Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure Amazon could absolutely do something about fraudulently obtained Amazon gift cards if they weren't directly profiting off them (and also if they gave a gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

"We even received what we thought were order confirmations from Amazon but when we called amazon to confirm all this they had no record" makes me think they didn't actually buy Amazon gift cards.

Yeah that part seemed extra weird, like the whole point of buying Amazon giftcards is to kinda-sorta launder money, why would you fake buying them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

And yet, I cannot believe how loving excited people get over it.

It's not about the things, it's about making unboxing videos to show off your box opening skills to a bunch of giddy tweens online

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe she shouldn't have moved to "the snake world" if she didn't like snakes :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

Don't blame that guy, blame John Calvin.

Well I mean, "drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand"

I'm blaming this man with everything.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

How do food safety guidelines apply over state lines? This sounds like you could make / spend a decent amount of money before the lawsuits hit.

I'd think the FDA would probably have something to say about it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BloodBag posted:

How is being beholden to so many different people from whom you rent your entire lifestyle even remotely considered 'rugged individualism'? Last I checked, that meant not owning a lot, but what you have is yours and you know how to fix or care for it. I'm not arguing with you, but with the dolt they wrote about.

He doesn't have a lot of ~assets~ weighing him down, he's free to just drift on out of town on his horse and let all the rest of the stuff get repossessed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of people totally buck against the Working World in their mid-20s. As the reality of post-college life sets in, they have a breakdown and quit their jobs for a year or two, generally go somewhere in Asia for a few months, and then come back without missing a beat.

Not that I doubt this happens or anything but I don't think there's terribly many workers in their mid-20's who can afford to leave work for two years and travel internationally anymore.

I wonder if there's any actual statistics on this since the whole "quit work and backpack across europe" thing seems to be a common story trope but I've never met anyone who actually did it (let alone could afford to)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

poo poo really? I was basing that off of lots of people I know who did it, not a trope. That was in 2011 though (I'm Old)

Most of my friends are poors and my coworkers are techbros who don't really care about that sort of thing so I'm probably getting a skewed sample here :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Plenty of young people can afford to do that - the trick is asking your parents for the money.

Yeah this too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Features: Cancel Online

I agree website, that is the most important feature and thus needed to be listed first.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

The ryzen processor, which set a world record benchmark. It's supposed to compete with the i7 in a way the a12 or fx never could

Yeah the initial news was that it was gonna be awesome, but then when it actually came out it wound up being awesome * **

* for fairly narrow, specific tasks
** specific tasks do not include videogames

My friend at work owned a bunch of AMD stock expecting the new chip to make it skyrocket, maybe I should bring it up a bunch at work tomorrow :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

From what I heard, Intel was cheating and had to pay AMD a fraction of the profits they made. AMD poured that money into R&D and finally made a competitive chip.

So now people are jerking it to desktop x64 processors which is kind of like getting the best seat on the Titanic since that market is shrinking (and sinking) and neither AMD nor Intel have a RISC offering. I can't be bothered to look at AMD's earnings report, but I'm pretty sure it's a rounding error on Apple's chip business.

Apple doesn't make chips, and AMD/Intel are still super profitable since they make the processors that run the entire rest of the internet and (AMD at least) makes the processor in both the Xbone and PS4

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

AMD doesn't either, they sold their fabs ages ago. They do what Apple does: design in-house and have someone else produce silicon.

For some reason I thought that was only for their graphics chips but I guess I misread that, okay :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Do we know the same guy? A guy at my office has been jerking off to AMD for the past year and keeps swinging buy to chat with the dude in the cube next to me about how his AMD stock is gonna finally pay off. Also his watercooled rig. It's kind of to be expected out of desktop techs but also retarded when you work for a non profit with a really stupidly good 401k that he could increase his contribution to.

My guy also doesn't contribute to his 401k at all either (even to get the match) because he's sure he's gonna make a million dollars by age 30 through day trading or something so why should he waste all that possible investment money!? However we don't work for a nonprofit and I don't think his gaming rig is watercooled :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty sure it's all GloFo now.

Ah ok.

Actually thinking about it I remember getting a PC Gamer in the mid 2000's that had a big full-page ad AMD took out saying like "we just poured all our money into this fabulous 90nm process fab factory aren't we great :smug:" and in the same PC Gamer there was a bit about Intel getting close to releasing the 60nm chips, and I think that was the exact split second that AMD stopped being good :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the assumption that all real jobs pay six figures if you just try

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They used to have Home Economics that included things like balancing a checkbook and whatnot.

It was not especially useful because 16-year olds didn't pay attention and the ones that did forgot by the time they were required to do it 3 or 4 years later.

Here we had to take "economics" in highschool but that mostly focused on macroeconomics for the first few weeks and then stuff like "how to run babby's first business" which is totally worthless to 99% of students

We also had to take "home economics" but that was just sneakily disguised sex ed / health class wrapped up in a name that the fundie parents wouldn't throw as much of a fit about I guess, there was absolutely nothing about finances in it, like a single day of class about how to cook and then a whoooole bunch of abstinence-only sex ed, watching lifetime original movies about how if you get teen pregnant you might as well just kill yourself, and good ol' fashioned slut shaming.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think we all know the same guy, except my guy is the bitcoin guy. Like your guy, he's been all over AMD's nuts for the past year. I lol'ed at him yesterday for AMD's tumble, and this was his response:

I don't even :psyduck:

Naturally, he has no retirement accounts, but a sick new watercooled rig, complete with LEDs. And wants to buy a $60k diesel truck.

My guy is more into leasing sports cars and then getting $200 speeding tickets every two weeks than trucks but otherwise sounds the same. Also he's not a bitcoiner but don't worry there's a significantly more annoying bitcoiner at my office to make loving sure that everyone within earshot will hear about how wonderful bitcoins are and how you should buy bitcoins.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

baquerd posted:

Bitcoins are actually looking solid lately, no major scams, price is skyrocketing, and the marketplaces are well equipped with supply and demand. Only thing that would really tank bitcoin is a mass legalization of drugs or some sort of crypto breakthrough.

I hope this is a source your quotes thing or you're just super out of the loop but ever since China started cracking down on using it for money laundering the trade volume in the exchanges collapsed by literally 99%. Also one of the biggest exchanges in the world right now has stopped all cash withdrawals because banks don't want to deal with them anymore, there's a giant petty fight between people who want to fork to make bitcoin actually useful and people who don't, and the price, while high, is fluctuating wildly like it always does.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PewDiePie and H3H3 were both losing money already as tweens got bored with them, and PewDiePie in particular started freaking out and blaming the ~mainstream media~ for turning them against him (and later did that dumb nazi thing etc) so I'm not sure if they're particularly good barometers...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I have a hard time imagining guys like the Game Grumps or Markiplier having a hard time just pivoting into the entertainment industry at large (something both of them already seem to be doing) if youtube revenue dries out.

The really big guys like them are already making low-millions so if they can't pivot to "early retirement" when youtube dries up it's their fault :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

My kid likes YouTube shows, specifically cute boys

I'm not even sure what these YouTube shows are

No I'm pretty sure you got it on the first try right there actually.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I tell you who's really hurting from the rise of YouTube, the old-school purveyors of cute boys, Disney and Nickelodeon. They spend millions on focus testing and casting and marketing, and their lab-grown star gets ignored while little girls swoon over, like, the "back at it again with the white vans" kid.

Disney's already investing a ton in their little spinoff company that buys up popular youtuber contracts. Too bad their flagship product was PewDiePie :laugh:

Also their latest batch of lab-grown TV stars just seem kinda offputting. I've seen some ads for Austin and Ally because they run them 24/7 on Adult Swim presumably because they aren't aware that cartoon network stops existing at 8PM every night or something, and that show has the boring relatable every-girl character done fine but all the male characters are really really effeminate and fab as hell, is that popular now or something? I'm A Gay and even I thought they were overdoing it a ton.

Non Serviam posted:

I'm guessing he got paid for it?

I'm a lawyer for a fairly large apparel and footwear company and, let me assure you, a big chunk of marketing is now going to giving poo poo to YouTube and Instagram people.

Ugh.

My favorite case of this is Big Clive, who does little electronics videos mostly of lights and crappy dealextreme chinese junk. One of the chinese companies offered to send him stuff to talk about and he finally had them send him... a streetlight. Because why not.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 4, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

I always assumed it's pew dee pie

Yeah it's cutie pie but pew like pew pew gun.

:barf:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also:

http://www.nirsonline.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336&Itemid=111 posted:

The cost to deliver the same retirement income to a group of employees is 46% lower in a typical DB plan than in a defined contribution individual account plan.

Some $7.3 billion in public assistance expenditures was avoided in 2006 due to Americans’ receipt of pension income.
In the absence of DB pensions, spending on public assistance for the elderly would be about 40% higher.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Could you translate that into "art degree" please? It sounds interesting but:

Some guy said if you kinda squint you can model every process in society as some kind of exponential curve. The poster then draws the dubious conclusion that as a result equality is impossible, or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think about that one a lot and really, really try to avoid it as much as possible. I think the key is being disciplined enough to pay something (savings, retirement, etc) first and NOT TOUCH IT.

It's not too hard, set savings up to get direct deposited to and make it a separate account at a separate bank so you literally don't even see it at all so you can't get "wow I have $xxxx I could totally buy a horse!"

I mean I guess it's hard to actually get people to do that...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Being able to sell ideas using sleazy car salesmen tactics and massive oversimplification is something republicans are really good at and while I'm not sure what this guy's political party is or anything it's nice to see someone using it to get things done instead of to convince people killing them is good for freedom or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I guess the optimist in me looked past the everyman car buying analogy and at the part where he says, "We need to get the state running with that kind of foresight and not just looking at the next budget or election cycle." I realize it's not verbatim but that's an incredibly valuable outlook.

Yeah it's terrible car advice but it's the kind of salesman car advice that 90% of the population thinks is really good car advice coming from a helpful salesman that just sounds like common sense and I guess i'm okay with horrible manipulative mind control tactics being used for good? Man the trump presidency has made me reevaluate a lot of things...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Not to dive into politics but if you didn't read his "sage financial advice" as a literal snake dressed up in a human suit hissing at you to come closer so that it could eat you, you need to have a little more critical of an eye toward statements made by your politicians

Yeah that's obvious, my point was more that that stuff works on a lot of people and since convincing people with reality has clearly failed us we might as well try it :smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was a Republican and his campaign platform was:

1) Eliminating "Smart Growth" rules to allow the building of a mall and allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots
2) Changing the state tax code to give bonuses based on age, so seniors could get larger caps on credits and college students who live with their parents don't get credits that they don't need.
3) To fight a court order by the Housing and Urban Development Department halting a proposal to tear down an affordable housing unit and sell it to Marriott.
4) Add more lanes to our back-roads and downtown main streets.

Oh well :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This was good and then I got to the punchline of "She posted pictures to her facebook with her friend who live an hour away of them driving around in the car."

:pusheen:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheQuietWilds posted:

Do you really not understand conspicuous consumption? Like, I try not do it much, but I get why people do.

Yeah it's just this. People don't spend that kind of money to clothe themselves or to ensure fair treatment for laborers, they spend it because it lets others know that they can spend it and pretty much only that reason

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Something to keep in your back pocket: when you’re buying from a chain store, you’re helping contribute to the retirement of the millionaire or billionaire CEO. When you’re buying from a small business owner, you’re helping pay for that family’s groceries

... and towards the millionaire or billionaire CEO of the MLM company who has set themselves up to benefit from the "small business owners" the same way a normal boss benefits from workers but with the added perk of not having to pay for pesky things like health insurance or follow federal employment laws!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

Hopefully that won't happen, because the bike they're talking about is an indoor exercise bike where you join an MMO spin class. You can sprint up a hill early and yell Leeroy Jenkins to your heart's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBLgz0DjQ4

Ah so it's a lovely exercise bike that normally would cost like $200-$400 but now it's internet connected and has a screen so it's an order of magnitude more, yep that definitely belongs in this thread.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

well, that's my way of disagreeing

that is, if you think that "expensive thing = bwm unconditionally" then yeah you're probably a penniless crybaby

It's a stationary bike that connects to the internet, even if you don't think it's BWM it's at least a silly expensive IoT bullshit thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scudworth posted:

It's a spin bike, not a stationary bike or a regular form of exercise bike. The mid-range ones cost $899+, and the high end ones cost 2k even without a screen.
That is a normal price for a really good spin bike with the benefit of not having to hook your tablet up to it to watch Netflix during a workout as people often do.
Yes, a regular lovely exercise bike can cost 200-400 as you said before but that's not what a spin bike is.

I'm legitimately curious what the difference is. They're both stationary bike-shaped things you pedal right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Spin bikes have a flywheel which is directly linked to the pedals, if you stop pedaling the momentum of the flywheel keeps it going, while a stationary bike tends to have a free wheel which will keep spinning on it's own, but won't continue moving the pedals. They also tend to have better/easier adjustments for things like resistance (since when you're using spin bikes, you tend to modulate the resistance regularly throughout a session). The real main difference though is that a spin bike is designed to feel more like an actual bike that you'd be out riding with. That means that it's shaped differently so that you sit leaning forward more, it's built better to handle the fact that you're going to get up out of the seat and "climb" a "hill" or to do a sprint (e.g. pedal while standing up on the pedals) to work out different muscle groups. They also tend to use *some* of the pieces of real bikes (a big one is pedals, it's common to have pedals that use a SPD or Look Delta cleat system that clips specially made shoes onto the bike pedals, allowing a better transfer of power from your body to the bike, and allowing a harder workout to be achieved without sacrificing safety).

A typical stationary bike tends to have a more comfortable seat, is less "heavy" (important when you're out of the seat), and is just generally designed to be used by sitting on the seat, setting a resistance beforehand (or stopping and adjusting it then starting back up again) and just pedaling while sitting there the entire time whereas a spin bike more accurately reflects actual biking through varying terrains.

Huh thanks, I always just thought those were different "features" on a regular stationary bike when I've used em' at the gym.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Probably the same as this 27 year old guy - an average guy with an average knowledge of money. Unfortunately for them, the venn diagram between 'average with money' and BWM has a lot of overlap.

In yet another way the old world bloodlines are establishing their superiority over our mongoloid north american heritage, the Finnish have invented a better horse derby by culling and hopefully eating the weakest link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAY-ZskKiXA

:perfect:

That one girl with the red hair and choker has a cute look, I wish I had that cute look I like that cute look :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I always thought that was funny, when the cycling world was abuzz with a new helmet design that's 30 grams lighter than last year's.
And the male pro cyclers have a ponytail coming out the back of it.

The only moral wind resistance is my wind resistance :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My mom sells Rodan and Fields or something like that but as far as I can tell she's managed to self-limit it to not become an all-consuming hell like a lot of MLM bullshit and generally just uses it as an excuse to get all the ladies together to drink wine and giggle :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

So what you're saying is... if I somehow invent an MLM that sells books for book clubs I'll be rich?

This sounds like something that would already exist...