Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Is the 270k inflation-adjusted? If not, we can assume 2% inflation so it's only worth around $164,000. If she invested that $8,000 (unlikely) at 5% rate of return after inflation, that's around $27,000 at 25 years. So it wasn't a terrible decision that lost her $262k, just one that lost her around $137,000. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I don't know which would be more satisfying: if the sovcit person got nailed with a ton of back taxes and penalties, or if the employer overwithheld so that the sovcit person would actually receive a refund if they filed taxes.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

quote:

I lost an additional income of $1200 back in Oct 2015 and have been looking for additional work. That loss has put up the debt.

In response to someone telling him he needs to make more money. 22 months ago.

Rough times but as the posters pointed out, his expenses are noticeably larger than his income.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2017

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

BWL: ghosting your girlfriend, who you've been with for three years and lived with for two years, with no notification while she is out of town. In the process, moving to another country without telling her or explaining anything.

BWM: when you're an expat later, she becomes your boss, and you don't think you can find another job in the country.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
From a reply to someone who claimed they hadn't thought through it financially:

quote:

Can see how you might think this, but a lot of thought was given by us to the move, and your analysis leaves no room for the human element - i.e. we NEEDED the change. Melbourne wasn't working for us, even if we were more financially stable

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2017

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
It makes me so happy that even in many crypto success stories like Solice's client's story, the behavior that led to success was the same that people like Bogle and Buffett advise with index funds--buying and forgetting about it.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
In a non-BWM comment, I hope that Solice Kirsk's client is still in the process of selling that Bitcoin given that it's hovering at around $7,000 per Bitcoin now.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Was the BWM thread around in 2008? I can only imagine the stories we will see once the market has a downturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Yep. I know some people that have become stuck working for companies they dislike because they have ISOs that have increased in value a ton while being completely illiquid. So they can't exercise them and they can't sell. Not the worst problem, but there are a million potential gotchas.