Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Trump got name checked last season, back when the world was sane and him running for office was still a joke.

I think it would be really cool if this was the last season and he gets his comeuppance at the end of it, but they don't announce it as such to give away the surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Herv posted:

I loved this show but the 2016 cycle pretty much made HoC look like non-fiction.

We are living through a more far fetched HoC as this point.

House of Cards was a lot more entertaining when it was speculative fiction. Now that we're living it, it's more unsettling than anything else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Season 5 got better at the end when actual things were happening. How much of this show has been dedicated to this one stupid election now? It started pretty early in S3 if I recall, then all of S4, and over half of S5 god drat just move onto something else already.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Am I supposed to know who this Ken guy Claire meets in New York is? Also am I supposed to know who this Tim guy who disappeared on a boat off-screen is?

I'm completely blanking on who these people are.

Tim was Frank's lover in college and the only other person in the world besides Claire he ever gave a poo poo about. He was mostly in that really good episode in S1 where Frank and college buddies get rip roaring drunk when he goes back to his college to give a speech.

Why he died on his way back to his home planet island this season is absolutely beyond me though. Maybe they're setting something up for next season?

aBagorn posted:

From my understanding, Frank doesn't want money itself, but he wants the freedom the private sector allows to be the "power behind the power" with Claire as President - simultaneously wielding influence as head of state with Claire and without governmental constraints with himself. Like how Tusk influenced Walker, except turned up to 11

I can understand this, but the way it's presented is so lame and puppetmaster-y. "Oh, all that poo poo I've been dealing with to keep my head above water for 3 seasons? That was my plan all along! Why didn't I tell Claire or anyone else before now? Well because, uh..."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blind Rasputin posted:

What I never understood throughout this entire season is why Francis or Claire or anyone else never thought to just bug that loving stairwell they all always secretly meet in.

Because they both wanted to use it, and to be sure it wasn't bugged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Durant thing was so stupid on so many levels.

One of those levels is that no one seems to wonder about it at all. One reported suggested it was suspicious and was immediately shot down with 'oh down start that conspiracy theory nonsense'.

Can you imagine if the day before Comey's testimony, he went to the whitehouse, and while alone with Trump he accidentally fell down 6 stairs and fell into a coma?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I liked the way they they handled Claire and the camera. When she first talks to us I get the impression she just doesn't like us being there. It would be interesting to have Claire not only talk to us less, but be actively hostile towards us as a way to contrast her from Franks monologues. I love Robin Wright, but there's no point putting her anyone at all in a monologuing contest with Spacey. Even he's over using it a bit this season. The best times are when he just gives us a sarcastic glance, or that time in S2 where he ignored us for a few episodes. "Did you think I had forgotten about you? Maybe you wished I had."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DaveKap posted:

It's also good and short.

If it's British television, I'm assuming it's also 5 seasons series long, but somehow all 5 seasons only adds up to 3 episodes in total. and a christmas special

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
At least Freddy had one hell of a mic drop. I'm a little side we never got it as a thread title:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > House of Cards: You a motha fucka Mister President!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Frank died when he was shot. This is all a fever dream, it won't be revealed until the last season.

• Locked thread