Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Wasn't really feeling the most recent season as much as previous ones. Didn't like the focus shifting away from Frank's character as a solo villain to including more Claire screen time. Plus, I think Kevin Spacey is by far the best actor on the show.

Still, looking forward to the new season. Gonna be a fun marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just finished...

I like the show ok and will probably watch next season but...

This show really peaked in season 2. The end of season 2 when it looks like Frank is caught dead to rights and he cunningly flips everything around and literally talks the President out of his own job as if he were his best friend, even though Frank is the one sticking the knife in his back, is top-tier television. It was perfectly executed and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Then we get season 3 and 4 where Frank spends all his time barely fighting off one scandal after another. Claire's screen time expands with even more annoying storylines. And Frank's character overall feels weaker and less cunning than in previous seasons.

Season 5 felt like more of the same from seasons 3 and 4 except ratcheted up to 11.

I feel like this show made two primary mistakes; it made Frank president, so he had nowhere to go but down, making it seem like he was always running around reacting to some crisis instead of being the cunning villain who was the one creating the crisis. And it took Claire's character in the wrong direction. Frank is at his best when he's the solo underdog, clawing his way up the ladder, free to monologue without having to share so much screen time with his wife. Claire is at her best when she was doing her subtle manipulation, power-behind-the-throne thing instead of hamfistedly trying to be Frank's rival and making Queen Cersei look competent.

I'll still probably watch next season. As someone else said the one bright spot going into next season is that we might get a full-on cutthroat Frank vs. Claire storyline where they pull no punches on each other. It would make Frank the lone underdog again and probably be more interesting than watching him as president getting repeatedly pummeled with scandal after scandal like a proto-Trump.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 1, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Herv posted:

Its still the same problem in my opinion. Watching Frank and Clair claw their way to the top was what hooked me. Watching them swat at flies for the next 30 episodes just isn't doing it.

Frank's the president, he could have kept on clawing on the world stage, there's so many interesting plots you could write as he strong arms and back stabs his allies and enemies on the sovereign state level.

There's so much poo poo Frank could stir up.

Yeah, I really like this idea, I think it would've worked a lot better than having Frank constantly being on the defensive when he became President from forces within his own country. The only problem with this idea is that America is already king poo poo on the world stage so he doesn't really have a lot upward clawing to do vs other countries. On the other hand Frank as president of a lovely little third world country, wheeling and dealing his country's way to the top of international influence and power hierarchy would've been a really fun alternative history story to watch. But even with that problem I still think this idea would've been better than what we ended up getting.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
You either die Breaking Bad or live long enough to see yourself become Dexter.

• Locked thread