Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're in a super-highly compensated part of the universe, why the gently caress would your colleague just not be able to budget for that poo poo in advance.

Because then they'd get their furniture in a month or two instead of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Ixian posted:

Not from or living in Canada but this Canadian story is one of universal first-world BWM - bit long but worth the read:

https://thewalrus.ca/canadas-middle-class-is-on-the-brink-of-ruin/?src=longreads

Standout quote:

To Canadians: What are Canadian bankruptcy laws like? This seems like a cut and dried case, but I vaguely remember someone saying the laws there are much more strict.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Millennials, speaking as one, are a generation of moochers who don't want to admit they get $$$ from "mysterious invisible sources" and "money trees".

This but every generation.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 17, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Papa John Misty posted:

Spend less on horses.

Neigh.

I see the thread is galloping along today.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Presented without further comment:

https://twitter.com/abecker_4/status/952952460410261505

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I just watched the price of bitcoin on coinbase fall below $10k, and by the time I opened my browser to post that here, it was already under $9800

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sundae posted:

Check back in ten years and see how much of those kids' money went to keeping their broke parents from starving in retirement. :shepicide:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Lysandus posted:

Can we share other threads in here, because some dude in the homeownership thread is about to buy a horse.

He had no idea what he was walking in to when he posted the word 'Horse' in BFC.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is amazing and hilarious coverage of that Toronto Wealth, Real Estate (and now Bitcoin!) expo:
https://twitter.com/squawkfox/status/982618809612763136

I'm the "Moneyness" chart.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

zaurg posted:

- They are already spending a $100k salary on a $60k salary. You don't think when he's bumped (counting chickens before they hatch, mind you) to 100k, his wife won't want a nice car upgrade?
- They only have $2k in savings.
- She is pregnant as well, I hear kids can add some expense.
- No mention of retirement savings.

Just LOL at this story being called GWM by BFC on this beautiful Sunday morning. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

*Ahem*

I agree with Zaurg.

-Fin-

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I really did not understand a lot of the advertising saying stuff like "I got my payments to $XXX a month!" I kept thinking "but for how long? You haven't given me enough information to decide if that's good or not!"

Privilege is a hell of a drug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2jVJcyyCo

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

That's pretty awesome.

After reading that, I went and looked at the subreddit for the first time. Every post in there is about nVidia, AMD, Blizzard, Tesla or weed stocks. I was going to ask what kind of dumbass does something like that, but now I know!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Big fan of this bit, too:

I'm not sure what the risks are besides her not paying the loan and the bank coming after me.

To be fair, that is an accurate representation of the risks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

My favorite post from the SlowMo thread

quote:

The 5000 is only on lift days and even at that I probably rarely hit it. I stopped making gains in the summer and decided calories were the bottleneck. I make sure to get 400g of protein and then eat everything in sight.

Typical lift day eating:

breakfast:

2 cups rice

4 eggs

3 scoops whey protein

SNACKS:

3 cans of pepsi

3 candy bars

3 hard boiled eggs

10 cups of coffee with 3 or 4 .5oz half and halfs each

4 PB&J sandwiches

4 bananas/apples or equivalent in other fruit.

Lunch:

2 fried chicken breast

2 corn dogs

500g FAGE full fat total greek yogurt

1 16oz redbull

Dinner:

16oz fruit juice

2 cups rice

2 grilled chicken breast

4 scoops whey protein

3 cups grilled vegetables

3 nice big chocolate chip cookies

I'm making mad gains on my lifts that I wasn't in the summer. But I've also gone from ~12% to ~20% bodyfat.

Whateves. I'll cut in the spring.

edit - I spell good.