Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

Apple doesn't make chips

AMD doesn't either, they sold their fabs ages ago. They do what Apple does: design in-house and have someone else produce silicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tamba posted:

http://wealthgenerators.com/get-started-us/

"Set up a brokerage account with the capital you want to "invest", give us access to it and pay us $150-$200 a month and out bot will automatically trade for you and probably* earn you money. Just look at those past returns that clearly indicate the likely future results*"

Are you arguing against the whole class of roboadvisors, or against financial instrument advertising as a whole, or what? There are billions under management by roboadvisors, and every financial instrument advertises based on historical results with that disclaimer. This may be a lovely one, but I think you'll need to go into more detail to say why.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure "take financial advice from employer regarding pension choices" is always a slam dunk either, mind.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

For some reason I thought that was only for their graphics chips but I guess I misread that, okay :shrug:

Pretty sure it's all GloFo now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It'll be the producer's car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How? I know Supreme stuff is expensive, but that can't even be $400, leaving the jeans and shoes to be $2600. Maybe it's an expensive but not flashy watch, some stupid expensive even by male fashion standards jeans, and some rare sneakers he had to buy off of a scalper?

There are sneakers that list at $1800, and people apparently buy them.

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-accessories/advice/g2538/luxury-sneaker-brands-worth-spending-money/ for a randomly chosen set of examples.

$1000 on jeans, perhaps obviously, doesn't take much work at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RVs are more like homes than cars, at the high end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

uhh not in how they depriciate

Sorry, I meant in pricing and use (and probably maintenance costs). You're absolutely right from a long-term value perspective.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Virtue posted:

Why did you decide to inject race and gender into the discussion?

That's just what she does

because it's pretty much always relevant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People often ask illegal questions naively rather than maliciously too. I talk to a lot of startups about hiring and the percentage that might ask things like "do you have any kids?" or "whereabouts do you live?" (both just to be social) is about 110. We did a lot of interviewing and implicit bias training at my last job, and people were always very surprised at what you shouldn't be asking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zo posted:

uhhhh

the article is hilariously self contradictory and doesn't cite anything.

There are lots of things it could cite, but I'm on my phone so :effort:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Colin Mockery posted:

No. If you want to make polite/semi-revelant location-based small-talk, you can ask "How was the commute? Was getting here okay?"

Nope. Don't ask about how they traveled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zo posted:

lol sure feel free whenever to find a source confirming that interviewers can't ask what your address is

https://www.google.ca/search?q=interview+question+where+do+you+live&oq=interview+question+where+do+you+live

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ornamented Death posted:

A few guys I work with don't seem to register purchases under a certain dollar amount.

Isn't that true of virtually everyone? For some people it's $1, for others it's $20 or $100 or whatever. Do people do budget math for a pack of gum? I've been poor, but I haven't been as disciplined as that.

Setting that threshold too high for your financial circumstances is BWM for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kirios posted:

Learning to grill after being years of lazy was one of the most rewarding things I've done for myself in a very long time. Wife and I love doing it once or twice a week, and it's more meals cooked inside to save money.

You aren't literally grilling inside, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're real cooking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are CSAs BWM? Looking for a pre-emptive judgment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Not if you really like vegetables, aren't picky about what you get, and have a lot of mouths to feed. Otherwise you'll slowly be buried in kale.

The ones near me seem to have "you live alone and want some vegetables to ease your pathetic loneliness" options, which will hopefully keep my compost pile from consuming my yard. Mostly they do organic, which I don't care about, but the local options are nice. (I live in Toronto so I presume it's going to be beets, potatoes, and greenhouse tomatoes for 4 months.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ketchup contains tomato, which is a fruit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know someone with literally millions of dollars in a savings account for the last 8 months or so, because she finds everything to do with money severely anxiety-provoking. I told her that if she hadn't figured out how to deal with it by the end of May I was coming over and "forcibly" putting half of it in an ETF. We shall see.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ixian posted:

principle

I don't think he had enough principles to live on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

:lol: if you think a company that's never turned a profit will be around in 15 years. That VC gravy train won't last forever.

Amazon was public for 4 years before its first profitable quarter, let alone year; until a few years ago it still routinely lost money. Snap just raised a pile on the public markets without a plan for profitability at all. You don't need VC gravy to keep going.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

Snap also lost 20% of its market cap in a single day on a report that it can't grow users or revenue, so maybe not the best thing to use here. Investor storytime as actual business plan is BWM.

Snap didn't lose any of its operating funds when that happened. My point is that unprofitable companies, especially high-profile ones, can raise funds to operate without needing venture capital. Snap could almost certainly raise more money with a second public offering as soon as next year, though they probably wouldn't enjoy pricing the round.

E: do you really think that investor storytime has been BWM for Evan?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Redacting the email, phone number, and right-hand student's first name might have been cool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Technically those are a form of candle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The mortgage interest tax deduction is regressive bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droo posted:

I think the idea is that home ownership is good for society

It's mostly an accident of tax-policy history, now enshrined by those who benefit from it.

https://taxfoundation.org/history-mortgage-interest-deduction/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you bought them in the 70s, are you still paying any mortgage interest on them?

But no, don't settle for anything but outright removal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sundae posted:

Oops, sorry - I was referring to the previous Prop 13 derail, not the Mortgage Interest Deduction one. Apologies.

Ah, my bad!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was a horse driving?

Seahorse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LLCoolJD posted:

There's a huge difference between not taxing someone for something and giving free things away to people.

Not really, no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There were other key design choices in Snapchat, but ephemerality was the initial cornerstone, yes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My GF and I use mostly it to send goofy pics between our kids, or "is this the type of shampoo you meant?" messages that don't need to live forever in our photo collections.

Our daughters just save local copies of pics/videos with filters to send to their parents or friends via other channels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

monster on a stick posted:

People don't usually leave their tax returns out two months after they were due.

It definitely happens. Also, if you filed an extension, they weren't due in April. Also also we don't know when his company's end of year is. Mine's in July, details are on my desk right now.

E: oh, this might be the assessment and not the returns, but the assessment could have just come back for the same reasons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I skimmed the post and formed a mental model that maximized my amusement. I suspect it was fair to neither party, and revealed unconscionable bias, but I had a good time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Thank you, thread, for reminding me that I need to finish filing FBAR to avoid tens of thousands in BWM penalties. Worth my :10bux: right there.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

I don't understand. Based on TB's posts, I assume your boss was a woman?

Kindly gently caress off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dillbag posted:

If he has 80k in his TFSA he must be doing great because the cumulative deposit limit since 2009 is only 52k.

No, he has 80K including TFSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Lump posted:

This is from, ~10 pages ago, but can you seriously purchase a filter on snapchat so every single picture has an overlay on it in a specific location?

Does this mean that I can buy a geofilter for a business I hate so everytime someone takes a picture in the vicinity it shows up?!?

Oh
my
god

I am about to go bad with money very very soon.

It's available to the user, not mandatory.