Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Game dev is a decent goal, but you can do it self-taught. Just download Unity and have a go. If you like it, you will learn. There are online courses for the maths needed (Khan academy.) Unity has plenty of tutorials that will teach you the basics of development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

100 degrees Calcium posted:

For what it's worth, I've been diving in to Unity and having a fair amount of success. I wouldn't have made it as a self-taught developer, even in my current environment, if I didn't have the willingness to step into new things with nothing but a copy of Visual Studio and access to Google. It's only when I started peering into more technical stuff (working on writing my own shaders being the most immediate example) that my head starts to spin and I wonder if I skipped a fundamental step in my education.

You won't learn much about shaders in most CS courses, unless it's a dedicated game development degree, which I don't recommend. This is a thing you have to self-teach. Hit the online math courses. If you can't figure out math on your own, consider the budget option vs degree of hiring a math tutor for a few hours - a math graduate student looking to make some extra bucks.

Ixian posted:

Finally, don't go in to game development. I know a lot of current and former game developers and they are all burnt out wrecks. You'd think you'd be happier because hey, you love games, and do what you love, etc. except that isn't how modern game development works for most.

I know plenty of current game developers who are all pretty happy. Avoid AAA companies though, particularly of the type that make the same goddamn game over again every year. But they are a dying breed these days. And they probably require actual degrees because they are big and bloated and have HR departments that don't understand the concept of "self-taught."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

100 degrees Calcium posted:

There's a pretty big chance my bread-and-butter professional work will always be web development, or something similar, but pursuing more complicated work on my spare time makes me feel like I'm investing in myself in a meaningful way. The flip side is that when I see programming concepts that are alien to me, I kind of freak out and wonder if I've been coasting just a bit too long on the shallow end of the programming pool.

I think every programmer who isn't a complete hotshot feels this way. Studying new concepts helps. In your case, expanding your knowledge to more types of front and back end web development will stand you in good stead, and doesn't require you to take any kind of maths course like shader development would do. And there's a lot more jobs for good web devs than good shader writers.

• Locked thread