Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

King of Foolians posted:

One thing I think is also missing in the American version that the BBC did well was seeing how murdering Mattie (the BBC's Zoe-Charcter) messed with Francis mentally. Frank has pretty much zero remorse or guilt for her death and at this point adding it in would feel like it's shoehorned in. I thought they were going to start going in that direction when Frank was in the hospital after getting shot but nope.
My worry is that this show will keep going on season after season far past when it should end (it's pretty much there already). The whole point of House of Cards is that the ruthless drive for power is unsustainable and eventually it all comes crashing down.

I think they're shifting Francis Urquhart's remorse and guilt over to Claire. Claire seems to be legitimately shook by the depths of Frank's unending lust for more power. It feels like, to me, that she's come to realize that Frank's lust for power will never be fulfilled and he's reason she was forced to kill one of the few people she actually loved. I'm not opposed to an actual destructive collapse due to Claire and Frank fighting. Season 3 didn't go far enough with that and was terrible because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

logikv9 posted:

one of the most annoying things out of everything is that frank decides to pursue the loving private sector with his wife at the presidency. yes, i understand that it gives more freedom to do poo poo, it's more power presumably, etc. but this series has always been him seeking first the presidency, and then keeping it. it's a sudden 180 to go "well actually, we can double up" because gently caress

Not really. Frank knew that the private sector held power seeing as how he's dealt with Tusk and Feng in seasons past but the combination of going to Elysian Fields, dealing with Davis and ultimately bringing in Usher made him see how much political capital these outside actors truly have. The presidency is powerful but the lobbyists and special interest groups that rule Washington DC are completely unfettered and basically answer to no one.

But there's also Claire realizing that Frank's ambition and goals are untenable. He wanted to be Secretary of State but got snubbed, so he made a bid for a more powerful position and killed for it. He became VP and wasn't happy until he pushed Walker out of the picture by linking Feng to Raymond Tusk. The presidency is powerful but Frank wants an actual dictatorship; something that would allow him to bypass ways and means and he found it. Frank will never be satisfied and that's likely the catalyst that will cause everything to implode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Kawabata posted:

First episodes of season 5 seemed ok, then it just gets ridiculous. Oh and the amount of people close to Frank and Claire either dying, disappearing or getting hurt is now ridiculous. It's just stupid.

When did the good writers actually leave? Because last season was ok, but I don't know what the gently caress happened here.

The original show runner left last season to do other projects.

• Locked thread