Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BloodBag posted:

My Dad has a saying for that: expenses rise to meet income.

I think about that one a lot and really, really try to avoid it as much as possible. I think the key is being disciplined enough to pay something (savings, retirement, etc) first and NOT TOUCH IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It creeps up, even if it takes years. It's like how you can add an extra pound every year and not think much of it, but in 10 years you're 10 pounds heavier.

I have to try to avoid small things like $10/month subscriptions.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think about that one a lot and really, really try to avoid it as much as possible. I think the key is being disciplined enough to pay something (savings, retirement, etc) first and NOT TOUCH IT.
It's amazing how much room there can still be left to purchase goods and services if you just loving budget for savings as a line item like everything else. But no, says the American consumer, I don't want to live like a miser because that is the automatic alternative to instant gratification.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not too hard, set savings up to get direct deposited to and make it a separate account at a separate bank so you literally don't even see it at all so you can't get "wow I have $xxxx I could totally buy a horse!"

I mean I guess it's hard to actually get people to do that...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's not too hard, set savings up to get direct deposited to and make it a separate account at a separate bank so you literally don't even see it at all so you can't get "wow I have $xxxx I could totally buy a horse!"

I mean I guess it's hard to actually get people to do that...

Well I mean step one is have free cash and be above subsistence level poverty so it's right out for a good portion of people today even in the developed world.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like manually moving my savings between accounts each month because it makes me feel like I'm doing a good thing. :unsmith:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well I mean step one is have free cash and be above subsistence level poverty so it's right out for a good portion of people today even in the developed world.
We're all well aware that this thread and its contents are usually referring to people with enough free income (but never enough) to develop horse-needs.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

monster on a stick posted:

Worse would be Puerto Rico which the NY Times described as a Ponzi scheme:

PR is bankrupt now so RIP everything.
This is exactly why people need to smarten up and save for retirement under the assumption that their publicly-funded pension won't exist by the time they retire. Because this can happen pretty much anywhere.

I spoke with a lot of clients who scoffed at me when I suggested that they get in the habit of setting aside a small, fixed amount of each paycheque into their retirement savings because "I'll get CPP and OAS" or the incredible, "I've got real estate. :smug:" And they say this in the face of an increasingly aging population, high inflation that's far outpacing all combined sources of average income, and an already pitiful CPP/OAS payout that's barely above poverty wage.

There is a public sector retirement time bomb happening and nobody wants to acknowledge it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

melon cat posted:

This is exactly why people need to smarten up and save for retirement under the assumption that their publicly-funded pension won't exist by the time they retire. Because this can happen pretty much anywhere.

I spoke with a lot of clients who scoffed at me when I suggested that they get in the habit of setting aside a small, fixed amount of each paycheque into their retirement savings because "I'll get CPP and OAS" or the incredible, "I've got real estate. :smug:" And they say this in the face of an increasingly aging population, high inflation that's far outpacing all combined sources of average income, and an already pitiful CPP/OAS payout that's barely above poverty wage.

There is a public sector retirement time bomb happening and nobody wants to acknowledge it.
To be fair for them I'm sure this is equivalent to me scoffing at preppers until the entire government collapses and I wish I had bought nothing but high-caliber ammunition. In their mind it makes no rational sense to distrust an establishment that served the previous generation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You're not actively trying to vote in an apocalypse, however.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Volmarias posted:

You're not actively trying to vote in an apocalypse, however.

This is the exact attitude that led to the mismanagement of the bullet farm.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the exact attitude that led to the mismanagement of the bullet farm.

I'm a tearful-eyed liberal but I've watched Fury Road enough times to take its lessons to heart

My stockpile:

welding supplies
grinding disks
skulls
friends

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If the federal or state government completely crashes and cannot honor my pension, then honestly - some really lovely stuff has happened. If my pension isn't as good as it should be, then savings for that will hopefully offset.

I was at a car dealership with a friend this weekend. He was buying a new car. The first dealership did a full on hard sale: bringing people over, not letting us leave, etc. The sales man then jumped into (a) "oh I'm a bad seller and Im going to get in trouble" ; (b) saying "hey you're a smart guy" when he can't possibly know that; and(c) started discussing how you actually build equity in your car and it's like a retirement fund.

Friend bailed and still bought a new car, but at least didn't fall for the hard sale. Hearing "car equity" reminded me of "horse equuity."

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

There will still be bad with money* people in the apocalyptic future, right? I'm going to stockpile:

wedding supplies
horseshoes
BMW parts
mystery box paraphernalia

* or bottlecaps or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how the hell can anyone believe in Car Equity?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Hoodwinker posted:

It's amazing how much room there can still be left to purchase goods and services if you just loving budget for savings as a line item like everything else. But no, says the American consumer, I don't want to live like a miser because that is the automatic alternative to instant gratification.

YNAB line item - dumb stuff. Literally, I have an line saving for whatever dumb item I'm going to buy.

People with thousands of dollars left over after necessities every month would also be surprised what a person can buy when they buy one high quality item designed to last decades as opposed to junk.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean you can have negative car equity, right?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For the same reason that people don't know how to manage personal finances: complete loving ignorance of the levers and pulleys responsible for financial health.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm a tearful-eyed liberal but I've watched Fury Road enough times to take its lessons to heart

My stockpile:

welding supplies
grinding disks
skulls
friends
This but unironically. A healthy social support network is the rock solid foundation for success and happiness in life, whether it's finding jobs more easily or having somebody to hold down a dude's neck with their boot while you rifle through his pockets.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I should find it and scan it, but the local newspaper where my parents live had an interview with the owner of several car dealerships in the area who was running for the state legislature.

He answered one of the questions with the response, "I've been in business for decades and one thing I've learned is that the most efficient answer isn't always the most obvious one. We need to make smart investments that hold value into the future. I always advise customers coming onto my lots to get a car that will hold its value. Don't settle for a base model. Packages that include DVD Players and rear-view cameras might seem like luxuries, but they will more than pay for themselves during resale in a few years when those features become standard and people will expect them. I tell people to think of the whole cost of the car and what it can do to work for you, even after you sell it. We need to get the state running with that kind of foresight and not just looking at the next budget or election cycle."

(This is a rough paraphrase, but about 95% word for word. Also, he won.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 5, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BWM: most of the country electing officials who are not like that guy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

BWM: most of the country electing officials who are not like that guy.

If you took his advice and allowed a car dealer to up-sell you like that, then you would never make back your "investment" in car trim or a luxury model.

Nor is it wise to buy a new car with the plan of reselling it in a couple years to get your money back and buy a new one.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I've been lead to believe if you're going to trade in every few years you should just lease instead. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you took his advice and allowed a car dealer to up-sell you like that, then you would never make back your "investment" in car trim or a luxury model.

Nor is it wise to buy a new car with the plan of reselling it in a couple years to get your money back and buy a new one.
I guess the optimist in me looked past the everyman car buying analogy and at the part where he says, "We need to get the state running with that kind of foresight and not just looking at the next budget or election cycle." I realize it's not verbatim but that's an incredibly valuable outlook.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Being able to sell ideas using sleazy car salesmen tactics and massive oversimplification is something republicans are really good at and while I'm not sure what this guy's political party is or anything it's nice to see someone using it to get things done instead of to convince people killing them is good for freedom or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

by the way he is completely fuckin wrong if you look at transaction prices, the options packages depreciate faster than the car

gently caress that guy, and also all car dealers, with a barbed wire wrapped tie rod

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Because then they'd get their furniture in a month or two instead of now.

It's my ottoman and I want it now!

That commercial works for everything.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I guess the optimist in me looked past the everyman car buying analogy and at the part where he says, "We need to get the state running with that kind of foresight and not just looking at the next budget or election cycle." I realize it's not verbatim but that's an incredibly valuable outlook.

Yeah it's terrible car advice but it's the kind of salesman car advice that 90% of the population thinks is really good car advice coming from a helpful salesman that just sounds like common sense and I guess i'm okay with horrible manipulative mind control tactics being used for good? Man the trump presidency has made me reevaluate a lot of things...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Being able to sell ideas using sleazy car salesmen tactics and massive oversimplification is something republicans are really good at and while I'm not sure what this guy's political party is or anything it's nice to see someone using it to get things done instead of to convince people killing them is good for freedom or whatever.

He was a Republican and his campaign platform was:

1) Eliminating "Smart Growth" rules to allow the building of a mall and allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots
2) Changing the state tax code to give bonuses based on age, so seniors could get larger caps on credits and college students who live with their parents don't get credits that they don't need.
3) To fight a court order by the Housing and Urban Development Department halting a proposal to tear down an affordable housing unit and sell it to Marriott.
4) Add more lanes to our back-roads and downtown main streets.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

I've been lead to believe if you're going to trade in every few years you should just lease instead. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Or buy a Toyota/Honda which keep their value to an absurd extent, judging from used car prices.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah it's terrible car advice but it's the kind of salesman car advice that 90% of the population thinks is really good car advice coming from a helpful salesman that just sounds like common sense and I guess i'm okay with horrible manipulative mind control tactics being used for good? Man the trump presidency has made me reevaluate a lot of things...
I mean if you get down to what influence is about, it's less about being a manipulative mastermind and just connecting to the other person to convince them of your point of view. Sometimes this is done deliberately and sometimes it's done indirectly. This guy sounds like he probably just knows how to connect properly with his base.

1) Eliminating "Smart Growth" rules to allow the building of a mall and allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots
2) Changing the state tax code to give bonuses based on age, so seniors could get larger caps on credits and college students who live with their parents don't get credits that they don't need.
3) To fight a court order by the Housing and Urban Development Department halting a proposal to tear down an affordable housing unit and sell it to Marriott.
I'll be honest I can't tell from the way you worded things whether or not these are good things or bad things that sound good on the surface.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Not to dive into politics but if you didn't read his "sage financial advice" as a literal snake dressed up in a human suit hissing at you to come closer so that it could eat you, you need to have a little more critical of an eye toward statements made by your politicians.

I mean

The snake hissed, "We need to make sssmart invessstmentsss that hold value into the future. I always advissse cussstomerss coming onto my lotssssss to get a car that will hold its value. Don't ssssettle for a base model. Packagesss that include DVD Playerss and rear-view camerasss might seem like luxuriessss, but they will more than pay for themselves during ressssale in a few years when those featuresss become ssstandard and people will expect them. I tell people to think of the whole cost of the car and what it can do to work for you, even after you ssssell it. We need to get the sssstate running with that kind of foressssight and not just looking at the next budget or election cccycle."

the snake is campaigning on car equity!

gwm: using your political campaign to bolster your private business holdings

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 5, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Not to dive into politics but if you didn't read his "sage financial advice" as a literal snake dressed up in a human suit hissing at you to come closer so that it could eat you, you need to have a little more critical of an eye toward statements made by your politicians

Yeah that's obvious, my point was more that that stuff works on a lot of people and since convincing people with reality has clearly failed us we might as well try it :smith:

Oh well :sigh:

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

1) allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots

Wait these sound great.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
A car salesman politician wants to change laws to add more parking spaces for cars, give people who are more likely to buy cars more money back from taxes, and add more lanes for cars even though studies have shown that adding more lanes does not decrease traffic.

Can't figure out how the 3rd one ties into his principal business but GWM getting elected and then using the government to improve your business model.

potatoducks posted:

Wait these sound great.

1) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-theory/wp/2016/03/03/how-parking-requirements-hurt-the-poor/?utm_term=.9ada5df47c7f

4) https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

potatoducks posted:

Wait these sound great.

It may sound convenient but it's hellishly bad urban planning that makes commute times and housing prices skyrocket, makes it harder to live healthy lives, and hurts the environment. Car-centric development is the ultimate in short-term thinking.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Wellp, it's me. I'm the BWP (bad with politicians).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/widening-highways-never-fixes-traffic-darnit-texas/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

potatoducks posted:

Wait these sound great.

Only if you're rooted in American suburbia. Lots of needless overhead from designing cities to accommodate cars. Everything gets further apart and more people need cars and so on and so forth. BWM

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah #1 just too selfish to care much about compared to increased ease of parking. #4 maybe but at some point there will be enough lanes to fit all the people in the world and life will be great. Maybe when flying cars come and we have sky lanes. Also, I think the title of the article is misleading. I think the study found that traffic actually stayed the same, not increased.

Nail Rat posted:

Only if you're rooted in American suburbia.

Guilty for sure. But I think more than half of Americans live in suburbs so :shrug:

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Also land use...

A 160 acre greenfield subdivision can have about as many units as a new half block, 6-story apartment building, with a lot more new infrastructure needed for the greenfield development.

Plus for a landlocked municipality, once you stop being able to annex new land, increasing the density of your existing land use is the best way to increase your tax base to pay for the infrastructure that you never budgeted to support long term.

On the topic of shopping center parking, a lot of overparked shopping centers by me are putting in retail pads for more buildings as the malls lose thier drawing power. Some wih huge parking lots have actually stuck new apartment buildings in there too because they have so much parking.