Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
There's an interview with Emi Evans where she says she was asked to write the NieR lyrics in made-up languages that sounded like real-world languages. Kainé's theme is meant to sound Gaelic, The Wretched Automatons is meant to sound English, Hills of Radiant Winds is vaguely Portuguese, and other tracks are inspired by French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese. (And Song of the Ancients is a mashup of multiple languages.) I think the idea is that they sound super familiar if you know the language in question, but yeah, the words don't actually mean anything. As for the mentioned French songstress who's been putting French vocal covers of several tracks up on youtube (I presume you were talking about Mioune?), she does write her own lyrics, so you're correct, they're not translations.

(You can read the interview here, but it's been a long time since I read it in full myself and I'm not 100% certain there aren't any spoilers in it, so you may want to hold off for now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
In almost any other game, "the shades were the real humans all along!!!!!!!!!" would have approximately the same emotional impact and resonance as loss.jpg.

But not in NieR.

Execution is everything.