Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello thread I'm going to use this opportunity to repost my favorite reddit thread of all time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3l77wy/ny_got_a_job_at_a_pizzeria_only_paid_in_gift/

"[NY posted:

Got a job at a pizzeria, only paid in gift certificates for the pizzeria. Is this legal?"]
I just turned 18 and am working full time in a small pizzeria (just a storefront with pickup to go and delivery.) I am also going to night school part time. I am all on my own and I moved into my apartment and started this job at the beginning of September. I started the job on September 1st. I was supposed to be paid on the 15th for 2 weeks of work (September 1-14). In that time period I worked 96 hours. Yesterday instead of a paycheck my boss gave me gift certificates for the pizzeria instead. He says he can't afford to pay me money and I must have misunderstood when he hired me because he made it clear I would be paid in gift certificates instead of money. He never said anything like that to me. The pizzeria is independently owned so I have no one else to go to about this. I complained to him but he said that it's all legal because he paid me the full amount I would have gotten in money except with gift certificates and that if I keep complaining he will fire me and void the certificates. He also said he could have given me less because I am under 21 and the law lets him pay young people less. All the other people who work there are family of his and he pays them money. Is it legal that he is doing this? I never would have taken the job if I knew I wouldn't be paid in money. I need money to pay for my rent, my books for school and for winter clothes because I only have dresses and I can't just survive eating pizza and nothing else.

And another of my favorites:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post466191293

HORSE TIME SHARE

"My [24F posted:

just had to stand up financially to my [30F] sister and my [56F] mom."]
I am feeling like such a jerk at this moment in time and having mixed emotions on whether I made the right or selfish decision. I apologize if this is a bit scattered, this just happened within the last hour.

My mom, sister and I went in on a horse together 1.5 years ago. We thought it would be a great way to bond with one and other as well as pursue a hobby. We ended up buying a horse that was more or less like a rescue situation, but we didn't know the depth of what we were getting into until later on into our ownership.

The horse will not train well under saddle (which was the sole purpose of us purchasing) , ended up having many health issues that were not prevalent during the vet check, and he destroys the paddock in various ways throughout the week which means we either a) pay for a fix or b) pay for the supplies and fix it ourselves.

I am an avid animal lover, however I am 24 years old trying to get on my own two feet. My mom feels similarly to me and believes we should sell the horse. I would never sell him to the first buyer and be done with it- I would do research on who was purchasing him and make sure we had a buy-back contract so if they felt like he was too much or they weren't interested we would take him back.

My sister and I sat down 6 months ago and had a discussion. We agreed that within 5 months if she didn't want to sell that she could take on my financial part in it- because it is draining my wallet. I am basically shoveling out 300/month (which may not seem like a lot, but to me it is a big chunk of my budget) that could go into my savings.

Fast forward to tonight, I broke the news that I would no longer be financially supportive of this decision as prior discussions and agreements were in place. I have even told my mom that my share of the horse when/if he is sold can go directly into her pocket. That's a minimum of $2500 which the potential of more. My mom and sister are so mad at me right now they wont even talk to me. My sister called me selfish, my mom feels slighted and I feel like finally standing up for myself financially has put me in a really bad place with the two of them.

My sister shops. A lot. She is constantly coming home with designer handbags, boots, coats, and at least 3 times a week there is a box on our doorstep with something new she has purchased online. I don't know the dollar amount of how much she spends on her personal shopping, but it's completely obvious that it surpasses my percentage of the horse, and more.

My mom doesn't make a lot of money, nor do I. Even with a diploma and 'career' I am having a difficult time balancing my budget. I am trying to make the right steps in restarting my savings (which the horse has completely depleted.) My sister has ridden horses for many years, so she is comfortable and safe riding this unpredictable horse, whereas my mom and I can't. We have both been bucked off numerous times, he has even tried to trample me in the paddock twice.

So in my mind my sister was given the opportunity to sell him, make some money, or figure out someone that could maybe lease him to cover my expenses. She had 5 months to figure this out, but she has procrastinated and I just can't afford to fund her hobby anymore. My sister can afford to pursue this hobby comfortably, but she is pointing her finger at me saying it's my fault that my mom has to pay my share when in reality she could afford it and not burden my already financially riddled mom.

I feel like financially I made the right decision, but I could be wrong. I just need some non-bias feedback or opinions on this matter. I am feeling so horrible and I just don't know where to go from here.

tl;dr: I backed out of a faulty investment, gave 5 months notice for preparation and plan making, and nothing was done. I stood up for myself and put my foot down and now I feel like the worlds biggest rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

It means "my parents told me that they're responsible but lied"

just like they're lying about taking care of that mortgage

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good Parmesan posted:

Next, his mom will tell him to go to the office and refuse to leave until he has secured a job. The squeaky wheel.

here honey you can borrow your father's suit

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You can't sell alcohol to someone legal age if you feel that they're going to be distributing it to a minor, this combined with corporate paranoia means sometimes policy is just to card everyone just to make sure some mindless drone doesn't get your company in hot water.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

captkirk posted:

Moosebuger

great now I'm hungry again