still has some mystery to it, all right?

Also that Yoko Taro probably thinks its funny.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What a happy, uplifting weapon story! It didn't have any child murder at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What wonderful bedtime stories!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A man who must endlessly kill to reclaim what he loves more than anything but in the end falls to his own madness? What an impossible scenario that will never happen.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A little late, but NieR notes!

Page 19 - Episodes 39-42

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Your notes are an absolute delight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Unfortunately, this next session has a generous serving of Manhole Artix, because Audacity is a fucker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thai curry paste that you get in a can is also very good if you are down for making curry, or at least Maesri brand paste is.

Also I don't remember you guys taking out Beepy in this run, did you do that off-camera?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Thai curry paste that you get in a can is also very good if you are down for making curry, or at least Maesri brand paste is.

Also I don't remember you guys taking out Beepy in this run, did you do that off-camera?

We maaaaaaay have conflated the trips to the Junk Heap a bit.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
RIP The Aerie for the second time.

How many more times is it going to be exploded for the various endings again?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shei-kun posted:

RIP The Aerie for the second time.

How many more times is it going to be exploded for the various endings again?
With intense, dedicated completionism and proper use of saving, I *think* this can be the last time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Those twelve seconds he was married were amazing, though.

Well.

The first few of them were, anyways. Not so much the rest of them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up, this week's episode is going to be a little late, I was busy the past few days and hadn't had the time to edit it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also, I've started a Yakuza Kiwami LP!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Murdercube posted:

A beautiful village suffered from a terrible curse. Night after night a menacing cube would come and take one of the inhabitants' lives.

When a group of traveling merchants visited the village one day, the desperate population knew what they had to do to protect their loved ones. They cut the travelers' tendons with a small blade and left them for the cube overnight one by one.

The daily sacrifices worked and the village lived in peace until its reputation started to keep travelers away. With no more outsiders to offer to the cube, the population started dwindling again.

In time, we will all be taken away by the Murdercube...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the wolves were about where I started to roll my eyes a bit at the overly maudlin scenarios you learn about in the second game. I was still invested in the characters, and Tyrann was such a joy to listen to, and was fully on board to see where it was going but plots behind the main plot just got a bit more predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I think the wolves were about where I started to roll my eyes a bit at the overly maudlin scenarios you learn about in the second game. I was still invested in the characters, and Tyrann was such a joy to listen to, and was fully on board to see where it was going but plots behind the main plot just got a bit more predictable.

Yeah I'm also not that moved when every twist is that the shades were the real victims all along.