Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hoodwinker posted:

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

And yet, I cannot believe how loving excited people get over it.

People that buy them must not understand video games. You go to vendors for trade and you know what you're trading for, money leaves your coin purse for goods. When you 'loot', you have either just slain something and are picking over it's carcass, or you've stumbled upon unattended booty, which you take. At no point during the 'looting' process does money leave your pocket. loving casuals. They deserve to be looted.

Aha! I get it! The vendor is looting schmucks. Got it.

e: /\ /\ /\ I hope she likes Mongeese (Mongoosen?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

best part:

usury, an excellent christian value

How is being beholden to so many different people from whom you rent your entire lifestyle even remotely considered 'rugged individualism'? Last I checked, that meant not owning a lot, but what you have is yours and you know how to fix or care for it. I'm not arguing with you, but with the dolt they wrote about.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

drat, new thread's off to a wonderful start. That's some of the stupidest poo poo I've ever heard.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My Dad has a saying for that: expenses rise to meet income.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When faced with the cycling MMO of peloton and the reality of wanting to watch something while being bored witless on a stationary trainer, cheapness made me clip the phone case to the sweat thingy on the bike and watch youtubes of dudes fixing cars every other day. I find the cycling community can be super cliquish and will actively ostracize you if you show up on a bike far cheaper than theirs. A group of dudes riding Cervelos and Pinarellos, all clad in Rapha, will look down on the dude riding a nice Specialized, regardless of skill level.

Rapha is bad with money, just peruse their poo poo. http://www.rapha.cc/ca/en, It's like the J. Peterman catalog of spandex.

Cervelo and Pinarello can get seriously expensive and their frames are still made in the far east where the cheapies are made, likely in the same factory http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/.. I mean poo poo, you can buy dongguans on ebay that look like unpainted pinarellos.

Roadies can be real bad with money, especially with the whole weight weenie arms race some of them get in to.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hearing about all these overpriced food delivery services got me wondering: What ever happened to the Schwan's delivery truck? Those guys were way ahead of the game on basically the same exact thing.

Holy poo poo! They still exist! http://www.schwans.com/

I'll never forget those ugly tan/brown cooler trucks driving around when I was a kid living in a poor neighborhood. The people that could afford the Schwan's truck had made it..and they'd throw the lobster carapaces over our fence for the dogs to nibble on. :3:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How big of a bloodsucking entourage does Johnny Depp have that he can blow through $30k in wine a month? Didn't our one true god Nicholas Cage have similar issues with stupid spending on stuff like rare comics?

Didn't MC Hammer and Mike Tyson both have huge entourages that all vanished when the money dried up? I still remember seeing Hammer's house on top of the hill over Fremont. Entourages: BWM.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well if you have a taste for wine the absolute best vintage wines are easily $1000+ a bottle wholesale, let alone restaurant markup, even post wine crash. Particularly first growth grand cru Bordeaux you could drink a different $1000 bottle of wine every day of the month.

I certainly feel out of my depth in continuing this conversation. I was imagining him and his crew re-enacting Leaving Las Vegas every night on the $6 magnums of moscato I used to drink. I forget that fermented grape juice can get super exclusive.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cowofwar posted:

Addictions are never cured, only managed. They are always there, lurking, waiting to emerge and take control one drunk evening.

drat, that hits close to home.

I'm not surprised that the Ryzen didn't do much for AMD, a lot of us have been repeatedly burned by AMD/ATI products in the past that all look great on paper and benchmarks, but suck rear end in real-world use. I used to be a hardcore AMD fanboy in the days right after they switched from the ceramic package athlons (thunderbird-> palomino IIRC) and athlon 64. They just keep falling short of what Intel and Nvidia are capable of outside of benchmarks.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How about government BWM/largesse across three separate administrations?

The city of Houston couldn't account for $45 million of affordable housing funds

quote:

Houston has spent about two-thirds of its $161 million local affordable housing fund over the last 10 years, records show. Nearly half of that $96 million was spent on administrative costs, professional services, federal fines or keeping programs running after other grants were pulled. City officials recently discovered that $46 million was available to spend as of March, tens of millions more than they thought.

quote:

The initiative that received the most local housing dollars is the Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority, created in 1999. The idea was to have the city acquire tax delinquent properties, clean them up and sell them to developers interested in building affordable housing.

The city has spent nearly $10 million through LARA over the last decade to buy and market 1,403 lots in low-income neighborhoods. Homes had been built on just 362 of those lots as of February, and 805 remained vacant.

E: Houston has a huge pension funding problem that they keep kicking down the road.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 16, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Why not just buy a massive antec and mod the thing yourself? I mean that looks like maybe $200 of case, tops. For example: antec 1900 red, $269

He could buy a holesaw for $14 at home depot and learn a few things in the process. I'm so happy I got the gently caress out of the case modding scene in 2007, what a cluster gently caress. $639 :captainpop:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How's that graphics card supposed to work? It's not even plugged into the PCIX slot. It's just mounted there, screwed to the box and no riser off the motherboard to it. It's vaporware.

/\ :argh: you mother..friend :glomp:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm torn on whether I should post this here, because normally it would be BWM, but it's "ok" in the sense that they can afford it. But I will since it checks off a lot of the boxes in this thread.

Not only does my mom:
[X] Use and push essential oils on everyone for everyfuckingthing,
[X] she has a horse,
[X] which has cancer, but
[X] she won't send him to the glue factory
[X] despite not being able to ride him anymore (she can basically only feed and brush him),

But she also:
[X] uses essential oils on her horse.

The whole thing is really loving :psyboom:, but my parents are retired and set financially, so I can't really call it BWM, but it would be just about any other time.

Like, it's really hard to talk to her at times, because she turns everything around to essential oils. I mentioned to her that I may have tennis elbow or some kind of tendinitis, which may require surgery. Her suggestion was, of course, essential oils, because there is a "anti-inflammatory" oil. My old man just rolls his eyes whenever she mentions them,.

Are you sure you're not intentionally conflating essential oils with linament to make a more interesting post?

bigeloil is just water soluble ben-gay type stuff for horses. You can use it on yourself too, it's wonderful for sore feet after long runs.

Also, just because a horse is no longer rideable doesn't mean it's meant for the glue factory. Retiring a horse as a pasture ornament is like giving a person a retirement. It's served you well for years, let it just be a pasture critter. Now, if the cancer leaves the animal in considerable pain, euthanasia is always an option, and your mom may have trouble letting go. It's hard for me to understand sometimes, but people get very attached to their horses.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Weatherman posted:

Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Maybe a lot of kids that got raised by Boomers that only did office work and never got exposed to how blue collar folks go about life? Even then I guess the kids would want to 'own their own machine shop'. My apprentice is like that. He barely knows how to run a manual lathe and mill and can't program the machine I'm training him on yet, but he wants to own his own shop. I'm content to let someone else deal with all that business bullshit and I just keep my head down and plug away.

The idea of having someone else do all the work and you get all the profit is pretty nice, but in the end, being the boss has a lot of responsibility. Keeping your employees fed seems like a lot of weight to bear on one's shoulders as a small business owner. I guess some people don't see it that way.