Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I tell you who's really hurting from the rise of YouTube, the old-school purveyors of cute boys, Disney and Nickelodeon. They spend millions on focus testing and casting and marketing, and their lab-grown star gets ignored while little girls swoon over, like, the "back at it again with the white vans" kid.

Disney's already investing a ton in their little spinoff company that buys up popular youtuber contracts. Too bad their flagship product was PewDiePie :laugh:

Also their latest batch of lab-grown TV stars just seem kinda offputting. I've seen some ads for Austin and Ally because they run them 24/7 on Adult Swim presumably because they aren't aware that cartoon network stops existing at 8PM every night or something, and that show has the boring relatable every-girl character done fine but all the male characters are really really effeminate and fab as hell, is that popular now or something? I'm A Gay and even I thought they were overdoing it a ton.

Non Serviam posted:

I'm guessing he got paid for it?

I'm a lawyer for a fairly large apparel and footwear company and, let me assure you, a big chunk of marketing is now going to giving poo poo to YouTube and Instagram people.

Ugh.

My favorite case of this is Big Clive, who does little electronics videos mostly of lights and crappy dealextreme chinese junk. One of the chinese companies offered to send him stuff to talk about and he finally had them send him... a streetlight. Because why not.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How the gently caress do you pronounce PewDiePie? I hate that name so much.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce PewDiePie? I hate that name so much.

I always assumed it's pew dee pie

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's actually German so it's really, "Pew The Pie."

Edit: It is not Pew the Pie.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

I always assumed it's pew dee pie

Yeah it's cutie pie but pew like pew pew gun.

:barf:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I have a channel on YouTube with over 1 million views, and it has earned several hundred dollars over a couple of years. I haven't posted a video in over a year. It has paid for a nice microphone, mic amp, and video capture software license, with cash to spare. I already had access to Adobe Suite so that was an expense avoided that the "career YouTubers" need to pay.

There is no way in hell it's an efficient profit generator for anyone but a tiny outlier segment. For extra money, I'd have been better off working at Starbucks. The video editing/production part of it was fun, but it horrifies me that there are kids pursuing this instead of a real career. There is practically no barrier to entry, the future viability is uncertain, and the payouts are small.

Fun hobby, extremely BWM career/job.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

LLCoolJD posted:

I have a channel on YouTube with over 1 million views, and it has earned several hundred dollars over a couple of years. I haven't posted a video in over a year. It has paid for a nice microphone, mic amp, and video capture software license, with cash to spare. I already had access to Adobe Suite so that was an expense avoided that the "career YouTubers" need to pay.

There is no way in hell it's an efficient profit generator for anyone but a tiny outlier segment. For extra money, I'd have been better off working at Starbucks. The video editing/production part of it was fun, but it horrifies me that there are kids pursuing this instead of a real career. There is practically no barrier to entry, the future viability is uncertain, and the payouts are small.

Fun hobby, extremely BWM career/job.

The lack of entry barriers is what they find attractive, I think. If you want to be an actor, for example, the challenges you need to overcome are huge, so most people will actually smarten up and try something else. Youtube is easy to get into, since your unfunny video has the same potential reach as any other.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hoodwinker posted:

It's actually German so it's really, "Pew The Pie."

No one who speaks German could be a bad man :downs:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Youtube is just another 'winner-take-all market' - a few people rise to the top and do really well and the rest lose money or earn less than a steady, minimum wage job. You see it with sports, entertainment, and other interesting places like criminal gangs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/681yam/daily_fi_discussion_thread_april_28_2017/dgvhx81/ posted:

Just overheard a fun conversation in the break room...

Lady is complaining about how her daughter is getting married but "wants to do everything her own way" (which, from what I gathered, meant the daughter wanted to have a small wedding). So she took money out of her 401k so she could pay for the wedding, so that her daughter "will do things my way."

There are so many things wrong here on so many levels...

:siren: UPDATE :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/696u49/daily_fi_discussion_thread_may_04_2017/dh4pfqw/ posted:

Today, I overheard her complaining about how she didn't know there was an early withdrawal penalty on the 401k funds.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Looking forward to the next update where Mom is complaining about the cost of the horse she wants her daughter to ride down the aisle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back to those cute Disney stars, the amount of money they made is mind blowing and makes even top tier YouTube talent look pitiful. Miley Cyrus made around 300 million when you add in merchandising and endorsements and even the Suite Life twins earned something like 100 million. Pete and Pete from Nickelodeon probably made scale. :(

Do they at least take some of that money when you withdraw or are you on the hook for everything the following year? Because she's in for a lot of pain if she withdrew 20k and spent all 20k.

I cashed out my first 401k (yeah yeah, I know) - but I was young, the amount was relatively small, and I don't recall a bad tax hit the following year.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Back to those cute Disney stars, the amount of money they made is mind blowing and makes even top tier YouTube talent look pitiful. Miley Cyrus made around 300 million when you add in merchandising and endorsements and even the Suite Life twins earned something like 100 million. Pete and Pete from Nickelodeon probably made scale. :(

Do they at least take some of that money when you withdraw or are you on the hook for everything the following year? Because she's in for a lot of pain if she withdrew 20k and spent all 20k.

I cashed out my first 401k (yeah yeah, I know) - but I was young, the amount was relatively small, and I don't recall a bad tax hit the following year.

It's a 10% penalty on top of being taxed as income

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I believe the 10% penalty and some of the (now due) income tax is automatically withheld, but then she may also have to pay additional tax when she files her return. :allears:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sundae posted:

I think the intended trajectory is "make hay while the sun shines" and eventually hit it big while stashing away as much as you can.
Yup, that was my plan! It sucks to see more and more of the profits sucked up by Amazon and Facebook as they adjust their payouts.

I can't tell you how many fellow authors I've given advice to that they shouldn't count on their six-figure income to continue indefinitely. One of my close author friends (Sundae, you'll know who this is) ended up buying this huge huge house in a HCOL area. Only she's single, in her early twenties, and had absolutely no use for a giant house. As soon as she bought it, she ended up spending thousands on furniture, fixing things around the house that needed fixing. And PUTTING ON AN ADDITION TO THE ALREADY HUGE HOUSE. This girl had two Roombas for her giant house that she lived in alone.

And then Amazon crashed, and her books never recovered the same amount of popularity. I'm guessing she'll have to sell the house soon, and all I can do is shake my head and try not to say I told you so.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Here's an It Came From Reddit that made me break out into a cold sweat:

Unable to match after med school, 260k in debt

Over a quarter million dollars on a degree he can't use. Serious question, is there anything he can do besides, like, fake his own death?

Well, here's a possible update: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/699gan/my_brother_killed_himself_what_happens_to_his/ :smith:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus, and the parents are on the hook for cosigning. That's a loving tragic mess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh my god. The OP of the one I linked mentioned living in his car. This is horrible. People were giving him supportive advice about trying to match again or taking a medical-field-related job too.

Edit: Hope?

a reply in that thread posted:

PNC is a bank headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA. According to their website, "Outstanding debt will be forgiven upon the death of the borrower."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Yup, that was my plan! It sucks to see more and more of the profits sucked up by Amazon and Facebook as they adjust their payouts.

I can't tell you how many fellow authors I've given advice to that they shouldn't count on their six-figure income to continue indefinitely. One of my close author friends (Sundae, you'll know who this is) ended up buying this huge huge house in a HCOL area. Only she's single, in her early twenties, and had absolutely no use for a giant house. As soon as she bought it, she ended up spending thousands on furniture, fixing things around the house that needed fixing. And PUTTING ON AN ADDITION TO THE ALREADY HUGE HOUSE. This girl had two Roombas for her giant house that she lived in alone.

And then Amazon crashed, and her books never recovered the same amount of popularity. I'm guessing she'll have to sell the house soon, and all I can do is shake my head and try not to say I told you so.

:( I wasn't aware that happened to her. Sorry to hear that!

I was looking at a few of the others who just settled out bankruptcy after they got too expensive for their own good, assumed the gravy train would never end, etc. It's really sad to watch it happen, though.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A very popular strategy is to "double-dip" pensions by retiring from the military and get a job as a bailiff at a Court. The military has very accelerated vesting processes and many people join very young, so it is very possible to get your 20 years in, retire at 40, get a job as a bailiff, then retire at 60, and collect $6,000 a month.

Additionally, almost every single state has a preferred hiring process for veterans and veterans are exempt anti-discrimination hiring rules that most states have, so you can actively choose them over someone else.

Well run and rich counties and states are actually the places with the best pension plans.

Montgomery County Maryland, Fairfax County Virginia, San Francisco, Delaware, Massachusetts, the Federal Government, and parts of New Jersey have the best run pensions.

I mean... Rising pension costs a growing problem in budget-weary Fairfax County

That doesn't mean that pension isn't sweet though. 0.02 x creditable service x average highest pay x 1.03 seems really good. I'm amazed at how many games you can play with pension numbers from different places that offer pensions. I also am amazed that I searched for and read the handbook to a pension plan to a county I've no interest in working for. I suppose I'm technically old now.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

That doesn't mean that pension isn't sweet though. 0.02 x creditable service x average highest pay x 1.03 seems really good. I'm amazed at how many games you can play with pension numbers from different places that offer pensions. I also am amazed that I searched for and read the handbook to a pension plan to a county I've no interest in working for. I suppose I'm technically old now.

Worse would be Puerto Rico which the NY Times described as a Ponzi scheme:

quote:

In Puerto Rico, for instance, the pension funds are so short of cash that money contributed by working teachers basically flows straight out to retirees. None of Puerto Rico’s current teachers can expect to get their money back, because the fund is due to run out of money in 2018, long before they retire.

PR is bankrupt now so RIP everything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Rising costs being a problem doesn't mean it's not well run.

Pensions are only 6% of the county budget, they are still completely solvent, they are very generous, and they can make it solvent for the foreseeable future by just making the minimum retirement age 60 for new employees and having some economic growth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also:

http://www.nirsonline.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336&Itemid=111 posted:

The cost to deliver the same retirement income to a group of employees is 46% lower in a typical DB plan than in a defined contribution individual account plan.

Some $7.3 billion in public assistance expenditures was avoided in 2006 due to Americans’ receipt of pension income.
In the absence of DB pensions, spending on public assistance for the elderly would be about 40% higher.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

Youtube is just another 'winner-take-all market' - a few people rise to the top and do really well and the rest lose money or earn less than a steady, minimum wage job. You see it with sports, entertainment, and other interesting places like criminal gangs.

There's a review by Gabriex or someone like that floating about poking at positive feedback effects. There are no markets without positive feedback effects including labor market, so it's all a power law (the exponents are different). General property of information processing dealios. Your dns cache will have positive feedback power laws in it, same deal with contract sizes, war sizes, etc etc

You can have equality if your market doesn't process any info

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

curufinor posted:

There's a review by Gabriex or someone like that floating about poking at positive feedback effects. There are no markets without positive feedback effects including labor market, so it's all a power law (the exponents are different). General property of information processing dealios. Your dns cache will have positive feedback power laws in it, same deal with contract sizes, war sizes, etc etc

You can have equality if your market doesn't process any info

Could you translate that into "art degree" please? It sounds interesting but:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Could you translate that into "art degree" please? It sounds interesting but:

Some guy said if you kinda squint you can model every process in society as some kind of exponential curve. The poster then draws the dubious conclusion that as a result equality is impossible, or something.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rising costs being a problem doesn't mean it's not well run.

Pensions are only 6% of the county budget, they are still completely solvent, they are very generous, and they can make it solvent for the foreseeable future by just making the minimum retirement age 60 for new employees and having some economic growth.

I suppose as long as it's managed properly, it will do well. Still, a 50%+ increase in relative cost to the county in a handful of years seems like a lot.

Who knew? Government pensions are GWM for the government.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Speaking of TSP...

Coworker 1 (8 years ago, after severe market correction): My TSP is invested totally into the G fund (T-bills) because Coworker 2 said that the G fund never loses money and it's the safest option.
Me: That barely keeps up with inflation, you need something more balanced
Coworker 1: Thanks for the info, I'm going all in on the C fund (stocks) now
Me: No.... keep it balanced, you know you can just pick a target fund...
Coworker 1: Can't, I need to make up for the losses and don't have much time.

Coworker 2 (today): I won't do an annuity, I'm going to withdraw it all when I retire
Me: I'm confused by your statement, based on my understanding of FERS and TSP (turns out he calls TSP withdrawals an annuity)
Coworker 2: I don't trust the government to manage my money, so when I retire, I'm going to withdraw all of my TSP and invest it in CDs
Me: The entire balance will be taxed as income and you will be taxed as such.
Coworker 2: Oh.
Me: Also, if you're 100% G fund, then there's no better option, but you could roll things over to Vanguard if you're concerned about the government controlling the account.
Coworker 2: Who's Vanguard?

Coworker 1 is 5 years from retirement, #2 is 1 year away.

Needless to say, I'm not worried about either of them seeing this post. I'm just glad that at least for now Coworker 1 has gotten decent returns despite Coworker 2's advice and his own over-correction in the other direction.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

OGDanDogg posted:

My TSP is invested totally into the G fund (T-bills)

Just pointing out that the G fund isn't T bills, it's a special interest-bearing security issued by the Treasury only to the G fund.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will always roll over a 401k when I leave a company to the tsp and start over fresh at the new company. Love the tsp.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah it's cutie pie but pew like pew pew gun.

:barf:

Holy poo poo, so that's why it is pronounced like that.

On a related note about BWM and PewDiePie-- being publicly anti Semitic.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

I will always roll over a 401k when I leave a company to the tsp and start over fresh at the new company. Love the tsp.

So...better to max out the TSP with the target fund than even mess with the Roth at 30y/o, I take it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't understand. I just do that because of management fees and a similar rate of return. I'm sure I'm leaving money on the table somewhere.

We had multiple guys take tsp loans in 2009 and pay them back at 1.5% interest over years.

They didn't, and may still not, understand what they were missing out on.

Not that anyone I worked with contributed more than the bare minimum for the match, and that was only after multiple finance offers trundled down to explain to them it was free money.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 5, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

Just pointing out that the G fund isn't T bills, it's a special interest-bearing security issued by the Treasury only to the G fund.

I've heard the G fund is actually a pretty nice option as far as bond holdings, it's just not something you want to put everything into.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
G basically gives you inflation+a fraction of a percent or so, and the risk is essentially zero (unless the Federal government collapses). It's great for what it is, but it's definitely not what a 19-year-old should be investing in.

There are people out there that try market timing with the G fund. You're allowed a few fee-free interfund transfers a month so if you think something bad is coming you dump all your money into the G and try to short the S&P500.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Fun BWM at work. I have a coworker who seems pretty good at their job, sophisticated, very smart, bit of a mentor to a junior person like me and we were in the process of needing to get an ottoman and entertainment center for our new house so I asked a couple of coworkers, this individual included, for a place to get decent quality, affordable furniture (it turns out the answer is Vietnam by way of Amazon, if you're curious).

She told me that when they moved to this job this person made their partner cash out an entire 401k PLUS PENALTIES to buy a whole house of modern, design furniture and a "whole house style consultation." They have teenagers about to go to college, dogs (why nice furniture now?) and student loans. My jaw hit the floor.

Not quite like ($125k) of NPV burned because "you need your money now" but maybe? I don't know how much it cost, but I have to assume on the order of 30 or 40 thousand dollars, so potentially a lot more in future value, assuming they were reasonably invested.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You're in a super-highly compensated part of the universe, why the gently caress would your colleague just not be able to budget for that poo poo in advance.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're in a super-highly compensated part of the universe, why the gently caress would your colleague just not be able to budget for that poo poo in advance.

I literally have no idea. It just gives you some insight that being a really high earner doesn't necessarily translate to being any good with money.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because then they'd get their furniture in a month or two instead of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My Dad has a saying for that: expenses rise to meet income.