Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I see and hear ads for man-focused divorce attorneys all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just like blue story...

Banned, so fuckin banned

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
None of us do! It's a BFC Rule for some reason.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$120k in student loan debt sucks balls but it's not that uncommon, and student loan debt isn't Shameful.

They're both broke as poo poo, have a negative net worth, and he makes 25% more than her. What's she freaking out about?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're both bought with the intent of selling them at a higher price in the future, nobody disagrees on that part.

But the difference between an investment and a speculative bet lies in "what value do they have if you never sell them".

Owning a fractional share of all the companies in the S&P 500 index has intrinsic value based on its underlying products, services, and cash flows.

A bitcoin you don't sell is worth $0 all day every day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Monkey Loves you!

Monkey needs a Hug :qq:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's fun to be a Market Timer!

(This is a buddy who went 100% cash in November 2016 in preparation for "The big crash")

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homer "J" Simpson actually wears blue pants

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, on the plus side, "everything they had" wasn't very much at all!

A $5,000 boat + $5,000 in repairs/upgrades + whatever belongings they had on the boat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, my parents (who graciously paid every penny of my college tuition) told me that I was ABSOLUTELY going to walk at my graduation and would be showing them my diploma or paying them back in full.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mmmmmmm inheritance disputes are absolutely the best.

You get to see people's true colors without any of the hassle of winning the lottery.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I hear all these cautionary tales and I bet they're all valid and true

... but I still think I could make it work

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's a cringe inducing weirdo for sure, but sometimes I feel like this thread strays into "Don't marry below your caste" territory.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, cash gifts from family are always a bad idea unless they're 100% no strings attached, no power granted to the giver.

My grandparents left me a $40k trust when I was born, and my parents said I could use it as a down-payment on a house some 12 years ago. I've since paid off the 80% that was financed, but technically it's owned outright by the trust and so I need my parents to sign off on a sale.

They're refusing to sign because I'm being "unappreciative" by wanting to sell and buy something else.

OH well! At least when I'm 40 I become the owner, unless my parents get mad at me one day between now and then? I'm considering that money gone because I refuse to be controlled in any way for any sum of money, but the whole thing is very gross and not doing our relationship any favors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah, there's a million and one ways I could've avoided this. I'm not trying to say "how could this have happened!!".

Accepting money from family is BWM unless it's literally "here's some cash, do whatever you want with it and never pay it back"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah, I got owned pretty thoroughly on this one. I was 22 and had no clue what I was doing.

My parents are legitimately mentally ill and try to control their children with money. They were very opposed to me taking the high paying job that I got out of college and I think this was a plan to try and siphon as much of my net worth away as possible to try and maintain control.

Family!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nah... the whole thing was just confirmation of my longstanding suspicion that they're crazy/bad people.

It's Family Tradition for the past 4 generations that the parents are huge pieces of poo poo that manipulate their children in exchange for inheriting The Family Fortune, but the family money has shrunk enough and my siblings and I are highly paid enough that we mostly are just sad that our parents suck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My parents stole a $380k condo from me and my fiancee is too poor to sign a prenup

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

potatoducks posted:

I think it can be used for a parent to help their kids build up a credit score right? Assuming they have a good relationship.

The screwing can go both ways, though. Still a bad idea!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Weddings get a bad rap around BFC, but uh... it's literally the single most important thing in the entire world to many people and they'd wipe out their savings with a smile on their face if it meant their dream wedding was a reality.

I fault them both for not knowing what's important to their partner.

Obviously the parents suck too but you're an idiot if you count on receiving Gift Money until it's in your hand.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He had no idea she wanted this wedding so bad, and she had no idea he wanted to buy a house

Like she was actually calling it a success that they're coming out of this without any "Post wedding debt", lol

They're not on the same financial page at ALL

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah but his page is an actual page from a book and her page is a piece of yellow stained toilet paper with crayon markings all over it

I agree with you personally, but I understand not everyone does.

I've seen fortunes pissed away on Bar Mitzvahs and Quincinieras, but... whatever makes people happy I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Our 401k provider gave us a cool stat recently.

About 75% of husbands say that they fully and completely handle the family finances without input from the wives.

About 75% of wives say they're involved in handling the family finances.

No wonder errybody gets divorced

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jesus Christ the reddit community does not have a good attitude toward women

"You can offer to work more to make up for the money your "princess-for-a-day" event cost (and channel every penny into investments... not Jimmy Choo's or Prada handbags), but he might go either way."

"Going forward, the ball is in your court to be good with money, and never, ever badger him about spending money he doesn't want to spend. And if he tells you "no" (as he should, being the one who understands money), you'll have to gracefully defer to his decisions rather than complain about them. "

"Usually irresponsible people take the "accidentally forgot my bc" trap baby route in my experience."

"his new wife who just spent up all his money on one day of frivolity has the gall to wonder when he'll just get over it. Horrible."

"If I were him I would feel like a broken piggy bank. She doesn't give two shits about me, my effort or my time. It is all about her and nothing I can do will make it better."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

the wedding was just a giant ego trip for her,

Don't be gross, dude. Women can want a big lavish wedding without it being mental illness.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

A massive ego isn't a mental illness. I have no doubt she had a great time. For her husband it's an issue, otherwise she wouldn't have posted.

Oh, you know what I mean. She sucks big time for putting her own needs so far ahead of her husband's, but there's nothing inherently wrong with spending Whatyouthinkisacceptableforawedding + $N

A big fancy wedding can be important to people for many reasons other than "LOOK AT ME!!"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

It's pretty funny how hard you are justifying her actions, and her parents.

Many of her actions are inexcusable and I've never said one word about her parents. What on earth are you talking about?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

"Some people really love weddings, nothing wrong with that! This is a miscommunication issue! They just aren't on the same page! Oh wow reddit doesn't like women, they want her to pay back the money!" You're trying your hardest to deflect blame from her.

Incorrect my friend. She deserves at least 50% of the blame and I've never said anything to indicate she deserves anything less.

I also never said anything about "they want her to pay back the money", so I don't know what to say in regards to that. Did you get confused about what part of "You can offer to work more to make up for the money your "princess-for-a-day" event cost (and channel every penny into investments... not Jimmy Choo's or Prada handbags), but he might go either way" I thought was deplorable?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

Quit being retarded. Every post you made definitely was putting as little blame as you could on her.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Relax maybe? I think she's a real piece of poo poo, if that makes you feel any better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did that Dumb Money-Grubbin' Bitch Golddiggin' Whore say if the wedding was totally nonrefundable? I just can't believe the husband went along with a $190k wedding if he wasn't totally on board with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

I believe there was major non-refundable deposits discussed. It seems clear they were past the point of no return.

EDIT - I didn't read the posts clearly enough to tell if I'm confused or if their story is sketchy. It seems inconsistent on how much had been prepaid, why it was prepaid if the expectation was for the parents to have paid for it, and why they "had no choice" but to go all-in when they still had to liquidate a ton of stocks to be able to pay for it.

Maybe it's just hard to follow because of what a huge mess it is

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I'm definitely gonna admit I assumed the total wedding costs were like $50k or so.

Did they mention what their income is like? Dude accumulated $100k in 5 years which isn't very impressive in a raging bull market.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

I spent more time reading the thread than what I should have. In one of the replies there was discussion of him having $150k in investments that he sold off. Then she said that the amount covered 80% of the cost. I don't want to go through it again it was painful enough the first time.

I think there's a lot more to this that wasn't said, but we'll never know.

Isn't it weird when stories like this just grab you way more than they should?

Back in the blue story era, I got sucked into that to a probably unhealthy degree

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Virtue posted:

It is possible to criticize a woman without being a misogynist. Or maybe it isn't, what do I know.

Even in the current market you'd have to save 5 figures a year to end up with that much. Far from chump change.

Oops, I phrased that poorly. I was trying to say they're clearly not big enough ballers to have a 190k wedding if they're only able to save 100k in a 5 year span.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmm... My HOA community has a swimming pool. If some idiot kid dies in it, could I get hit with a huge special assessment?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Good Parmesan posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7bgxul/usa_i_think_credit_cards_are_nothing_but_scams/

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53ehgz/girlfriend_of_5_years_asked_if_i_would_sign_on_as/
Girlfriend of 5 years asked if I would sign on as co-owner of an LLC she is creating for her candle business. How would this affect me in terms of taxes and legality issues?

Jesus why does the credit card guy talk like that!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I love his pseudo-intellectual babbel coupled with him not knowing that cash is a thing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is an interesting one! I've got the same type of parents ("Do as we say or we Take Away Everything!!") and my life has been significantly better since I told them to pound sand.

The reddit attitude is pretty beepboop "Boyfriend < College Education; action is sub-optimal" and someone actually said they're glad they got the haircut their dad demanded because otherwise they would've had to take out student loans.

Gross!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bird in a Blender posted:

Later on she says the guy is 12 years older than her. Parents are trying to save this lady from some BWL decisions.

What's wrong with dating a 33 year old with a kid? I'm 31 and if I only considered childless non-divorcees I'd have like 1/10th the options.

Disclaimer - I didn't read anything else about the 33 year old so I'm not trying to defend him if he sells crack to amputee children or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Barry posted:

I fully understand that it's easy to say that and there will always be another "do as I say for another financial reward" but that might be the world's most expensive mop-top.

That's the thing, the haircut isn't a haircut, it's a life long commitment to whatever job, city, house, car, spouse your parents choose for you.

Once you've taught your parents, your boss, your spouse, etc that they can control you with "Do as I say for another financial reward" they'll keep doing it.

I'm with you on "I would cut my hair for $10,000" as an objective statement, though.