Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm one of those people that took a year off. I did it lifting myself up by my bootstraps by just plain hard work and gumption. I attribute it all to how amazing I am and how much of a ayn randian superhero. ME ME ME.

Just kidding, my parents paid for it(and my education).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Sorry for double post, but Reddit's got some good ones today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6m9f67/wild_debt_situation_my_life_was_changed_by_a_rule/

I would think it's pretty hard to not envision failure when your transcript looks like this: FFFFFFF

I don't understand this. What kind of school just let you replace your F's?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The simple rule of thumb I've heard in middle-class circles is "don't buy a house that costs more than 3x income, or own a car that costs more than 1/3 of income when new", but that wisdom would mean that people that make less than $60k don't get to own cars.

If they follow the rules, then it just means they don't buy NEW cars. It makes even more sense because insurance costs would be cheaper too.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Zo posted:

does the IRS not do random audits? or just not that many? the Canadian version definitely does a lot of them.

i got hit by one when i was still in university and was paying basically no taxes because every penny i earned from internships went right back into school fees. they still tried their hardest to crawl all the way up my rear end in a top hat, asking for stuff like rent receipt for every month from the last three years. wow yeah way to try to squeeze blood from a stone, guys.

I'm pretty sure they do. A friend of my wife got audited TWICE by IRS in a period of 7 years and he just works for a pharmaceutical company. According to him, just deductions for two kids and a mortgage. They were both short audits. He just provided birth certificate and mortgage statements. I don't know how he got so unlucky.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Guys next to me talking about speculating on stocks and crypto currencies.

“Bitcoin is based on nothing. It’s air”

“Yeah but so is money”

I’m sold.

Show him this article

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/with-deletion-of-one-wallet-280-m-in-ethereum-wallets-gets-frozen/

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
bonus:

Why can't we have images as thread titles? :(

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

There are some great threads from Cryptard Tax Truthers. Apparently some of them conclude that because the IRS info doesn't specifically use cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency exchanges, they clearly don't want you to consider exchanges taxable events. Despite an asset swap clearly being a taxable event which 2014-21 outlines, plus all the other asset taxation guidance (525, 551, etc).

Rose colored glasses for the lulz.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/89mcup/before_picking_an_accountant_if_you_have_crypto/

Thanks for this hilarious link. My wife was wondering why I was cackling manically.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Antabuse is loving horrific, though. That should be a last resort. It doesn’t stop the cravings, it just makes giving in horrible and painful.

I think the others are referring to medication like Librium which is a long acting benzo to curb alcohol craving and decrease withdrawal. Kind of like Suboxone or methodone which are longer acting opioids with less euphoric effects.

Antabuse is a deterrent rather than treatment. It works great in conjunction with the above drug.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

Listen, this entire thread is amazing. Seriously. Read the edits and everything. OP describes the experience as Kafka-esque and I have a hard time calling it anything but. It's hard to say if this story is truly a BWM story, but it is a money story, and it's insane and hilarious so I feel it qualifies.

Uber claims I have wages being garnished but won't tell me who's garnishing

This is just a sad story. Doesn't seem like OP did anything wrong. My wife had a run in with CA Franchise Tax Board a few years back thru no fault of her own and it took 6 months of calling and cajoling and even meeting in person to clear things up. I feel sorry for the dude, he's in for some bureaucracy hell.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Yep. I went to the British Museum a few months ago and their antiquities collection was amazing. Also, depressing knowing how it all got there

Same. The British museum is probably my favorite destination of all time and there's a little ambivalence every time I visit. But then I remember that the entire modern world is laid on the foundations of some form of exploitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Wait. What is premium Snapchat?