Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why is Nier rocking an eye patch now? I don't think he lost his eye from the Noir fight.

You could say it's been a rough 5 years for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A little late but its time for some NieR Notes from the previous session!

Page 7 - Page 8: Episodes 19-22

The bright yellow post-it note is there to censor the name of who I thought the Shadowlord was, just in case I was correct. Argate and Artix know what my guess is but didn't tell me if it was correct or not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also we're streaming soonish at the usual place! Come join us!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Torn between

Fae posted:

Oh
That's not good
and

Fae posted:

Okay. Sure.
What?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Faerie Fortune posted:

A little late but its time for some NieR Notes from the previous session!

I read "slow, lingering shot over the village" as "slow, lingering snot" and had to read it like three times. :sweatdrop: I don't know why, your handwriting's very legible. I guess the boss was pretty slimy.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I finally caught up with the LP and just wanted to say it's great.

I'm sad that this came out for PS3 only because I always wanted to play it and I'll look past a lot of gameplay issues for good story or music and this seems to have both.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's on 360 as well, it just never made it to PC.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Fredrik1 posted:

I finally caught up with the LP and just wanted to say it's great.

I'm sad that this came out for PS3 only because I always wanted to play it and I'll look past a lot of gameplay issues for good story or music and this seems to have both.

The gameplay isn't even that bad, at least at the base level. The combat is pretty fast (and so is Nier), so it feels quite fluid. The spells feel very impactful too (at least the good ones). The boss fights are awesome in general. Of course, that's helped by probably the best OST ever made.

Where it all falls down is when you are trying to 100% it. Many of the sidequests are an enormous pain for little reward (see the posted flow chart from page 2), and getting materials to upgrade weapons will require so many trips through the Junkyard that it's not even funny. Other than that, the game is actually pretty fun even from a gameplay perspective.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's been five years since he last had any time at all to garden? :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd almost completely forgot about this level. Too bad Automata didn't do a Diablo style level, that would have been a lot of fun with its improved combat.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Automata, for better or worse, was far more restrained in the kind of weird poo poo that it pulled. It still pulled the rug out from under you a fair bit, but it never really deviated from the third person action game framework, whereas this game constantly does stuff like the Resident Evil Diablo level or the text adventures in the forest of myth.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've been working my way through Shadow Hearts: Covenant for the first time, and because of his mask, I just see Nier as the Grand Papillon now

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:aaaaa:

I don't really see Kainé a someone who would be afraid of him at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I only wish all dads could react like that when their quasi-son is turned into a levitating magic skeleton wearing a rag.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Fae's "Oh" when she saw Emil's form was hilarious.

Now she knows what Yoko Taro is wearing all the time.

I can't tell if it's disappointment, realization, or a mix of both.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"I love him! I love my Undead Magic son!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kainé. And the basement dweller. :neckbeard:

Did they listen to that thing thrash about down there for five whole years?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up, I might miss an update next week because we planned to record last weekend, but we didn't because things happened. Hopefully we're recording tomorrow and I can at least edit the next episode to cover for that, but no promises.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poil posted:

Kainé. And the basement dweller. :neckbeard:

Did they listen to that thing thrash about down there for five whole years?

Since it was quiet when you went into the library, I like to imagine that it was slamming against the door while Emil was turning it and Kainé to stone so it also got petrified.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're streaming shortly! Come join us!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Are you ducking the sound more than usual? The game audio has been super quiet at points where in previous vids there was more of a balance.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BioEnchanted posted:

Are you ducking the sound more than usual? The game audio has been super quiet at points where in previous vids there was more of a balance.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna mention it myself, but the ducking feels a bit extreme.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

+1 on requesting less extreme ducking

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Can do! I'm still trying to get a handle on Audition, so I may have overdone it just a tiny bit!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hopefully this sounds better!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The sound balance seems better to me, thanks!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Time for the NieR notes from last session!

Page 9 - Page 10

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Faerie Fortune posted:

Page 9 - Page 10

Majora's Mask update when

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Page 9 - Page 10
I want someone to read all of your notes and try to figure out the plot of NieR when the game is over and you've seen all the endings.

They're wonderful things.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

That's basically what I have to do every time we record again after a break of longer than a few weeks :v:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Faerie Fortune posted:

That's basically what I have to do every time we record again after a break of longer than a few weeks :v:

This is why I can never watch TV series, I always end up not watching for a couple of weeks and forget completely what happened.

Maybe I should take notes.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You should, thanks to this I have found that the most hilarious way to take notes on something is to write them down as you're attempting to comprehend the thing you're seeing, without really thinking about what you're writing. It leads to...well, The Notebook

(note: this is not recommended if you actually have to take notes for work or school, it will probably lead to you failing your class and/or being fired)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fae as an avid follower of VGCW, WVGCW, EDBW, and BWA I would love to know what AI wrestling league you're watching. I didn't quite catch the name when you mentioned it.

Also RIP happiness, you were in a Yoko Taro game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

Also RIP happiness, you were in a Yoko Taro game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yoko Taro's idea of a "Happy Ending" would be amusing to see.

*The whole world is reduced to a blighted nothingness*
Player: "How is this a happy ending?
Yoko Taro: "Those kids over there survived. :)"
Player: "Oh yeah..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Yoko Taro's idea of a "Happy Ending" would be amusing to see.

*The whole world is reduced to a blighted nothingness*
Player: "How is this a happy ending?
Yoko Taro: "Those kids over there survived. :)"
Player: "Oh yeah..."

He announced for Nier Automata it would have a happy ending.

So, you know. You don't have to imagine. It exists! You can see what he calls a happy ending with your own eyes.

(And I'm sorry. I just can't imagine children surviving a Taro Yoko game.)