Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

NieR is the story of a Dad who would do anything to help his sick little girl get better. It's an action-adventure game with some RPG elements released in 2010 for PS3 and Xbox 360, developed by Cavia Inc., to lukewarm reviews, but has since become a cult classic. Unfortunately, this game did not do very well financially on launch and it became Cavia's swan song before the company went under. Until very recently, this was also considered director Yoko Taro's magnum opus; it has a phenominal soundtrack, the writing is superb and the cast is wonderful. The localization was also done by 8-4, who've done some of the best localizations in the industry; you may know from projects like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Their work on this game is also considered some of their best. The game itself isn't anything to write home about; it's a little clunky, tedious and Cavia itself was not a very good developer, which makes this one of those games that's better to experience in any way except actually playing it for yourself, which is why we're doing this LP.

This will be a mostly casual stream LP where Faerie Fortune, Artix and I will just go through the game at a mostly leisurely pace. We're not going for 100% completion because this game's sidequest design can accurately be described as "spiteful" and I don't hate myself that much. We'll show off as much as we can and we'll do our best to hit all of the game's endings, at the very least. This LP will be done with Uncut and Cut commentary; the Uncut versions will have us talk over pretty much everything, while Cut commentary won't have us talk over cutscenes and voiced dialogue. We're doing this as a series of streams as well, so we'll announce in this thread when we go live, usually at my Twitch account. You can also follow me, Fae or Artix on Twitter for live tweets about our content or other things that may have our attention.

Before we actually get started, let's talk about spoilers: Fae is going in blind and we would really appreciate keeping it that way as we go through, so no spoilers at all. This game's story is really well done and we want anyone who doesn't know how the story plays out to have an unspoiled experience. We'll post snippets of the data book, Grimoire NieR, when appropriate as well. No spoilers for the sequel, NieR: Automata either! We're not here for that game! While we're at it, let's not talk about Drakengard either. This game is a weird sequel of sorts and the connection between the two games actually factors big time into the backstory of this game, so we'll discuss that game when it's appropriate.

Session 01 - Prologue

Session 02 - Grimoire Weiss

Session 03 - Junk Heap

Session 04 - Facade

Session 05 - The Forest of Myth

Session 06 - The Letter

Session 07 - Return of Dad

Session 08 - The One After Fae Went to the ER

Session 09 - Endgame

Session 10 - Kainé's Story

Session 11 - Meet Tyrann

Session 12

Session 13

Session 14 - How it all Began

Session 15 - The Final Preparations

Finale - Existence

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

These are links to Clyp, where I've set the songs to listen-only. If you want the songs for yourself, you can grab them off of iTunes for $17 or so.

1. Snow in Summer
2. Hills of Rdiant Wind
3. The Incomplete Stone
4. Blu-bird
5. Cold Steel Coffin
6. Grandma
7. Song of the Ancients / Devola
8. The Wretched Automatons
9. City of Commerce
10. Song of the Ancients / Popola
11. The Prestigious Mask
12. Temple of Drifting Sands
13. Gods Bound by Rules
14. The Ultimate Weapon
15. Deep Crimson Foe
16. Dispossession / Piano Ver.
17. Dispossession / Strings Ver.
20. Yonah / Piano Ver.
23. Yonah / Pluck Ver. 2

1. The Dark Colossus Destroys All
2. Song of the Ancients / Hollow Dreams
3. Kainé / Salvation
4. Kainé / Escape
5. His Dream
6. This Dream
7. Repose
8. The Lost Forest
9. Song of the Ancients / Fate
14. Emil / Sacrifice

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 19, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

You may want to explicitly mention no Drakengard spoilers in the OP, then. You know how excited people here get.

Fair enough, I've added it in now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're gonna see how well I can handle updating this twice a week.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 8, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Uh, whoops, thanks for that! Fixed it!

Hunt11 posted:

He is also Sojiro in P5 and Rider in Fate/Zero.

Just between Papa NieR and Sojiro, Jamieson Price makes for really good Dad voices, though I think my favorite role of his is Malik Caesar from Tales of Graces.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Poil posted:

drat blabbering audio book. I don't suppose it's possible to read it? :v:

Don't worry, we'll become very acquainted with whatever's inside of Weiss soon enough.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh that reminds me, I meant to post music as the videos went live, but it completely slipped my mind! You can buy this game's OST off of iTunes, so I'm not going to link to downloadable versions of the music, so if you want the songs for yourself, please support the official release. Let me know if I've missed anything!

Disc 1
1. Snow in Summer
2. Hills of Rdiant Wind
3. The Incomplete Stone
4. Blu-bird
5. Cold Steel Coffin
7. Song of the Ancients / Devola
10. Song of the Ancients / Popola
15. Deep Crimson Foe

Disc 2
3. Kainé / Salvation
8. The Lost Forest

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

9. City of Commerce

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 19, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It was an incredibly short visit, but Yonah's the reason we went to Seafront in the first place. Dad saw that Yonah wasn't feeling great, which is why he went to Popola for medicine and she told him to get some Shaman Fish.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're gonna do a stream sometime within the hour at https://twitch.tv/chaosargate. We are ahead of the uploaded videos by a bit, so be aware. We're about to go to the mansion, I believe, so people coming in know about where we're at.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

8. The Wretched Automatons

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Double update today because episode 11 is really short and I couldn't figure out a good split point for episode 10.

Disc 1
6. Grandma
16. Dispossession / Piano Ver.

Disc 2
2. Song of the Ancients / Hollow Dreams

AlphaKretin posted:

I just about died when you finally noticed Dark Hand after the entire dungeon. It's really good for clearing out hordes of robots.

I'm, uh, really bad at remembering what spells I do and don't have! Part of that might be from how I pretty much just went through Automata with the Dark Blast equivalent and didn't actually bother looking into other options, but yeah expect more of that for at least the next two sessions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Related, one of my favorite alterations between versions is the scene where Nier agrees to go look for Jakob and Gideon's mother at the Junk Heap. Brother Nier goes along with it because he sees two kids with a situation similar to him and his sister and he idealistically and desperately wants there to be a happy ending for the two brothers, while Papa Nier does it out of a sense of obligation to make the kids feel better, not unlike a dad checking under the bed for monsters; he already knows what's waiting at the end, but it's just the fatherly thing to do.

Source, from TDI's LP's bonus content

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

11. The Prestigious Mask

RareAcumen posted:

It takes a village to raise a child.

Childcare is difficult, you know!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

12. Temple of Drifting Sands

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

13. Gods Bound by Rules

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

I know you guys (finally) mentioned the words, but have you been equipping them at all? It's not a big deal in the early game, but you can get pretty significant boosts to damage/magic/health/etc. from them, and they get ever more powerful as the game goes on. Also, you should try out Dark Phantasm sometime, especially when you are finding yourself a bit outnumbered.

I think I equipped some between sessions after this one? I'll give Dark Phantasm a shot eventually...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahaha whoever bought Fae's avatar deserves a cookie or something, that's great!

6. This Dream

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Disc 1
23. Yonah / Pluck Ver. 2
Disc 2
5. His Dream

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

7. Repose

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apologies for being late, I've lost track of my usual time zone while out of country.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh yeah that dream reminds me, right dream dream after this session ended, Artix and I somehow made dream dream dream dreamFae think dream she was dream having a stroke dream dream and I'm still dream dream dream dream upset it happened dream right after we stopdreamped recording dream dream.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

14. The Ultimate Weapon

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

1. The Dark Colossus Destroys All

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Disc 1
20. Yonah / Piano Ver.
Disc 2
4. Kainé / Escape
9. Song of the Ancients / Fate
14. Emil / Sacrifice
(note: I'm omitting a few songs because their titles are just a little spoilery and I'm going to err on the side of caution here.)

Also hi I'm totally not just uploading this at 11 PM because I forgot today was update day. This is the last episode we got done before I went on vacation for a few weeks and while I did get back about a week ago, we also have not had a chance to record more, so apologies for the brief intermission in episodes. If all goes well though, we should be good to go for a stream sometime this weekend!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also we're streaming soonish at the usual place! Come join us!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up, I might miss an update next week because we planned to record last weekend, but we didn't because things happened. Hopefully we're recording tomorrow and I can at least edit the next episode to cover for that, but no promises.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're streaming shortly! Come join us!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Can do! I'm still trying to get a handle on Audition, so I may have overdone it just a tiny bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hopefully this sounds better!