Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally finished the season just now. I'm kinda sad they basically ruined what made the show good. The Frank/Claire power-couple was what drew me in so deeply since most shows just nosedive into conflict between the primary couple and, welp, here we go again. What Season 3 broke, Season 4 tried to fix, and now Season 5 is breaking again. Everything that made the first two seasons fun has just disappeared. With the knowledge that the only other Netflix stuff I watch is Marvel and Bojack, it feels like Netflix has trouble making any show feel as good as it originally was after its first or second season. It's like the same poo poo that made Blacklist worse off. People come for a specific, fantastic type of plot and then two seasons later all the best writers get tired and move on to other projects while the worst writers are just happy to get paid.

God there are so many things wrong with this season but still so many good things. I feel like the show has an identity crisis and isn't sure what it wants to be. It's like the rubberbandish writing that Silicon Valley had before it hit its stride this past couple seasons. If you watched the original British House of Cards, the little glances Claire gives indicates you were getting an idea for how this show would wrap up. Instead it just feels like it's going to draw out.

Aside from my personal power-couple problem, I think a larger issue is that at no point does it feel like anyone is winning in this show. It used to be you'd root for the Underwoods as sneaky, conniving villains, happy for every individual win they'd get, even if it meant digging them deeper into a worse situation. Now there are so few wins and the quality of those wins is so downplayed, it just feels like everyone comes out a loser in this whole show. Claire can still end up being the big winner in the end but unless she starts talking to the camera as much as Frank does, watch me give a poo poo.

Ugh I could write loving pages of stuff about how I hate/love this show but I don't even know if it's worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

When Claire talked to the camera for the first time this season, it was probably the happiest and angriest I was at this season. Happy because I had been waiting for her to finally do it since the end of last season, angry because it took this long and she made up an excuse about "not liking the attention" or something. Nope, gently caress that, you have to talk to the camera as much as Frank now, no excuses. Otherwise I can't consider you a proper equal in the storytelling of this show. At least the next season might finally fix that but... ugh... when you go back to what it is I like about this show I really don't think I can do anything but obligatory hate-watch in a stockholm syndrome way.

So when one of my close friends told me tonight she couldn't wait to watch the rest of the show after telling me she had only watched up to the end of Season 2, I felt really bad that she didn't want me to spoil a single thing about it to her.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

The British version is very different in tone and content. They're barely related at this point.
It's also good and short.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

If it's British television, I'm assuming it's also 5 seasons series long, but somehow all 5 seasons only adds up to 3 episodes in total. and a christmas special
It's 3 series, 4 1-hour episodes each. Condensed and good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Just started watching the last episode, and boyyyyyyyyyyy is this loving stupid. I guess the beginning of the season was alright and the middle wasn't awful, but it just disintegrated in the last three episodes or so.

I like the new lady though. Deputy undersecretary of the Treasury or whatever she is. She's got a bad origin story for her superpowers, but the performance is great.
I swear to God I better hear a proper story about the show running out of budget and time and that's why the last episode was so poorly executed. As for Deputy whatever her name is, I do like how odd she is but it honestly got too grating after a bit. Oh well, it does a good job of making her stand out.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It took 3 seasons to wrap up a single election... the good writers left a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kawabata posted:

Because last season was ok, but I don't know what the gently caress happened here.
Yeah the last half of Season 4 was getting the plot back on track and why I held out hope that Season 5 would be a proper return to form. Then Frank yelled at Claire and they didn't hash it out before the episode ended and I knew it wasn't gonna end well. God I really can't get over how much of a rookie move it is to turn a show about a power couple into a "he yelled at her" bullshit contest.

• Locked thread