Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Haifisch posted:

It came from /r/legaladvice:
NEW YORK: Fighting abusive credit card company

Only $20/hr for warehouse work lol how much does he think he’s going to make with his degree with no experience and that horrible work ethic?

For that $480K judgement, would a judge approve that with his income being so high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

In LA, buying a toll transponder is the best thing I've ever done. I don't use the combination carpool lane/toll lane during rush hour where it can be upwards of $10+ to use it, but during the weekends I'll pay $0.90 to avoid even a few minutes of traffic jam. And if you have 2+ people and a transponder, you can set your transponder to car pool mode and the use of the lane is free. In OC, the toll road is the only reasonable way to get to Riverside county, but Riverside sucks anyways so w/e

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Devian666 posted:

I am continuously looking at the financial shitstorm that's brewing. It's big, it'll be nasty, but it might take a couple of years for something to go horribly wrong. We will get some great stories though.

Is it anything besides stagnant wages, ever-increasing cost of living, automation in a country that thinks jobs = morality, and the fact that some large percentage of the country is unneeded by the economy except for their role as debt slaves?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Well, she didn't have to worry about APPL dividends until about 5 years ago lol

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Bad With Donation Money

Yeah screw clean water or (real) medicine, clearly snake oil is what these children need the most.

Yeah, but what about all the local essential oil entrepreneurs whose businesses they just ruined?!?!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

My dad (61) called me one morning asking me how I was in a passive-aggressive way.

Turns out someone called my grandparents (83) and told them I was in a Las Vegas jail and needed $3,000 in iTunes gift cards to bail me out. Then they put on someone impersonating me and saying I was scared to be anally raped in a jail. My grandparents called my dad and his sister and they told them it was probably a scam. But still, they weren't sure.

Other than the fact that we outright allow rape of prisoners in America and everyone knows it, what other part of that story is believable? And why are working-age adults unsure of the situation? The grandparents, sure, they have significant mental deterioration. But working age adults? iTunes gift cards, my God.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Speaking of elderly medical care, I got to learn that if you're basically anything except for the perfect old person / income stream, no quality elder care facility will even give you a price because you're a "fall risk" or whatever and you have to go to the same default facility that everyone else goes to.

Dear God, please don't let me die like that.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Considering how common fears are about social security evaporating by the time we reach retirement age combined with general assumptions that the economy has been wrecked enough that we'll probably never have things as nice as our parents did while working a similar class of job(no comment on how realistic either is, because :can:), it's not hard to see why.

That and it's easier than ever to find good info about personal finance(including retirement savings), instead of relying on some schlub at Edward Jones or hearsay from your parents/friends for it.

Could've had a slight payroll tax increase on high earners but hey, seeing 20-30 years of my SS contributions vanish into the ether is freedom.

Edit: It took me like 5-7 years to find a decent 401K match. Every company used 2008 to take them away. Where the gently caress are all these millenials finding jobs that have them?!!?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

You do realize that SS is a "pay-as-you-go" scheme, meaning your SS contributions have already vanished into the ether (aka your grandparents bank accounts), regardless of what is done to "fix" SS this time around.

Yes, and I'm sure you understood that I'm talking about SS being solvent unless you're being unintentionally obtuse instead of the standard intentionally obtuse

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Remember going into Best Buy and having the pitch you like 50 different awful sign-up products so they could get the referral? I think that's where I learned to immediately shut down anytime someone starts pitching me something I didn't already have the intent to buy.

Netflix was good though. That was one good thing Best Buy offered.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Spokes posted:

Ain't this the truth. Even with the Blizzard Overwatch League finally guaranteeing a minimum salary (this year. of $50k. for people living in LA.) people are still spending the primes of their lives clicking a shoot button on a computer screen and not picking up any transferable skills. And this is the dream, to say nothing of people playing 20 hours a day trying to break through and GET to the pros. And then the 0.05% of them that do will be tossed on the street for some 17 year old in a few years once their reaction times start to slip past 100ms

And this is to say nothing of literal scams or underhanded management, both of which are only getting worse as more money pours into the industry.

I'm glad i'm already old and lovely at video games or i would have absolutely gotten suckered into this, to be completely honest. There's a real feeling of "Hey, I grew up playing video games when they weren't cool, I deserve to be paid for it now, other people are doing it!" that leads to some pretty insanely BWM mindsets

Agreed that the ones who don’t make it are super loving sad stories.

Small point:

The 50k is to make them accountable to the league and teams and for appearances of making Esports legitimate. The top players make all their money from streaming and content sponsorships. They could make 50k in a few days streaming sponsored content. I know. I paid them. There's more than one League of Legends player who would be taking a paycut if they went "pro" and that took away from their regular streaming time.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 3, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

Add a zero to everything

That isn't even a joke either

All the top Twitch streamers are male so maybe being attractive helps (in everything in life regardless of gender), but I'm skeptical of any suggestion that boobs help at the professional level. And as usual, it's a boys club at the top of an industry. Not an accident.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Lularoe needs to do lootboxes. People expect trash out of lootboxes so it all works out.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

If stretching to lease a 3 series BMW is BWM, then lock up all of Southern California.

(They’ll finance staying at the special jails that aren’t actually jails tho)

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Panfilo posted:

For some people,the act of buying/obtaining is an addictive feeling hence why they shop compulsively and hoard stuff. It isn't so much the utility of using the things, but the rush from getting them in the first place.

In terms of poor people being BWM with wealth signifiers, a lot of times a person that grew up poor knows the things that made them look poor, so when they want to feel not-poor they tend to lean on the most ostentatious displays of wealth. True wealth, such as having practical assets (a paid off house, good health coverage, decent emergency fund) aren't really that visible to everyday people. But a new shiny car, brand named products, and other really explicitly visible displays are much more tangible to them.

On the other side, I have some friends who are basically tier 3/tier 4 "rich kids of China" and they all live off their parent's money. They have no idea what it's like to not have money and their parents, who do know what it's like, are more interested in indulging their every want. The one who's been recently cut off from her mother's money luckily has a decent job, but now she has no idea how finances work but is trying to learn. Luckily financial problems are easier to solve when it's "just don't party like your friends do anymore" and not "triple your income." Their parents have done their children a horrible disservice. Since they're the child's job and emergency fund, if anything goes wrong their kids are going to be completely lost.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

i lost almost all of my friends and had most of my familial relationships strained when a startup i was an early employee at raised money at a crazy number. everyone just assumed i was secretly sitting on like 20 mil, at least. at the time my options were worth around $170k but i wasn't fully vested and they weren't liquid at all. i ended up clearing just over $20k when they finally exited. maybe all those friends and most of my family were actually just lovely all along, but never underestimate how money can gently caress everything up

I've never been at a start-up, but when someone explained to me how all the ways you can be offered stock that's not actually stock and is practically worthless-- holy poo poo.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I assume Australia has restitution.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"Aww, jeez, mate, I spent it all on heroin, and there's no way I buried a sack of cash out in the bush."

Seriously, a banker that doesn't know how to hide cash? Come off it.

EDIT: In this case, I think it's likely that she stole the money to pay off her twenty maxed out credit cards, 125% mortgage, a fleet of SUVs purchased on credit and ways of over-extending credit and plainly wasting money that I can't even imagine.

Courts can garnish your wages in the US.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Do you know what Facebook would charge for those targeted impressions??!?!?!?!

Probably like $10 or something.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

No good chairs for under $5K? You can get a down-filled LC3 for $4,900 if you wait until DWR has a 15% off sale. Come on, Ben! Just gotta be patient.

On topic, I saw Herman Miller trying to pitch their Embody ($1k) office chair to gamers. Gamers buy $300 - $500 pieces of garbage fake race car chairs and equally expensive water-cooled neon light cases, but yeah, no gamer is going to buy an Embody until Summit1g is sitting in one or something. GWM but still BWM.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

When your business model is so suspect that you post “I received money in exchange for my labor” posts to prove your haters wrong.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I think the IRS will pay up to 15% when snitching on small time tax cheats. I wonder how much I'd need to earn to make it worth it to turn someone in. Less than 5 hours, no less than $500 maybe?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I learned today that a friend makes $100k a year (very rich) over the last few years selling her services to MLM morons and affiliate marketers. She sells branding and website/social media packages.

Obviously terrible value for the consumer, but GWM for her.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Palladium posted:

Blizzard: We are making huge bank with WoW
Mobile P2Ware: Hold my beer

Hearthstone money tho

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I travel enough where I get irritated by this too.

Charge me in Euros? Fine. I’ll eat the cost.
Charge me in dollars and I still have to pay the juice? gently caress that.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Holy poo poo that is quite the motley crew of celebrities.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure America is the best place to be upper-middle class. You've got higher income than comparable jobs in other countries in addition to good benefits and a low overall tax rate.

It really is. Don’t forget that America also has relatively open views on casual sex too. And when you’re upper middle class you can use drugs and nobody really bothers you. Plus, unparalleled entertainment options available at all times. America is drat good if you’re in that earnings bracket, can stay in the earnings bracket for 35 or so years, and manage the fear of ever slipping into the working poor knowing there’s little hope to ever get back to where you were.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 15, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If she doesn't sign a lease agreement, many states will consider her a percent owner if she makes any permanent improvements such as a new shelf in the closet.

The boyfriend sounds like a goony What's Mine is Mine!!! type that also wants her to cut the cost of the place for him?

Yeah, the trying to have things both ways is pretty crappy but I respect that he wants to keep the $120K in equity his. Maybe the 10-15 years is something worked out in his head because eventually they'd sell that house and it's an uncomfortable math problem to work out as to what's exactly his and what's hers in that case?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Jeep guy.

quote:

This is the kind of stuff I wish were taught in school. I didn’t know of a 7 year rule

Yeah man, it's the school that failed you. They needed to dedicate a text book chapter on "don't pay $5K in interest on a car."

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 19, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

Overheard a few people sitting in the waiting room of a socialized labor hellhole (:canada:) complaining about how they didn't like the current federal government in general and environmental regulation specifically because "gas is expensive and I drive a truck". Voting against your own long term interests because you spent 1.5-2 years salary on a truck is totes on the BWM spectrum.

California Republicans are currently fighting a gas tax that goes to fund roads. There's holes in the legislation that would be great to be plugged up so it doesn't end up some slush fund, but overall that's exactly how taxes should work and the fact that they're fighting it shows that the right-wing of the US is a disingenuous piece of poo poo. The most attractive part about right-wing politics is that it somehow gets to be the "bootstraps" party and "everyone else is at fault for you not being successful" party at the same time. Seems to be a common element worldwide.

In BWM news, my roommate is broke. That's bad! She had a job in which she was pretty well matched in terms of skill and experience, but it didn't pay enough and she believes she's better than it, so she burned that bridge and left it. In her pursuit of stable income, she literally applies for jobs based on its salary. She applied for a product manager job in an industry in which she has no experience because it paid well. In truth, the hiring manager is at fault here for even agreeing to give her an interview, but she's also dumb for thinking she'd have a shot. She literally looked through catalogs of that particular industry for "research." Is that what people do-- apply to any random $75K a year job and hope they get it?

She's also is buying random drop-shipment bullshit from China to see if she can "resell it" while simultaneously mocking a friend for making an investment that was clearly not going to pay off in a field in which he had no experience. Again, she has no actual experience in digital sales or SEO (whatever's left of SEO). She asked if I would help with this website. Uh, no. At least she's off that Rodan and Fields poo poo, but I count down the days to when I see some sort of Lularoe box at the doorstep.

Her "I'm going to get out of being poor" plan is to find people to "make her a program" that basically does automated A/B optimization testing and UX optimization on websites and QA. She thinks that this is possible because, well, computers. She buys things online so that makes her qualified to do UI/UX consulting. I've explained that some of this already exists, and the other is not really possible to automate at this point but her technical knowledge is so non-existent that I can't reach her and at this point, I don't really give a gently caress anymore.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 2, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Splicer posted:

So when's your lease up?

Not for a while, but I have a contract in place, she has a trust, and my financial exposure is pretty limited so it's whatever.

Dustoph posted:

Wow you really hate republicans don’t you. Let’s just ignore the fact that California has raised gas taxes in the past to fix the roads and then spent the money else where. Ya let’s totally trust this time is different. :zaurg:

And lots of people are against the tax increase (that already went into affect) that aren’t republicans, including myself.

California is BWM.

I addressed that point, and Republicans are not against the gas tax because of spending loopholes. They love spending loopholes as much as anyone. They're against it on principle of all taxes are bad, which as an ideology has hosed this country so bad that they're deserving of everyone's hate.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

GWM: Declaring depreciation on your 20 year old second year NBA player. He’s getting older and must be worse!
Best with money will forever be getting a municipality to pay for your $500m arena though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Ahahaha when you're that stupid you deserve all the bad things coming your way.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

We are a society that believes anything can be overcome except when poor people might benefit. Then it’s impossible even when other countries do it (healthcare, wages, transportation).

Granted, most of the countries that do this stuff well benefit from a homogenous society that’s wildly racist but so long as it’s African population stays under 1%, investing in public services is still investing in themselves.

On the topic of Halo Top, allocate your calories better and you can eat real ice cream. It’s expensive trash.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

My hometown YMCA is great in a town of 100,000 people. Plenty of space there and people I guess see themselves as a community. The mediocre gyms in LA are really, really mediocre. And combine that with the desire for the semi-rich to be both away from poors and people who actually want to lift and voila, you get Equinox.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some people didn't realize this was a poll and flipped poo poo. There were a bunch of people coming up to the HR office (who is next door to me) thinking that they were getting 2% of their paycheck put into the 457(b) automatically. People were claiming that the match didn't matter because they would lose their house if they took out the 2%.

They’re probably going to lose their house at some point anyways if they’re riding a razors edge like that. Hooray!

I consider myself a socialist, but people like this make me reconsider my position in some ways.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is American exceptionalism at work. JFC so many of us are so loving stupid.

Ahahahahahahaaha yeah, America's getting ready to help poor people. Sure man. Because there haven't been poor old people before.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I guess the "retirement accounts are going to be raided for taxes" crowd were somewhat validated when the Trump administration floated the idea as a political stunt? But lol no, that wasn't going to fund social security.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Oneiros posted:

Did they actually float the idea of raiding individual retirement accounts? I know they were looking at reducing the contribution limits to :fuckoff: levels.

You're right. That was the change considered. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

(A very large entertainment company) tried to sell me some user data campaign using data very similar to moviepass once. But it was so expensive that it was impossible to make ROI positive. They really thought that they had some sort of gold mine on their hands. As if one couldn’t target billion dollar franchise fans without this sort of information. The case studies they all gave were basically people who bought super expensive movie replica items which I’m pretty sure you could still nab far cheaper through other means.