Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BloodBag posted:

How is being beholden to so many different people from whom you rent your entire lifestyle even remotely considered 'rugged individualism'? Last I checked, that meant not owning a lot, but what you have is yours and you know how to fix or care for it. I'm not arguing with you, but with the dolt they wrote about.

He doesn't have a lot of ~assets~ weighing him down, he's free to just drift on out of town on his horse and let all the rest of the stuff get repossessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of people totally buck against the Working World in their mid-20s. As the reality of post-college life sets in, they have a breakdown and quit their jobs for a year or two, generally go somewhere in Asia for a few months, and then come back without missing a beat.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of people totally buck against the Working World in their mid-20s. As the reality of post-college life sets in, they have a breakdown and quit their jobs for a year or two, generally go somewhere in Asia for a few months, and then come back without missing a beat.

Not that I doubt this happens or anything but I don't think there's terribly many workers in their mid-20's who can afford to leave work for two years and travel internationally anymore.

I wonder if there's any actual statistics on this since the whole "quit work and backpack across europe" thing seems to be a common story trope but I've never met anyone who actually did it (let alone could afford to)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
poo poo really? I was basing that off of lots of people I know who did it, not a trope. That was in 2011 though (I'm Old)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Plenty of young people can afford to do that - the trick is asking your parents for the money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

poo poo really? I was basing that off of lots of people I know who did it, not a trope. That was in 2011 though (I'm Old)

Most of my friends are poors and my coworkers are techbros who don't really care about that sort of thing so I'm probably getting a skewed sample here :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Plenty of young people can afford to do that - the trick is asking your parents for the money.

Yeah this too

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Practically anyone can get a job teaching English abroad. It's really popular with recent college grads.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Leasing animals is the single most stupid thing I've heard of.

This seems to be terrible. Lease a horse and be responsible for everything.
http://www.equusite.com/articles/basics/basicsLeasing.shtml

quote:

In the full lease situation, the lessee usually pays for all of the horse's boarding costs in addition to routine farrier and veterinary care in return for being able to use the horse whenever you'd like.

However I've found a much better lease deal which is probably more like rent in the US.
https://www.horsetrekking.co.nz/leasing

quote:

Leasing instead of owning a horse is a very affordable option.
From just $50 per week including full grazing, look at leasing before buying a horse.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm one of those people that took a year off. I did it lifting myself up by my bootstraps by just plain hard work and gumption. I attribute it all to how amazing I am and how much of a ayn randian superhero. ME ME ME.

Just kidding, my parents paid for it(and my education).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

monster on a stick posted:

I was going to suggest a box for the official animal of the BWM thread but http://www.ahorsebox.com/

Fake edit: oh so many horse boxes https://boxes.hellosubscription.com/subscriptions/equestrian-subscription-boxes/

Jesus gently caress https://boxes.hellosubscription.com/subscription-box/period-club/

What is wrong with this world.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

"Getting my period is fun and all, but could it be more expensive?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
AMD's stock is taking a beating today (down 25% after earnings announcement) and there's a whole subreddit full of AMD stock owners. It's a collection of :derp: and :smug:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/

People who play PC games who think they've got the savvy and smarts to time the markets. Some people who say the whole stock game is rigged, and all those idiot investors don't know what's coming.

Manipulation and the way of the market. Sheer proof. Let's get there self.AMD_Stock

submitted 3 hours ago by frankreddit5
31 commentsshare

quote:

I just want to tell you folks the manipulation of this market. Perhaps I'm venting because I, too, am down a large sum today. But I've seen this time and time again and I've SOLD, taken the loss, and then regretted it months later.
Let me just tell you last earnings report for Amazon, the stock fell about 7% to $810s I believe it was, (8 10ish), and I recall people saying it was a joke and going back to $600s. Look at it now - it's $950.
Same thing happened with Tesla a few weeks ago. We saw a brief market selloff and Tesla dropped to $250. Now? It's $317.
Months ago I was holding FCAU (Chrysler) when the EPA scandal came out. The stock fell 20% that day and I held tight. Six weeks later it was back exactly where it was before the drop.
How about semiconductors? NVDA themselves had the President sell over 200k in shares back when they were around $13 a share lol. Doesn't mean NVDA was going down to $5's.
This is the way of the market.
AMD met guidance. AMD met earnings. They are on track to have a solid year. This is a complete overreaction, stop losses being triggered, and MM's running it lower, I personally think.
Do not give in to this manipulation. It completely sucks, I know. Today has been a very depressing day with my significant other telling me how depressed I seemed today. But it happens. This is the market. I recall someone told me "one day you're sitting in a jacuzzi sipping pina coladas and the next day you're on the floor taking gut punches." That's pretty much what it is. Remember why you bought in. Always remember that. Hold tight. It might get bumpy, but Lisa knows how to run this company.

:qq: ITS BECAUSE THE BIG PLAYERS IN THE MARKET ARE CHEATING :qq:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Features: Cancel Online

I agree website, that is the most important feature and thus needed to be listed first.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I've heard people being excited about AMD stock but I have no idea why. Aren't they still just making 2nd tier processors? Why is that so exciting?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

potatoducks posted:

I've heard people being excited about AMD stock but I have no idea why. Aren't they still just making 2nd tier processors? Why is that so exciting?

People expect they will break through some day and become #1. The fact is their design process is highly automated compared to Intel hand crafting and optimising their designs. It keeps their design cost down but they are mostly lagging Intel because of that. AMDs stock price has taken regular beatings for years mostly due to high debt levels. So nothing about AMD is exciting but, uh, video game nerds.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I feel like I remember people talking about them coming out with some new chip that was supposed to blow everyone's tits off but I could be misremembering. Maybe if we have any computer nerds itt they can help?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Noctone posted:

I feel like I remember people talking about them coming out with some new chip that was supposed to blow everyone's tits off but I could be misremembering. Maybe if we have any computer nerds itt they can help?

The ryzen processor, which set a world record benchmark. It's supposed to compete with the i7 in a way the a12 or fx never could

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

AA is for Quitters posted:

The ryzen processor, which set a world record benchmark. It's supposed to compete with the i7 in a way the a12 or fx never could

Yet the only news I've read about it is that they are loving around motherboard manufacturers to the point where they spoke out about how difficult AMD are to deal with. The shortage of motherboards is AMD's fault, CPUs are useless without mobos.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

I agree website, that is the most important feature and thus needed to be listed first.

You jest, but a good number of subscription boxes require a phone call and/or email exchange to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so people put off doing so. All of them renew automatically, so even if you were supposed to make a selection of some sort and haven't done so they just charge you money that you can use to buy their stuff later, hooray (but which you almost certainly can't get refunded).

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

quote:

I drive a car that was financed by my mom, with me consigning. Recently, her car (fully paid off) finally gave out on her. She does not want to put any more money into that car. Instead, she wants to refinance the car that I drive, without me consigning, and keep it for herself. This would free up my credit, so that I can finance another car for myself. We both have below average credit. The car is $9,000+ upside down.

We currently only have one car, and desperately need a 2nd. Can we refinance? What are our options?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68v8go/upside_down_auto_refinance/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It was their earnings yesterday or something, I know because a friend brought it up to me unsolicited. Luckily for he guessed it was going down not up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't even understand how you could get nearly 10k underwater on a car loan during that time-frame.

According to his post history, he is 21, almost 22, and got his car in college.

How do you end up 10k under water in 0-3 years without getting a 25% interest rate and driving it into a wall right off the lot.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

They made a nice chip that is finally competitive with Intel, but only at the highend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its very power competitive and looks quality on a scale that will basically only benefit large server farms that need power or folks that need a lot of cores but not the absolute fastest ones for a competitive price.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't even understand how you could get nearly 10k underwater on a car loan during that time-frame.

No doubt. Good luck with that refi too :thumbsup:

BWM Parents edition: Take out a HELOC in the middle of a housing bubble to invest in a pre-fab condo project as a part owner so that when the developer skips the country with all your money shortly after ground is broken you have virtually no recourse. They lost more money in that scam than I am currently worth, but at least now they take my advice on financial stuff seriously since I told them it was a bad idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

Yeah the initial news was that it was gonna be awesome, but then when it actually came out it wound up being awesome * **

* for fairly narrow, specific tasks
** specific tasks do not include videogames

My friend at work owned a bunch of AMD stock expecting the new chip to make it skyrocket, maybe I should bring it up a bunch at work tomorrow :allears:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

There exists a non-zero number of people who are pissed because they guessed wrong on AMD and now they don't have enough money to buy the Derek Smart spaceship they wanted. I'm sure of it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah the initial news was that it was gonna be awesome, but then when it actually came out it wound up being awesome * **

* for fairly narrow, specific tasks
** specific tasks do not include videogames

My friend at work owned a bunch of AMD stock expecting the new chip to make it skyrocket, maybe I should bring it up a bunch at work tomorrow :allears:

Do we know the same guy? A guy at my office has been jerking off to AMD for the past year and keeps swinging buy to chat with the dude in the cube next to me about how his AMD stock is gonna finally pay off. Also his watercooled rig. It's kind of to be expected out of desktop techs but also retarded when you work for a non profit with a really stupidly good 401k that he could increase his contribution to.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Um, haven't you heard? The government is just gonna take your 401k so contributing is BWM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We had somebody quit today because they were moving in a couple of months with their husband.

Why did they quit now instead of in a couple months when they move?

Because they have been here for 9 years and 10 months. You become vested in the pension plan at 10 years (50% of your average salary for your 3 highest earning years of service until death, starting at age 62 unless you do at least 20 years) and if you quit before you become vested you get your pension contributions back with no interest.

She took a payout of about $8,000 instead of the pension and even had the HR Office and Pension Office repeatedly try to tell her not to quit just for this reason.

If she lives to be 80, then she got that 8k in exchange for 270k over 18 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 3, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

We had somebody quit today because they were moving in a couple of months with their husband.

Because they have been here for 9 years and 10 months. You become vested in the pension plan at 10 years (50% of your average salary for your 3 highest earning years of service until death, starting at age 62 unless you do at least 20 years) and if you quit before you become vested you get your pension contributions back with no interest.

She took a payout of about $8,000 instead of the pension and even had the HR Office and Pension Office repeatedly try to tell her not to quit just for this reason.

What the gently caress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

...and I Need Cash Now...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
From what I heard, Intel was cheating and had to pay AMD a fraction of the profits they made. AMD poured that money into R&D and finally made a competitive chip.

So now people are jerking it to desktop x64 processors which is kind of like getting the best seat on the Titanic since that market is shrinking (and sinking) and neither AMD nor Intel have a RISC offering. I can't be bothered to look at AMD's earnings report, but I'm pretty sure it's a rounding error on Apple's chip business.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FrozenVent posted:

...and I Need Cash Now...

This was literally it.

They spent 45 minutes begging her to stay and giving her a breakdown of how much they would be getting.

She is currently 37 and basically kept repeating:

- We need it for the move.
- My kid is going to college soon.
- Having to keep the State updated with my current address for 25 years seems like a lot of work and hassle
- I just want the money now and to have it done. I don't want to deal with the pension later.

It was probably the most BWM thing I have ever witnessed in real life and it was painful.

She eventually got mad that the HR Office and Pension Office had kept her for almost an hour to try and talk her out of it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Wow. That is a fantastic pension plan, and I would consider changing jobs just to get that. What a hilariously bad with money decision. That woman is a retard.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
drat, it would make a small amount of sense if it was a private company, since they will probably find a way to get out of their pension obligations in the intervening decades, but that's absolutely insane if it's a government pension.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

therobit posted:

Wow. That is a fantastic pension plan, and I would consider changing jobs just to get that. What a hilariously bad with money decision. That woman is a retard.

The even worse part of it is that they actually made the pension plan worse for new employees, but she was grandfathered in under the old plan.

The new plan is still very good, but you have to do 20 years to get to the 50% level instead of 10 and the contribution is 5% of your salary for the same benefit that she paid 3% for.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We've already seen 2017's Golden Wonderhanger winner, and it is Pension Lady

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

She could have looked at it as working for 60 more days for $270k + full pay. Maybe $5k per day of work. Seems like a good reason to stay on for two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Devian666 posted:

She could have looked at it as working for 60 more days for $270k + full pay. Maybe $5k per day of work. Seems like a good reason to stay on for two months.

Yeah but she needed cash now.