Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm only on S5E4, but holy jesus christ, this is the best show :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ugh, gently caress OFF, Tom. Seriously, I really, REALLY don't care about anything he says. I get that it's part of Claire's story, and I have no issues with her story, but he and everything he says bugs me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Caros posted:

I have been straight up fast forwarding every time he is on screen because he annoys me that much.

I'd be cool with random scenes of him loving various White House staff in different rooms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

He's handsome as hell though. You can tell he's packing some serious gunnage under those dress shirts

Watch 'The Killing', he makes the show. There's a lot of 'NO MAYBE THE KILLER IS THIS PERSON! WAIT, MAYBE IT'S THIS PERSON!' but overall, it's not a bad show, especially Kinneman's Holder character. Tallest, skinniest, whitest black dude on the show.

gently caress, I'd love it if it was a 'Holder 2016' campaign they were running in this show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm almost done 5, but I can agree with this. When it looks like it's really bad, and people are scrambling, that's great tv. When Frank polishes his plot armour for the umpteenth time that season, well... That's less than compelling.

Hyperbole from my previous posts aside, I realized that while I binge the gently caress out of new episodes, I don't ever feel like rewatching any of this show at all. I would have loved for season 3 to have been a violent messy downfall of the Underwoods, so I hope that's what season 6 is.

That promo of the tattered upside down flag was, to me, slightly misleading; I feel like it tried to paint the picture of real war on American soil with the government in shambles. I actually had the feeling that nukes would have been involved. And while everything was upset during the election shenanigans, it then went right back to Frank and Doug, putting out fires here and there.

I'm an episode and a half away from the end, so I'm hoping that, like at the end of season 2, it points towards everything crashing down. I know I should probably watch the British original, and I will, but I'm also reminded of another show from overseas that didn't waste any time getting the plot going: Happy Valley.

Seriously, if you want to see a show not drag its heels, but instead ratchet up the tension and pacing, check it out. It's a police drama, not a political one, and I didn't even know where they were going to go with season 2, but it absolutely worked. They did more in those 12 episodes than most shows, HoC (US) included, do in twice as many.

Edit: I'll admit, Happy Valley does a thing I love (twice), when a plan is hatched by someone, it gets incredibly hosed up and out of control, and they keep trying to fix it with diminishing returns. It never fails to draw me in. Fargo (the movie) did this perfectly. I guess I'm really just tired of seeing Frank, once again, get away with it. The writing is leagues better, but it's starting to feel s little bit like Dexter, where no one on the show wants it to end, to the detriment of the plot.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 1, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm just a bit into the last episode of season 5, but the whole Frank being the leak revelation definitely helps towards him seemingly being one step ahead no matter what; it makes sense now how he was able to be that way.

That said, I am REALLY hoping for some crazy fallout in season 6. I would love it if they announced that S6 was the last.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just finished episode 5. Does the election plot ever end or is it the entire season? I was bored with it after the second episode, I don't know if I can watch one more episode of " Well Conway was about to win but now we're tied again".

You're almost at the end of it. I actually enjoyed, overall, the first half of the season more than the second.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

From my understanding, Frank doesn't want money itself, but he wants the freedom the private sector allows to be the "power behind the power" with Claire as President - simultaneously wielding influence as head of state with Claire and without governmental constraints with himself. Like how Tusk influenced Walker, except turned up to 11

Yeah, and I genuinely get that and didn't have a problem with this.

I guess it would have been nice if it had happened way earlier.

If I could recut the show, I'd leave seasons 1 and 2 alone, put 3 and 4 together as one 13-15 episode season, and cut that election poo poo down to maybe two episodes, get rid of many Tom scenes, and trim season 5 (which would now be season 4) down to about 6 episodes.

But I can't, so welp.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Martian Manfucker posted:

Am I supposed to know who this Ken guy Claire meets in New York is? Also am I supposed to know who this Tim guy who disappeared on a boat off-screen is?

I'm completely blanking on who these people are.

Tim was the guy Frank was mackin' on when he went to his old school that time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The only good thing Tom ever did was show Frank The Stanley Parable (which was one of my favorite scenes in the whole show to be fair). I have no idea why they kept him around for 3 seasons.

I think I forgot that scene.

Apparently, every season has Frank involved with a video game, but my memory fails me.

S1 was Call of Duty: Insert Subtitle Here
S2 Monument Valley?
S3 Stanley Parable?
S4 was Agario
S5 Some driving game on his exercise bike.

Do I have that correct? I don't actually remember him playing Monument Valley, but someone mentioned it was one of the games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Probably get rid of the Twenty-second Amendment and do a FDR. I thought they would do that by creating chaos and argue for a strong leader but I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this show any more. I don't understand at all either why anyone would want Claire as President either and how the democratic party isn't completely dead after having two presidents resigning in a row. The more I think about this show the stupider it gets, honestly the only show that I can think of that has become a caricature of itself in the same way is probably Dexter.

Sons Of Anarchy.

I'll give you that HoC has been doing stupid stuff, but I don't think it's Lumberjack Dexter or JESUS Sons Of Anarchy stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I will say, though, that for a show primarily about white guys in suits just talking, everything looks incredible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

You either die Breaking Bad or live long enough to see yourself become Dexter.

See also: Sons of Anarchy, slightly less so, but only because there was no lumberjack aspect.

Edit: because of these two shows, I understand hate-watching. In fact, the only thing that kept me going were the corresponding threads on SA, which are still some of my favourites.

That being said, I now have an incredibly low tolerance for tv bullshit, though HoC s5 didn't get that bad, to me.

That stair push was loving stupid, though

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 7, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Durant thing was so stupid on so many levels.

One of those levels is that no one seems to wonder about it at all. One reported suggested it was suspicious and was immediately shot down with 'oh down start that conspiracy theory nonsense'.

Can you imagine if the day before Comey's testimony, he went to the whitehouse, and while alone with Trump he accidentally fell down 6 stairs and fell into a coma?

Aaaaand when she wakes up... Then what? Frank will be in trouble. Again.

Trivia: the actress who plays Cathy Durant is married to the actor that played former president Walker. Also, she's British, which pops out every so often.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Doug is going to kill her.

From jail?

I have a feeling he's not going to get pardoned.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love it when he does it when it actively interrupts a bunch of people around him, because I try to imagine what that's like for the other actors. Not that it's tough, but I enjoy watching them pretend they don't hear him at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd be totally behind the 'oh wait, being in the private sector would help me MORE!' if his complaint about 'always having to put up with detractors and attempts to delegitimize me' made sense.

It doesn't make sense because he was the one leaking the poo poo to the press to begin with!

:psyduck:

If it had been someone else, fine... Frank gets tired of the bullshit, and finds a better way, and then goes for it. But... Frank has caused a lot of the bullshit himself, he admitted to it, so what the hell?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

They should have just carried on telling whatever story they had thought up.

I'm not saying your points aren't valid, but I thought they had completed writing way before Trump was elected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just realized that Tom Yates should have been played by Cary Elwes.

Or better yet, Elwes could have been that photographer from season 1. :stare:

• Locked thread