Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When I first heard the "Automata" part of Nier: Automata's name I admit to a certain feeling of dread as I recalled memories of the junk heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We got a big fat liar playing this game I see.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While Kaine's outfit is clearly a case of working backward from "We want a woman to fight in lingerie" it is also a case of putting so much effort into justifying it and playing against type that it wraps around to being fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How did you not use Dark Lance on that boss until the mid point? :v:

Seriously though, I don't know how far behind the thread is but leave Dark Lance on one button and switch out the other as needed. Using the right magic on the right enemies helps to get through Nier's bland combat but unfortunately it's really easy to forget to switch magics because it's behind a couple menus. Luckily the game only really throws you into situations where you're fighting one or two enemies types so you just need to see what you're fighting at the start of the encounter and switch then.

Dark Lance is basically for everything that isn't really small and really fast. Dark Blast for basic work against basic, slower enemies. Dark Fist for physical resistant and slower enemies. Dark Phantasm for fast swarms. Gluttony for bullet hells with a single target. I don't think Wall ever saw much use because of the aforementioned magic switching menus.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd almost completely forgot about this level. Too bad Automata didn't do a Diablo style level, that would have been a lot of fun with its improved combat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I only wish all dads could react like that when their quasi-son is turned into a levitating magic skeleton wearing a rag.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fae as an avid follower of VGCW, WVGCW, EDBW, and BWA I would love to know what AI wrestling league you're watching. I didn't quite catch the name when you mentioned it.

Also RIP happiness, you were in a Yoko Taro game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

All done with route A!

I really like this game, you guys

Well don't worry, B through D will fix that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Um...yeah" was definitely my response to that too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

OK cool, I know Verizon is about to take all video streaming quality down a peg on their services and thought they were really going crazy.

Also why do I find myself asking if we are, in fact, the bad guys?

Jeez, Emil vaporizes one village by accident - a village that everyone hates anyways - and everyone dogpiles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

So, I guess this whole run is from Kainé's perspective? We're still controlling Nier but we're hearing what she hears instead of what he does. Now that we know the shades are people we get to have our noses rubbed in how much of a monster we're being killing them all, something Kainé knew all along but can't escape from because if she stops murdering the murder-monster takes over her body and does more murder.

That still doesn't explain why she's wearing lingerie though.

I don't remember if this ever gets explained in the game but, while it's safe to assume the whole design is a "I want a woman in my game who fights in lingerie, works backwards from that" thing, shades don't like light so Kaine is wearing as little as possible except for the arm and leg that she lost entirely. Those limbs are presumably all shade and would die in light.

Don't pay attention to how Tyrann just fought the party just fine in sunlight just now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Father Nier just wants to think the world still has some mystery to it, all right?

Also that Yoko Taro probably thinks its funny.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A man who must endlessly kill to reclaim what he loves more than anything but in the end falls to his own madness? What an impossible scenario that will never happen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the wolves were about where I started to roll my eyes a bit at the overly maudlin scenarios you learn about in the second game. I was still invested in the characters, and Tyrann was such a joy to listen to, and was fully on board to see where it was going but plots behind the main plot just got a bit more predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That doesn't even make sense as a pun. Maybe charocsma.