Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BWM: Helpfully admitting and documenting your discrimination for your employee's discrimination lawsuit.
What a nice manager. He heard she was having a bad time and decided to help by giving her all his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrozenVent posted:

For the record horse meat is delicious and I don't understand America's repulsion with it.
Same as dogs, we've spent millennia breeding them to be our cool smart animal friends so eating them seems kind of gross.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

crazypeltast52 posted:

That article did have a point about horse drugs. Racehorses get put on some drug cocktails that could impact suitability for food.
Oh, I thought we were talking about raising horses for slaughter. Eating horses raised for any other reason goes from skeevy feeling to could potentially kill you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slate Slabrock posted:

The fees get nasty when I (or anyone not an agent) get reimbursed for something and they drop it on the money card that I don't use. If I buy a $20 tool, I'll get hit with a $5 monthly maintenance fee the second the money drops in (if it's my first for the month of course), if I try to use an ATM the card charges $3 on top of the ATM fee. Or I can pay $3 to transfer to my real bank. I might get $12 back for my $20 tool.
Where do you live that this is legal rather than them just adding it to your paycheck?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Senor Dog posted:

You really do not want to wear shoes you've worn in restaurant kitchens to basically anywhere else.
If you're wearing your work shoes half the time your non-work shoes will last longer, so it's not like you're just throwing the money away. Unless you have the option to work from home in your socks or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cowofwar posted:

They make $10k a month gross and can’t handle $1k in loans?
His post history is smart watches, litecoin mining, and the_donald

You tell me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"Thank gently caress I don't live there anymore" is what I've heard from South African ex-pats in general.

The even bigger water issue (but maybe this is just Pretoria and Johannesburg) is that they completely gutted their EPA so the water that's already there is hazardous. My 60 year old manager used to swim in a reservoir outside of one of those cities (I forget where he was as a kid) and there were big expensive houses being built on the waterfront. Now there's a constant cover of scum and mold on the reservoir and the houses are dirt-cheap or unoccupied because nobody wants to live near the smell.
Well maybe if he hadn't swam in it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Haifisch posted:

We'll see how that goes for them since they have no jobs or savings now.
Also they're supposed to go in the sea. Would make it harder to sink though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DariusLikewise posted:

No you see, you need to win one of those lesser lotteries, like a million bucks or less. That's financial planning.
You tell everyone you won a million dollars, then use it to kickstart your dog heelies company and claim it's doing gangbusters. Money laundering except the IRS knows about it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Devian666 posted:

It's no wonder the Federal Government has been forced to act to find out what's really going on in the Australian banking sector. I'm wondering if fraud will be uncovered in the New Zealand branches too.

With a household income of $500k how could they not already be living an exceptional lifestyle. There's no good reason to put effort into stealing money with that pay.
A gold plated backscratcher? What am I, some kind of poor?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, how many times can I push the button?
~7.6 billion

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Enfys posted:

Wow.

Whoever sells these is GWM but BWGod.
God With Money

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not but yeah that is probably true. Way overdue for a correction. I think if China's growth hadn't provided a market for their natural resources the 2008 recession would have done it. With things slowing in China, Australia is one commodity market crash away from Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome.
As far as I'm concerned this is now the backstory to Mad Max and the rest of the world is just pointing and laughing.

Well, not post-Trump America.

Or post-brexit Britain.

Or anyone directly affected by post-Trump America.

Or... OK China and Russia are probably fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chinese polity was created late 1949
if you get to count poo poo that happened before the chinese polity, americans get to count dead europeans
As a European, you lost that right when you left :smug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

guess I'm just jealous that I have to work 40 hours a week...and get health and dental insurance, and a 401(k) match, and PTO, and a pair of free glasses every year (I work in an eye clinic), and a clothing allowance for scrubs, and...
One pair? Try all the free* leggings you can wear**!

*not free
**cram in a closet and weep over

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

an actual dog posted:

Vegan YouTube is a deep hole of bullshit, here's a good article about it.
Recent events are making a lot more sense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This post contains roughly as many horses as it does people who are not going to jail.

Employer’s bank removed all payroll history. Still no tax forms sent out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/ posted:

u/AggressiveRough
My employer (an advertising agency) hires all of their employees as independent contractors. Even though we all have office hours, but that’s another story. Right now, none of us have received our 1099s. I’m working with the owner on getting them, but it turns out their bank updated their system, and managed to loose all records of anything that went through direct deposit.

Somehow they have no records of what they paid each employee.

I have no idea what to do now. I’m the office manager and I have to deal with everyone looking for their tax forms, and I don’t know what else to tell them besides try to keep records for yourself, and claim that. As that’s what I plan to do. Many employees tell me they did not keep records, so I suggest they start now.

Do I need to be concerned? Is there something I can do to help my employer?

I've been asking him almost daily about updates, and I can tell he is very stressed out about it, but all he says is "I'm still waiting to hear back from the bank, I'm going to email them again now."

eeehhh?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How about instead of explaining why horses are bad for the xth time someone try to explain to me exactly what scam payroll lady's boss is trying to run and how refusing to tell the contractors how much they paid them actually helps with this. I'm genuinely baffled as to the endgame here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A little taste of the BWM black hole that is anything linked to the Traditional Games RPG industry. "d20" refers to a supposedly generic RPG framework that third parties could build on that boomed and then busted several years ago.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've said before that there's two local-ish game stores that still have shelves of d20 product they're never going to sell because they won't reduce the price on any of it.

And it's so obvious to everyone that nobody's going to touch that poo poo. People weren't going to touch it five years ago, they're sure as poo poo not going to touch it now. Just knock everything down to a buck a pop for a month or two, then just get rid of it. It's not going to make you a profit, but it's not like that poo poo is ever going make a profit at this point anyway.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was a local game store owner that didn't reduce the price on back stock, and even after the store closed he'd show up at local cons with the same old stock in booths. And he had a lot of stuff he hadn't been able to sell, like a bunch of copies of Battlefleet Gothic that was a required purchase as a GW retailer, or a stack of World of Synnibarr he'd gotten somewhere and tried to push on folks. I don't know if he made just enough money doing that at cons, or if he was just stubborn, but I think eventually he ended up getting this stock bought by another local store before moving elsewhere.

Was always a bit surreal to see the same half-dozen copies of the Batman Role-Playing Game floating around the area, dreaming of a better home.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 12, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oRenj9 posted:

Take a look your spreadsheet, line 11: you're paying $12.69 in interest but earning $12.78.

My entire post was basically: every spreadsheet will have this crossover, so long as you're paying principal each month. So thanks for the example demonstrating my point.

Edit: basically, the dude was like, "this weird thing happens" and I'm pointing out it's not a "weird thing," as it will literally always happen.
It will never happen because you're ignoring the opportunity cost of investing the money you're paying off the loan with. Unless the actual point you were trying to make was that hey, if you look at this in isolation and ignore the thing that makes it unprofitable, it totally works! The former makes you regular dumb. The latter makes you special edition dumb. For the love of god, just pretend it was the former.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Would you rather live in a 1 BD apartment with two kids, making $100k, or a 3BD house with two kids, making $50k

Your housing is free
Are they my kids?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah you gotta take care of em. You can bring your spouse too if you want! Make any assumptions you must in order to choose.
I foster out the kids to adopt in two different kids with slightly slower growth rates.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Krispy Wafer posted:

And 6% sales tax! We are so taxed!

I’m not sure I want to know what you Europeans pay in VAT.
Just under four times that where I live.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Uterine Lineup posted:

So, I need to help my wife and sister figure out how to make this all work.
Tell the father to change his life insurance policy such that the 100K goes straight into the principle of the mortgage instead of paying out to the family? Is that a thing you can do?

Also, when he says the trust is managed by the 2nd wife, how much damage can she do? Can she remortgage it or something stupid like that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I mean, they're made of potatoes, so in the same way that Vodka's a vegetable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It is considered polite to buy dinner first.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I bring you a gift from the r/relationships thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7w9v74/tax_advice_for_my_sister_please/ posted:

My little sister worked at a small restaurant in a very small town. They paid her under the table, and refused to take any taxes out of her checks.

Today, they called her up and presented her with this:

I've blurred her name and the name of the business. What are her options at this point? Thank you.

Edit: The plan is to file and pay what's owed. I'm wondering more about getting her proper paperwork and inquiring if the business has done anything illegal. It just seems fishy to me, so I figured I would ask. I don't know the law anywhere good enough to assume anything. Any advice would be appreciated, and I will answer any questions anyone has.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 24, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inept posted:

I thought the entire point of paying someone under the table was to avoid having any tax documentation at all. Why did they bother with that stupid handwritten thing?
Someone told them one weird trick to have their cake and eat it too.

Employees hate them!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There is an interview panel today. One of the panel members is some lady that I don't know from the department that is hiring.

- Her soap/candle business is going to be even more profitable because she doesn't have to pay our city income/wage tax or federal taxes on her soap sales because she only accepts cash.
Who voluntarily proclaims they're committing tax fraud at an official function full of business associates they've never met before?

Also what department is she from. Say finance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Is it a fraud when someone sends you money to payoff your credit card but then tells you to go buy 11 itune cards and its for cryptocurrency?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20180505151915AAnH7Yd

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

the lethal questions meathead
I would subscribe to this YouTube channel or podcast

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Droo posted:

Kevin Sorbo's ego and crazy factor is supposedly what ruined Andromeda after season 2 and for that he can go to hell.

quote:

"Robert is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated and too clever for the rest of us to understand,"
- Kevin Sorbo, 18 months before Battlestar Galactica happened. Now that's BWM.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hoodwinker posted:

I was confused about the part where she had to transfer money from savings to cover a $300 meal despite apparently being tipped thousands of dollars.
BWM thinks cash gifts from crazy people are a sustainable source of income and adjusts their lifestyle to match.
GWM knows cash gifts from crazy people are one-off windfalls and uses them to bolster their nest egg.
Nef is GWM.
Be like Nef.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

I honour you for the above statement. Good job!
(not making fun of you)

Is he at fault? Or is the true guilty party the voters who insist on absolute perfection in the real world?

How does things play out when politicians make reasonable decisions based on cost-benefits analysis? How often do their opponents cry out "But the children!!!" and the voters turn on these decent politicians? Better to waste taxpayers money than risk yourself.
If the electorate elect lovely politicians, or elect non-lovely politicians and then incentivize them to act lovely, it's the electorate's fault.
If the politicians do lovely things it's the politicians' fault.
If the politicians and media create an atmosphere where it's easier to elect lovely politicians then it's the politicians'abd media's fault.

Fault and shittiness are not limited resources in politics, and they're not a zero sum game. If everyone is at fault then that doesn't mean the people with the actual individual influence and power to make meaningful, widespread changes are not at fault when they deliberately and maliciously hurt a lot of people for their own disproportionately small gain. And not holding politicians accountable for their actions is the exact opposite of incentivising non-lovely behaviour.

e: countdown to John Smith trying to twist "Individuals in power should be held accountable for how they use this power" into a justification for bootstrap libertarianism and the for-profit prison system.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 1, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

Be the good that you preach and behave righteously yourself. I may preach extremism in personal responsibility, but I myself am the role model that I preach about.
I was kind of expecting you use what I was saying out of context to imply that wealthy individuals with political influence and disenfranchised or poverty stricken individuals have equal levels of agency over their situations. If you don't believe this then I have misjudged you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

Immaterial. No excuses.

We should be willing to defend our beliefs forthrightly. Particularly when the topic involves hypocrisy, our own conduct should be proper.
Wait who's being hypocritical I'm lost now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So when's your lease up?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

No evidence, but I figure it is probably unhealthy and therefore inefficient? I assume that some of my haters like Weatherman are probably terrified of having their worldview changed. That level of fear just seems really unhealthy.

I mean, I understand the liberal perspective, I just don't agree with it. Some people apparently literally cannot understand opposing perspectives. Must be scary to live in a world where there are so many villains, rather than fellow citizens who simply don't agree with you.
People understand your worldview they just find it reprehensible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ashcans posted:

the crazy emails thread.
Tell me more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
1 2 5 and 6 are pretty solid advice, but assuming 3 and 4 are feasible for most people shows a laughable ignorance of how the current economy actually functions.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 7, 2018