Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the British show really good? Because I was really just bewildered by this season, and I'm not going to bother with the British one unless it's really sharp and interlocking and explosive in the ways I was hoping this one would be.

For me the most interesting bits, just on the edge of being stupid, were the 4th wall things. Little waves, winks, here and there. Such as Usher's cute little wave during the inauguration. Spacey devouring scenery whole.

Tom Yates also died, but not soon enough for it to be truly satisfying. I spent a heck of a lot of time just trying to figure out what she really liked about the guy and then he dies like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. I wonder if he didn't just see his obsolescence coming and try the book thing as a last ditch effort to be the center of Claire's attention, even if it risked his death.

Overall a huge weird mess that took real effort to make it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I warp my mind a bit, I can see the appeal for Frank of being a power broker--the power behind the power--of being a hidden, snake-in-the-grass manipulator. That's sort of what Davis is, or appears to be, some semi-independent spearhead character with Access. I just remember at the end of season 2, when he raps on the desk, and then season 3 onward was just about running into bloated frustration after frustration. I was all geared up for international intrigue, bending national rulers over his knee, and instead it was like he was just swimming in a bigger pond where all the fish are small. So, the show focused on how ineffective a tyrant he was. Season 5's last-minute, "I planned it all, Claire," ending was kind of eyerolling, and I don't feel like there are any uncovered cogs I'd see if I rewatched it. And I won't. It felt like a "God did it" bandage on top of an uneven season.

In another sense, a good story isn't about ascending scale after scale, a political show about a small town would have as much tension and be more grounded in reality, what with a realistically higher ceiling. Like, The Shield wasn't the best thing ever, but it did the frustrations of trying to attain political power and learning to be ruthless in the character of David Aceveda (name?).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

meechum was great, and so was Francis sitting at the painting they used to look at this season.

But it was great because it was a relationship that actually developed and didn't take over half the show and didn't make me bored to poo poo like Tom Yates.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuoProQuid posted:

Do you mean?

It is from Episode 2 after Remy tries to convince Frank to join him in the private sector.

Maybe he's going to do a double reverse petard hoist in season six and trick some CEOs, murder a couple CFOs, etc. when he doesn't get the private sector position he wants and then suddently become appointed Secretary of State, the position he wanted after all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the dog is also america, and the american dream

• Locked thread