Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just started watching the last episode, and boyyyyyyyyyyy is this loving stupid. I guess the beginning of the season was alright and the middle wasn't awful, but it just disintegrated in the last three episodes or so.

I like the new lady though. Deputy undersecretary of the Treasury or whatever she is. She's got a bad origin story for her superpowers, but the performance is great.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I like them having someone who's more emotional around, without being insufferable like Tom.

Unfortunately, it did seem at the end like she had very thin motives. For awhile it seemed like she may have really wanted to genuinely help the Syrians, but then she let the chemical weapons attack happen so it could prop up Claire. I think she's being set up as another person who's going to be undyingly loyal to the Underwoods without good reason to be.

The show using the gas attack is a bit too real for my taste too. I know they pull from real events a lot, and the show gets dumb when they try to cook up the events/policies themselves, but that attack was like 2 months ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

She's intelligence community deep state who operates from a commerce bureaucracy position that gives her lots of access and career security with a low profile. She breaks cover/appears at the time she does because of the pseudo-coup, which the intelligence community is aware of mostly because of the military's intentional mishandling of the terrorist strike.

Going back through the thread, and I completely missed this when I watched that episode. I thought she was just supposed to be supernaturally well-connected through some vague international finance channels that didn't make any sense.

This makes me like her character even more. It sets up a cool dynamic for next season too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"I was the secret mastermind all along!" is always a terrible reveal, especially if you can't even run like a montage of the mastermind engineering critical plot points. It's narrative by fiat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I swear there was a moment in the early seasons where Frank had a real fiery rant about how the real power was in government, not the private sector. Maybe during the teachers' union stuff?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

King of Foolians posted:

She actually telegraphed it at the last scene in Season 4 when Frank breaks the fourth wall and she looks at him before they both look right at the camera and then the season ends.

They should have had her say something in that scene. Especially now that she did it in this season to not-as-powerful effect. I'm sure they considered it and had their reasons for not doing it, but it seems like a waste now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I swear someone said she was in a coma, but I can't remember exactly who said what now.

Eh, whatever, it's a soap opera at this point. I'm sure she's in a coma and will wake up with enough amnesia to be unable to rat on Frank.

• Locked thread