Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hello BWM fam,

Just a reminder to limit the self-posts please.

Hello, and welcome to the Bad With Money Thread 2.0!

(The previous thread can be found here)

This thread is BFC's home for poking fun at the wide world of Bad With Money (BWM): six figure earners who live paycheck to paycheck, poetry majors with $120K in student loan debt, Silicon Valley venture capital flops, and everything in between. Well...almost everything. Having solicited feedback from the previous thread, I heard from over two dozen posters about what they'd like this thread to be. It is not my intention to squelch this thread under the weight of a thousand complex rules, but I think providing some basic guidelines offers clarity on how I will moderate this thread.

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
  • Talking about yourself
    BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

• Getting the last word
    Disagreements are a natural part of this thread. The boundaries of BWM/GWM make for some pretty interesting discussion! There are many ways a disagreement can end, but one of everyone's least favorite is when someone tries to unilaterally end the discussion while also claiming the last word. For example, "I'm done with this derail, but [three more reasons why my opponent sucks and is dumb]" is lame as hell. Don't be that person! If you're done with a line of discussion, just drop it. We're all adults here.

• Getting mean
    Similarly, there is ample room to disagree without personally insulting your sparring partner. When disagreements turn to insults, the thread turns into an unpleasant mess for everyone else. If you feel like spitting some venom at someone, take a couple deep breaths first.

• Complaining about derails without adding content
    Derails thrive in a vacuum. Sometimes the thread gets stuck in a derail that most of the posters don't care about. If you see a derail that you don't like, don't just yell at people to shut up. Try steering the conversation in a new direction by posting a new BWM example or responding to a different, more on-topic comment from upthread. If you post new content, you are totally justified in asking people to knock it off and pay attention to your shiny new post.

The one exception to this is our thread mascot and forum hero, the derail bird. Please always feel welcome to post the derail bird at people who are badly derailing the thread. See the end of this OP for your derail bird starter kit. As for those (hopefully rare) situations where people are posting the derail bird at you? That means it's time to drop it or move the conversation elsewhere.

Other guidelines
  • I received some interesting comments about derails. Generally, it seems like people agree that derails are often good or interesting, or at least drive the thread forward when things are slow. However, derails become a problem when they (a) become too long and/or (b) turn rancorous. If the former occurs, the conversation should definitely keep going! But at that point the BWM thread is not the best home for it. Take it to another established thread, or better yet, start your own new thread here in BFC!

• On a related note, I received a few comments on both sides of the "take it to D&D" issue. Some posters feel that deep discussions about the politics and social norms surrounding money are better left in D&D. Others disagree; as one poster wrote to me, there's value in "admit[ting] that money is political." I tend to share the view of this latter group. Even as satisfying and unifying a hate-read as "If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You're Doing Something Wrong" implicates larger societal and political issues. HOWEVA: as noted above, discussions of this type should move to a different thread (if they get too long) or take a break (if people have moved from discussing to yelling).

Another way of putting this one is that business, finance, and career related D&D stuff is absolutely welcome in BFC (famous last words :suicide:), but the proper home for it usually won't be this thread.

• If you're sharing some of that purestrain Reddit BWM, please try to both copy/paste the Reddit OP and include a link. This helps other posters engage more with your thread, as we can go pull followup comments from the Reddit link and don't have to worry about the OP deleting their post in a fit of shame.

• Please no internet detective stuff.

• Sometimes the BWM comes from elsewhere on SA. You can definitely share those posts here in the BWM thread. Don't go poo poo up other threads, though, and if it gets too helldumpy I'll put the kibosh on it.

• Remember that this thread is most enjoyable when it's punching up. It's frequently enjoyable when it's punching sideways or down too! It's depressing when it's punching the mentally ill and addicted. Let's leave this last category alone.

• Please feel free to report things! Before I became a mod, I thought reports were only for stuff that deserved a probation. Perhaps this is the case in other forums with heavier report loads, but BFC is a pretty easy forum to mod. It is totally OK to report a post for any number of reasons, e.g. "funny possible thread title", "potential for this derail to get out of hand", etc. Just make sure you include a note about why you're reporting it.

The Derail Bird Resource Center

http://i.imgur.com/g68X651.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/f8bq31k.gifv

Old thread titles:
My main man I've got three words for you: time-share horse https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&pagenumber=323&perpage=40#post481271507
cleaning my guns with essential oils https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=345#post481779049
100% of our AR-15s beat their 5-year Lipper average https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=351#post481989645
saw the word Horse today https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=367#post482543597
100k bridesmaids dresses = mass murder/suicide.
if IRA is so effective then why aren't everybody rich?
holy loving poo poo only paid in crypto :gonk:
In Des Moines chat, I
420 co-sign an auto loan erryday (page 420)
Should I keep trying to get a job or get a truck?
My parents have a Money Guy that I can work with, if that helps
there was some kind of disagreement in this loving supply chain
Asking for a friend, what could nipple lumps be?
Gourd With Money 2018: We'll make the loan payments using the money from the loan
#BatWithMoney: 40% Off: Animal Reiki Practitioner Certification
#BatWithMoney: Someday robots will be able to buy horses they can't afford.
#BatWithMoney: My only option I had was to pursue a YouTube career.
I pay $250 in BTC every 3 months to mod in BFC
Mal avec de l'argent 2018: Le petit mortgage

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's an It Came From Reddit that made me break out into a cold sweat:

Unable to match after med school, 260k in debt

a dead man posted:

I graduated from a medical school in the Caribbean last year, and was unable to match into a residency. As you might know, you are unable to practice medicine if you can't get into a residency. So my degree is completely useless. That's all my fault

Now the finance part. The principal amount of my loan is nearly $260k with 6.25% interest. I haven't built up the courage to calculate exactly what the interest will be. But I can estimate that it'll be paying more than $550-600k throughout the lifetime of the loan.

I'm waiting tables right now to put food on my table (well, center console, since I'm living out of my car) and I have a 5 year gap on my resume due to medical school. So realistically speaking, I won't be making more than $20 an hour for the next few years.

My loan payments are deferred until this August.

I obviously can't come close to making the payments without a doctor's salary. Do I move out of the country? Can I join the military? I'm pretty sure I can't file for bankruptcy. I have no assets besides my car, my dog, and a gun, total value of maybe $2000 (dog isn't for sale). What happens now?

Over a quarter million dollars on a degree he can't use. Serious question, is there anything he can do besides, like, fake his own death?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

More importantly how terrible do you have to be to not get a match with any program? And yes I know the stigma of Caribbean grads is those who got rejected in the states

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Virtue posted:

More importantly how terrible do you have to be to not get a match with any program? And yes I know the stigma of Caribbean grads is those who got rejected in the states

I don't know much about med school - is it common to not match? Does he get a second chance?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't know much about med school - is it common to not match? Does he get a second chance?
There are no residencies in the Caribbean, when you school in one you have to match to residences in other countries as International Medical Graduates (IMGs), only a small number of slots are reserved for these people (like 5-10%). So if you're Canadian and got rejected by Canadian med schools and went to a Caribbean med school because you were fated to be a doctor then you have to be really loving awesome with amazing references to get one of the few slots allocated to IMGs. Almost all Canadian med students match to a residency domestically; many Canadians who trained in the Caribbean do not. This is a case of good money chasing bad where people don't know when to give up and move on.

And even if you are a Canadian who trained in the Caribbean who matched in the UK or something you will face many expensive and trying challenges trying to move your practice back to your home country. Should've been a nurse and made bank with overtime domestically.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 2, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Edit: Ignore this post. Didn't realize the guy was from Canada

Virtue fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 2, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Where the gently caress is the rule about Hawaiian Shirt Fridays

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where the gently caress is the rule about Hawaiian Shirt Fridays

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Surely the guy with the medical degree from the University of American Samoa (go Landcrabs!) can get a job as a researcher or something.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why aren't there any Caribbean residencies? Don't they have hospitals?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Because their entire industry is built around fleecing Americans who didn't get into med school in the US.

e: From 2013-2014: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.723627898b49

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's not what these schools are for and you can't practice in the US or Canada without training there. According to this article from February, 94% of US med school graduates match while 54% of Caribbean med school graduates match. They're everything bad about those for-profit technical schools times ten: they take students American schools reject, charge them out the rear end, and dump them with a degree they can't use.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's not what these schools are for and you can't practice in the US or Canada without training there. According to this article from February, 94% of US med school graduates match while 54% of Caribbean med school graduates match. They're everything bad about those for-profit technical schools times ten: they take students American schools reject, charge them out the rear end, and dump them with a degree they can't use.

xsf421 posted:

Because their entire industry is built around fleecing Americans who didn't get into med school in the US.

e: From 2013-2014: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.723627898b49

Thanks to you both! What do Caribbean locals who want to be local doctors do though?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thanks to you both! What do Caribbean locals who want to be local doctors do though?

Cuba has free medical schools that will gladly teach motivated poor people from around the Caribbean and send them back to their home towns ready to be a family doctor. These schools are entirely to scam dumb Americans.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad there's a new thread because the last one broke Amazon's brain

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm legitimately surprised the number is as high as 54% and honestly for terrible life decisions you could do worse than a coin flip.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I dated a girl who did the Caribbean but for nursing (lol how bad does that transcript have to be) but I guess nurses are needed so badly that she got a job here in LA at a real hospital in West Hollywood.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Soma Water is bad with money. linking to the comments because the guys site is down due to high load
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/68lkhq/soma_water_filters_are_worthless_how_i_used_r_to/

tldr: guy does a blinded test and shows Soma Waters are doing poo poo all. Tursn out they're astroturfing the poo poo out of amazon reviews:
http://fakespot.com/product/soma-sustainable-pitcher-and-plant-based-water-filter

quote:

Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

$30 for a water bottle, lol.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello thread I'm going to use this opportunity to repost my favorite reddit thread of all time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3l77wy/ny_got_a_job_at_a_pizzeria_only_paid_in_gift/

"[NY posted:

Got a job at a pizzeria, only paid in gift certificates for the pizzeria. Is this legal?"]
I just turned 18 and am working full time in a small pizzeria (just a storefront with pickup to go and delivery.) I am also going to night school part time. I am all on my own and I moved into my apartment and started this job at the beginning of September. I started the job on September 1st. I was supposed to be paid on the 15th for 2 weeks of work (September 1-14). In that time period I worked 96 hours. Yesterday instead of a paycheck my boss gave me gift certificates for the pizzeria instead. He says he can't afford to pay me money and I must have misunderstood when he hired me because he made it clear I would be paid in gift certificates instead of money. He never said anything like that to me. The pizzeria is independently owned so I have no one else to go to about this. I complained to him but he said that it's all legal because he paid me the full amount I would have gotten in money except with gift certificates and that if I keep complaining he will fire me and void the certificates. He also said he could have given me less because I am under 21 and the law lets him pay young people less. All the other people who work there are family of his and he pays them money. Is it legal that he is doing this? I never would have taken the job if I knew I wouldn't be paid in money. I need money to pay for my rent, my books for school and for winter clothes because I only have dresses and I can't just survive eating pizza and nothing else.

And another of my favorites:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post466191293

HORSE TIME SHARE

"My [24F posted:

just had to stand up financially to my [30F] sister and my [56F] mom."]
I am feeling like such a jerk at this moment in time and having mixed emotions on whether I made the right or selfish decision. I apologize if this is a bit scattered, this just happened within the last hour.

My mom, sister and I went in on a horse together 1.5 years ago. We thought it would be a great way to bond with one and other as well as pursue a hobby. We ended up buying a horse that was more or less like a rescue situation, but we didn't know the depth of what we were getting into until later on into our ownership.

The horse will not train well under saddle (which was the sole purpose of us purchasing) , ended up having many health issues that were not prevalent during the vet check, and he destroys the paddock in various ways throughout the week which means we either a) pay for a fix or b) pay for the supplies and fix it ourselves.

I am an avid animal lover, however I am 24 years old trying to get on my own two feet. My mom feels similarly to me and believes we should sell the horse. I would never sell him to the first buyer and be done with it- I would do research on who was purchasing him and make sure we had a buy-back contract so if they felt like he was too much or they weren't interested we would take him back.

My sister and I sat down 6 months ago and had a discussion. We agreed that within 5 months if she didn't want to sell that she could take on my financial part in it- because it is draining my wallet. I am basically shoveling out 300/month (which may not seem like a lot, but to me it is a big chunk of my budget) that could go into my savings.

Fast forward to tonight, I broke the news that I would no longer be financially supportive of this decision as prior discussions and agreements were in place. I have even told my mom that my share of the horse when/if he is sold can go directly into her pocket. That's a minimum of $2500 which the potential of more. My mom and sister are so mad at me right now they wont even talk to me. My sister called me selfish, my mom feels slighted and I feel like finally standing up for myself financially has put me in a really bad place with the two of them.

My sister shops. A lot. She is constantly coming home with designer handbags, boots, coats, and at least 3 times a week there is a box on our doorstep with something new she has purchased online. I don't know the dollar amount of how much she spends on her personal shopping, but it's completely obvious that it surpasses my percentage of the horse, and more.

My mom doesn't make a lot of money, nor do I. Even with a diploma and 'career' I am having a difficult time balancing my budget. I am trying to make the right steps in restarting my savings (which the horse has completely depleted.) My sister has ridden horses for many years, so she is comfortable and safe riding this unpredictable horse, whereas my mom and I can't. We have both been bucked off numerous times, he has even tried to trample me in the paddock twice.

So in my mind my sister was given the opportunity to sell him, make some money, or figure out someone that could maybe lease him to cover my expenses. She had 5 months to figure this out, but she has procrastinated and I just can't afford to fund her hobby anymore. My sister can afford to pursue this hobby comfortably, but she is pointing her finger at me saying it's my fault that my mom has to pay my share when in reality she could afford it and not burden my already financially riddled mom.

I feel like financially I made the right decision, but I could be wrong. I just need some non-bias feedback or opinions on this matter. I am feeling so horrible and I just don't know where to go from here.

tl;dr: I backed out of a faulty investment, gave 5 months notice for preparation and plan making, and nothing was done. I stood up for myself and put my foot down and now I feel like the worlds biggest rear end in a top hat.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On that note, let me post three of the four best BWM-related SA threads of all time.

4. Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news, wherein a dumbass teenager hotfoots it to his local Nissan dealership and signs a contract he neither read nor understands and that he trusted the dealer to explain to him.

3. Decreasing credit lines, increasing interest rates, and bankruptcy., wherein a dumbass alcoholic college student explains why bankruptcy is the most appropriate course of action and why won't you mean goons stop telling me I'm a drunk?

2. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's first thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

1. The Zaurg story: you really are revolting (zaurg's second thread). It was such a "goon in a well" scenario come to life that the mods took pity on the readership and gassed it. If you don't hate humanity enough after reading his first thread, read this one over another weekend. Make sure to put all weapons out of reach beforehand. Those with high blood pressure should not read this thread.

Honourable mention: The Cornholio Thraed, wherein a BWM goon sees the light and makes a full conversion to GWM status and forum legend.

edit: Thanks to Scudworth for linking me to the missing zaurg threads. Also, I didn't put Slow Motion in here because I bailed out of reading that one after 10 pages or so and TBH have no idea what went down.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 3, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Praise be to the promiscuous porcine woman for putting together the new thread rules. Also for introducing me to this.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some 2013 history and we have forsaken it.

Oh god, no!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

On that note, let me post three of the four best BWM-related SA threads of all time.

4. Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news, wherein a dumbass teenager hotfoots it to his local Nissan dealership and signs a contract he neither read nor understands and that he trusted the dealer to explain to him.

3. Decreasing credit lines, increasing interest rates, and bankruptcy., wherein a dumbass alcoholic college student explains why bankruptcy is the most appropriate course of action and why won't you mean goons stop telling me I'm a drunk?

2. Can't find a link, but it's zaurg's first thread.

1. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's second and ultimately fatal thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

Honourable mention: The Cornholio Thraed, wherein a BWM goon sees the light and makes a full conversion to GWM status and forum legend.

I haven't read the "Scammed by dealership" thread in forever! All of these are fantastic.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I don't know if I can link to it without an upgrade, but if we're memorizing peak BWM on the first page of the new thread, Slow Motion deserves a mention.

E: Like a Train Wreck in Slow Motion (AKA tripping balls at the opera)
(Thanks Nail Rat)

antiga fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 2, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I remember reworking the text scroll from the Butcher quest-giver in Diablo to fit the "scammed by the dealership" complaint. Sadly, the image from the original thread has been lost to time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A coworker was bragging to me about how he'd just been in the Caribbean, how beautiful it was down there, etc. Then he mentioned that he was there to visit his daughter in vet school...

I'd heard that there were reject med schools down there, but vet schools?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68swpl/just_leased_a_cpo_15_lexus_gs350_two_months_ago/

quote:

So when me and my ex split I had to trade in her car which I co-signed on. Negative equity was like 9k.. and I didn't have the cash available (tax season) so I traded my paid off '14 Charger as well to absorb the hit.

I don't know why but I leased a CPO '15 Lexus. I drove all the cars on the lot and wasn't in love with any. I was there for almost 7 hours after work. I enjoyed the idea of driving a luxury car because of my occupation where it fits the "image" but hated how the Lexus felt. Anyways, I pay 460/mo for 36 months on this Lexus.

I want out of it. It's a nice car, but I miss my HEMI in my Charger. I miss the head space.. I miss the way it felt driving it. This Lexus feels just.. not right? I drive 20 miles to work every day and all around town and haven't gotten use to it. When I first drove my Charger it fit like a glove.

I have enough income and above avg. credit to finance a new '17 Charger. Only downside is I'll roll approx. 12k negative equity from my Lexus into the note. So instead of financing a 51k it'll be around 61k. I can afford the payment, which is close to 1k/mo.

My question is this.. lets say I do trade in my lease and roll the negative equity into a new finance.. does it make sense to buy a less expensive car (lets say the R/T instead for around 35k) or should I get a more expensive car (SRT) because it will depreciate less quickly and hold its value longer (but I'm paying for it)

I would rather pay more for what I want than pay less for what I hate, especially if I can afford it. Just want to some input or advice based on past experience?

Dumbass impulsively leases an expensive Lexus that he doesn't like and now his grand plan to get out of it is to roll it into a $61k @ 7% loan on a Charger, for which he'll be paying ~$1200/month. Cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Edit: Beaten ^^^^^^^^^

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have been reviewing that Cornholio thread and now this it just literally makes me want to grab people by the shoulders and shake them while I scream "CARS!" in their face, over and over again.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you're going to pay that much for a Charger, why not just go ahead and get a Challenger?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A coworker was bragging to me about how he'd just been in the Caribbean, how beautiful it was down there, etc. Then he mentioned that he was there to visit his daughter in vet school...

I'd heard that there were reject med schools down there, but vet schools?

Yup. Slightly better situation than med school in that you don't need to match afterward in order to use your very expensive degree (internships/residencies are not required for veterinarians unless you want to be a specialist). Still pretty BWM though--on average, debt loads are much higher coming out of the Caribbean (though this map shows that cost of attendance everywhere is incredibly high for a profession where starting salaries are about $65k), and there is definitely a stigma about the students being not as good to begin with, and the schools being less than amazing as well.

Numbers for vet school in general: Average student debt is roughly $150K, $170K if you only look at those graduating with debt (ie exclude those fortunates who don't have any), and for the Caribbean, probably 1.5-2X that, but it's very difficult to get the Caribbean data other than scattered anecdotes about people screwed by their $400K debt loads.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weatherman posted:

1. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's second and ultimately fatal thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

The totally legit goon-run BoxMystery is also a classic BWM thread.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Weatherman posted:

Where's Slow Motion's thread? :colbert:

edit: I'm beaten, but at least I can answer my own question. Like a Train Wreck in Slow Motion (AKA tripping balls at the opera)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 2, 2017

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m Renting a Dog?

quote:

After her family’s shiba inu died of cancer, Dawn Sabins decided to surprise her 7-year-old son with a new puppy. In March 2015, she dropped into a San Diego-area pet store looking for an English bulldog. She walked out with a golden retriever.

That wasn’t so strange, even if $2,400 was more than she’d intended to spend. (There’s a reason pet stores put puppies in the window.) The odd part came a few weeks later, when she and her husband were going over their credit reports and saw a $5,800 charge from a company they’d never heard of.

quote:

The Sabins had bought their new dog, Tucker, with financing offered at the pet store through a company called Wags Lending, which assigned the contract to an Oceanside, California-based firm that collects on consumer debt.

quote:

“I asked them: ‘How in the heck can I owe $5,800 when I bought the dog for $2,400?’ They told me, ‘You’re not financing the dog, you’re leasing.’ ‘You mean to tell me I’m renting a dog?’ And they were like, ‘Yeah.’ ”

Without quite realizing it, the Sabins had agreed to make 34 monthly lease payments of $165.06, after which they had the right to buy the dog for about two months’ rent. Miss a payment, and the lender could take back the dog. If Tucker ran away or chased the proverbial fire truck all the way to doggy heaven, the Sabins would be on the hook for an early repayment charge. If they saw the lease through to the end, they would have paid the equivalent of more than 70 percent in annualized interest—nearly twice what most credit card lenders charge.

quote:

One cat lover described buying a Bengal kitten from a breeder in Jacksonville, Florida, at a sticker price of $1,700—then learning they were on the hook for 32 monthly payments of $129, or about $4,100. “They explained to me that not only was this not a loan but a lease in which I would either have to continue making these payments or return the animal,” the customer wrote in a November 2015 complaint. “Also this cat is ruining my credit score.”

quote:

Wunderlich dreamed up Wags Lending in 2013, then used the pet-leasing business to launch an improbable collection of financing vehicles—writing leases against furniture, wedding dresses, hearing aids, and custom auto rims.... In another idea that never reached the market, he explored lease financing for funerals.

“We like niches where we’re dealing with emotional borrowers,” Wunderlich said.

(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-01/i-m-renting-a-dog)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Also this cat is ruining my credit score.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Holy poo poo. Everything about that is the worst. Those selected passages are just the tip of the iceberg.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do any of you guys remember the thread where a guy bought a Toyota FJ for some ungodly sum?

That was my favorite dealership story. Good times.

And didn't Wags Lending just go out of business? The only thing that would've made that business model more evil would be a provision explicitly offering no guarantee the dog wouldn't be put down at the end of the lease or upon default. Preferably in bold print and highlighted on each month's statement. Really motivate the borrower to pay.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 2, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Old and also RIP Wags Lending: https://www.inforuptcy.com/filings/nvbke_362954-3-17-bk-50480-wags-lending-llc

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Keep in mind these mystery boxes cost $30:

quote:

Yea I got completely ripped off as well. Here is the entirety of my box:

1 set of vampire teeth, 1 egg of silly putty and 1 pack of 5 chopsticks/helpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
If you are falling for this in 2017 you are bad with life.

quote:

I'm seeking information on how to go about seeking legal actions. My wife saw a craigslist ads for a 2008 Toyota RAV 4 for 2,000 dollars. It was to good to be true. Long story short, they told my wife a story about how her husband died and she was trying to get rid of the vehicle. She said she lived in Montana. she told us she was using Amazon to sell her car. Instructions were sent to purchase amazon gift cards in order to purchase the vehicle. A few days later the lady emailed my wife saying she would need another 1000 dollars as insurance deposit. And that the car would be shipped Monday. We even received what we thought were order confirmations from Amazon but when we called amazon to confirm all this they had no record. They also mentioned they had been receiving phone calls about the same situation. They also said there was nothing they can do about getting our money back. Please reddit if you could steer me in the right direction. If you need any more info don't hesitate to ask. Thanks guys.
P.s. I live in Glendale AZ